South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 15-02-2011, 01:07 PM
Bronze Member

Default Preparing for sprinting in MSA Roadgoing Production class

Thought I'd start a thread in projects since the thread in Profiles is turning into a project thread anyway, plus I thought this could give some info for those thinking of sprinting in the near future.

I have entered the Borough 19 Sprint series, http://b19.tjgraphics.co.uk/ in the 4WD roadgoing class. Rules and technical regulations are set out by the MSA blue book which is a bit of a tough read, but simplified means

FIA racesuit
MSA spec helmet
Timing strut needed
Full interior except carpets - all controls working including heater, race seats allowed to replace OE seats
No spherical joints (no rose jointed suspension and no adjustable top mounts)
Pump fuel only
List 1A or 1B tyres, so basically any road legal rubber is allowed
Rollcage is reccommended, not required

In 4WD class engine size is unlimited, so any power goes

So main part of budget was spent making me safe, since I didn't have a race suit and my trackday helmet was out of spec (type A isn't enough anymore, it needs to be type A/FR, FR means flame resistant), £400 later and they are both sorted.

Then you have to join a club (B19 was £24) and apply for a MSA non race B license - cost £40, then enter the championship (£20)

All I have to do now is fit a timing strut and I can compete.

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport
Old 15-02-2011, 01:30 PM
Bronze Member

So I have a plan to make me more competitive.

Strip out all sound deadening and remove carpets
Fit lightweight battery
Remove OE fuel tank and replace with bespoke tank mounted in boot
Fully polybush the suspension

1st one is easiest to do on a budget, but time was tight since I still need the car for daily duties and everything had to be done over a weekend, so Friday night and out with the interior

there was a bit of surface rust but not too bad, Thanks to James for the advice I set to it with a blunt chisel and a hammer

This took most of Saturday, for Sunday I decided it needed some paint so out with the hammerite, time was an issue so I didn't bother taking off the glue residue since it was being covered anyway...

Had a little helper hoovering all the little bits out

Once painted I soon realised not taking up the glue was a mistake, it reacted with the white paint and showed through, oh well its never going to be concours anyway and actually isn't that bad, doesn't show up in the pics

Wiring tidied after taking this, the stereo and speakers now removed, kids not happy on the school run!

I have race seats but I fitted the OE ones back in, its just more easy getting in and out - I have bought another set of runners which I plan to modify so the race seats sit lower, then its a case of 4 bolts and swapping seats over before race day.

Since the white paint reacted I rushed out and bought some black paint for the boot

I have had a firewall and rear shelf made up in GRP from a member on 22B, that will be installed once the fuel tank goes in.

Now I am awaiting a huge delivery from Alyn at ASP, once here I can get on with the battery and polybushes.

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport

Last edited by Justin; 15-02-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 15-02-2011, 02:01 PM
Nige

Not that expensive to get into really. No top mounts i didnt know that & as for tyres 888's are ok?
Keep us posted buddy & good luck.
Old 15-02-2011, 02:18 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks, 1st event is on the 13th March at North Weald and I have alot to do!!

Yes 888's are listed as 1B and I only found out that the adjustable topmounts that you get with the likes of BC coilovers are outlawed because I thought my AST suspension was also not allowed, but its not the coilovers that are the issue, its the spherical joints used in the mounts, you can use coilovers with the OE mounts no problem, phew. I'm sure Noltec did adjustable topmounts with bushes rather than rosejoints, if so that that could be allowed - as you can see the Blue book is a minefield

Old 15-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Very nice Justin

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 15-02-2011, 06:46 PM
worzel

Good stuff Justin, keep us informed.
Old 24-02-2011, 12:37 AM
Bronze Member

Fuel tank is ready and I collect it on Friday, so spent this evening running wiring to boot for fuel pump and also first fit of firewall and shelf.

