South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 07-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Default DIY STi Intercooler undertray...

After purchasing an STi intercooler my bugeye I started looking around at intercooler undertrays to fit the I/C.

After some hunting around it was apparent that the STi undertray and splitter would only fit within an STi scoop due to its height. As I was unable to afford a scoop, genuine undertray and have it sprayed etc at this moment in time, I decided I would do as the Americans do and fabricate one myself. After all, how hard could it be!!!??

First off, I/C fitted. The cooler came from a Type UK so had plenty of flaking paint, so this was rubbed down and resprayed.

I then played around for an hour or so making up a cardboard prototype to fit the shape orientation etc. This involved using my existing etc shape (very roughly) for sizing etc.

This was transferred to some 1.5 ali bought from a local sheet metal firm.

Let the benning begin...

I then bolted this up to the car once the bolt holes had been aligned to check for continuity.

Surprised at the fit first time I continued bending and cutting. I got myself a rivett gun to make the finish alot more oem rather than bolting as I had originally intended.

Things were now starting to take shape well I thought...

Making the seal was obviously an important factor. Getting it snug was something else. Fortunately my constant measuring had paid off and things fit rather well. I got hold of some vertical rubber boot seal from a local motor factors. However I needed 1.5m and it only came in 4m lengths. So I have some spare!

It was now time to see how the fit was. I think the pictures show the fit was like. Not bad for first time...

Old against new...

As the STi undertray had a built in Splitter/duct, I felt this was now needed. I decided to use a pivot at the back with bolts at the front and elongated holes to allow the splitter to work should I get an STi scoop at a later stage, allowing me to raise the height of the splitter.

Now fitted with scoop on...

Ran this for a couple of days to see how it went and decided to spray it to make it more oem.

Now finished product...

Obviously with all the back and forth to fit to the car this took me a good few hours. But I have to admit I'm pretty pleased with it, even if my back did kill for a day or two after from the bending over the table and engine bay.

Total cost for those interested:

1.5mm ali sheet (1250mm x 2500mm) = £6.46
4000mm Rubber boot seal (only 1500mm required) = £15
Spray paint = £6.99

Total = £28.45

Obviously if you want to include the rivett gun etc you can but that was an investment as far as I was concerned...

I just felt that with my lack of engineering background and a little patience, I would share my little effort with some of you...

Comments most welcome of course..

Rich
Old 07-01-2011, 05:58 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Looks like a good job.

1 x sheet 1250 x 2500 ali . you could go into business with the off cuts.

So whats your next project??
Old 07-01-2011, 06:04 PM
Bronze Member

I think that project will be done by someone called simon and involve a tweak!
Old 07-01-2011, 06:05 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Build some more & sell them
Old 07-01-2011, 06:29 PM
Silver Member

Nice work
Old 07-01-2011, 06:32 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

thats a really impressive piece of work mate

looks like a better job than the original sti undertray!
Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Looks good but would of left it without the duct on personally
Old 07-01-2011, 10:22 PM
Regular User

Pucker job mate like it. Like the split fin too