If all goes well a lot will be happenning this weekend

Old 24-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Platinum Member

have a busy one and good luck for the years events
Old 24-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Regular User

Hi Justin, really interested in this. I'm finding track days at brands are not providing the challenge/competition I'm looking for. Sprints could be the answer for me. I am going to try a pop along to a few meets and see what its all about, by the sounds of things ill have to update my safety equipment and loose the rose jointed suspension bits then Ill be all set. Good luck with all this Ill be keeping a close eye on the tread.
Old 24-02-2011, 09:09 AM
worzel

I think a bunch of folks will be going along to watch some of the sprints.

Hopefully Justin will post the dates up
Old 24-02-2011, 06:30 PM
Platinum Member

Looks good mate
Old 24-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Bronze Member

Good luck, I may well see you at a few events this year. I have been sprinting for the last 2 years in a Civic Type R and then an S2000. Going 4WD for the first time this year although I am running as standard.

Just something to be aware of on the tyre front is that I believe 1b tyres will not be allowed in roadgoing classes after 2011. They were brought in for 2010 by mistake and they are looking to phase them out again, but have left them for this year as not to annoy those who bought them for 2010 who still have a good amount of rubber left to use. Caterham/Westfield owners were annoyed that their cars were supplied with 1b tyres yet to compete they had to 'downgrade' to 1a. When they ammended the rules to allow the Caterham style classes to run 1b they didnt specify it was just for that class alone. Unless you already have the 888's, it might save you a bit of cash!

Meant to add you could run in the modified class as you are as an alternative to trying to get it back on an eligible condition for roadgoing.

Last edited by rossmarts; 24-02-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 24-02-2011, 07:05 PM
Authorised Trader

nice one Justin

be good to see how you progrees this year

all the best, alyn

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 24-02-2011, 11:10 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks all

Ross that shouldn't be a problem regarding 1B tyres next year, I will always need a set for non MSA sprints like the odd grudgement day and SSO.

Regarding dates they are listed on the B19 website, its 7 rounds count from 12 so I won't be at all of them. What I will do is put a thread up in the 'Goings on' section as soon as I send off my entry fee. 1st sprint is 13th March but if the car isn't ready then I won't be there - its a bit touch and go and cut off date for entreis is a week on Sunday!!

Old 25-02-2011, 05:53 AM
Platinum Member

Good luck buddy from Baz and Shaz
Old 25-02-2011, 08:06 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Thanks all

Ross that shouldn't be a problem regarding 1B tyres next year, I will always need a set for non MSA sprints like the odd grudgement day and SSO.
Ah fair enough. I know a few people who feel that they shelled out for them 'unnecessarily' and weren't too pleased about it. They tend to focus on MSA events only though. That said , you get much better track time for you money at the non-MSA events.
Old 25-02-2011, 08:17 AM
Bronze Member

I actually agree with 1A only for roadgoing - the class should be budget motorsport to encourage more entries, I went through 2 esets of 1B tyres last year doing 6 events - one set were too soft and i trashed them at one event, the next set were 'managed' through the rest of the season - I doubt they saw 20 laps at Elvington

Old 25-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I actually agree with 1A only for roadgoing - the class should be budget motorsport to encourage more entries, I went through 2 esets of 1B tyres last year doing 6 events - one set were too soft and i trashed them at one event, the next set were 'managed' through the rest of the season - I doubt they saw 20 laps at Elvington
I ran 1b last year on my S2000 although not 888's as they were the best part of £1k. Like you say it is supposed to be a budget form of motorsport, accessible to anyone and that change to the regs made it less so.

Not sure if he is still running or not, but watch out for Logan Black in his Evo. He used to run in the borough 19 series and can really pedal. Would be good to see a Scoob give him a run for his money
Old 25-02-2011, 08:44 AM
Authorised Trader

fairly sure Logan doesn't have the EVO anymore........not sure what his plans are this year

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 28-02-2011, 05:45 PM
Bronze Member

I know Logan, chatted with him a few times, most recently last month and he will be competing this year, not sure in what though

Had a good weekend, picked up the fuel tank which was extremely well fabricated, took an age ripping out the OE fuel tank and associated stuff but once fitted I was well happy with the outcome

Had real trouble with the polybushes (well not me, I was doing the fuelling whilst the bushes were coming out), problem wasn't getting them in, or out it was removing the bolts that were all siezed - I managed to rip a captive nut holding on the t-bar ,didn't know I had it in me so half the bushes were done and half still to do. Suspension won't be ready now for 13th but I still might compete anyway as is...

Old 28-02-2011, 06:49 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Nice

Any baffling or foam?

Interested to know if you notice it handling wise moving tank from low down to high up but lighter etc

Old 28-02-2011, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

No foam but internal baffle, regarding handling I can run 5 kg fuel with this tank (didn't weigh it but its about 5kg) vs 20kg fuel and 20 kg OE tank.

BTW it can take 50 litres fully fuelled which would affect handling negatively I think, but then again I'm not sprinting with a full tank

Old 28-02-2011, 07:55 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

now on pc I can see the pot in the bottom, nice

Sorry didn't mean the weight thing as a critisim, I am really interested to see if you notice as the OE tank is in a really good place but obviously you have probably saved about 15kgs here overall.. but if 10kg higher up (5kg tank and 5kg fuel) noticable.

currently I am sticking with OE tank in new car, but I like the look of this.

Simon

Old 28-02-2011, 08:51 PM
Bronze Member

Helps with weight distribution if you have a really heavy engine in the front, lol

If there is enough interest I could get some more made, but the fabricator did this as a one off, he isn't set up to do a run but is about a month away from being able to do so.

Old 28-02-2011, 08:55 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

cool

Old 05-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Bronze Member

Managed to mount battery today, will wire it in next week

Hopefully will have the rest of the bushes done by the end of this weekend, then mapping Thursday, suspension on Friday and competing on Sunday, no rush then

A few more pics of the boot, note OE tank lid used so that fuel gauge in dash works

Old 11-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Bronze Member

Its been a long week and still not finished...

Got the bushes done, Had a good mapping session with Simon at SRR, rear diff survived the car getting a bit of air on the road test - brakes are good too!

Suspension all done and cornerweighted at AST, but during the trip to AST I discovered the radiator has a small leak managed to get it home OK but it would never be allowed on track like that (wouldn't want to either) so a quick call to Stew at TFS and a new one being fitted tomorrow.

Just that and a timing strut to make and I'm almost ready for Sunday

Old 11-03-2011, 11:38 PM
worzel

Lookin bloody sharp Justin. Glad it's all coming together nicely, good luck on Sunday
Old 12-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Lookin bloody sharp Justin. Glad it's all coming together nicely, good luck on Sunday
exactly...good luck m8
Old 16-03-2011, 06:28 PM
Gold Member

Just been reading through this thread, good stuff!

Looks like I'm a little too late to wish you luck with your first event, so instead I'll say I hope it went well!
Old 16-03-2011, 07:22 PM
Platinum Member

Comming along nicely mate, need more pics
Old 16-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Regular User

Yes more pics.....Your doing well and its looking good
Old 22-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Bronze Member

Good work mate, watching with interest
Drag PB 9.36 @ 151mph
Key sponsors - Zen/AS Performance/Stella Motorsport/Area 52/SD Motorsport
Old 22-03-2011, 12:45 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Coming on well

Keep the updates coming
Old 26-03-2011, 08:02 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks all,

Had a good day testing at an airfield trackday at Hullavington yesterday, playing with suspension settings and more importantly getting seat time to gel with the new changes for this season.

Found out the tank setup works well to the last drop of fuel, accidently ran out on track - well I got fuel starvation, then seconds later the fuel pressure warning beeps at me, I manage to limp to pits on light throttle to find sight gauge empty

Also found out that with 400HP, a hot day and a lot of high gear WOT means only 3 laps before oil and water temps run away. I'm sure that too quick so I may have an airlock in the coolant still, so I'm going to drain it down and refill from scratch.

Huge thanks to C.J. for helping out on the day, we had a bit of fun once I'd found the settings I was happy with - rude not to really since he had been patient all day watching me go solo so he didn't throw out the cornerweights

Bring on Lydden!