South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 28-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Bronze Member

Default My ECU

Right guys im not intending on doing anything yet but would be nice to know for the future.

My car is my01 classic with ppp

I am slowly (very slowly) starting to gather bits and bobs, iv already got;

90degree td05 16g turbo (needs the conversion)
autobhan fmic

need to get headers and my injectors flowed, maybe pump and then im ready to do the old upgrade thingy.

What i would like to know is what are my options regarding controlling the new parts, do i need a remap, new aftermarket ecu, boost controller?? again unfortunately im very much dependant on costing of it all.

I already have full 3inch exhaust with hks mushroom filter and forge dv

I need all your wisdom

Thanks in advance

oh and what would i be expecting power wise??
Old 28-01-2011, 05:18 PM
Silver Member

I have a TD05 front entry housing from AFP 2500 miles on. Ggreasy and oily but as new. £40 delivered.
Old 28-01-2011, 06:40 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

With those mods defo remap.

ECUTEK remap with the addition of a 3 port boost control solenoid as well. p.s I have one for sale say £28 delivered. £25 collected . The Ecutek should be able to control boost well enough.

Alternatively next budget up is an Apexi and map, or plenty of other ECU's for more money if you want anti lag etc

Last edited by RobEvo5; 28-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 28-01-2011, 06:41 PM
Nige

Yes Scott A remap for you. I take it your putting the f-mount & turbo on at the same time? If ours is already a ppp it may have an uprated fp? If not then you will need one £70 approx + & Scott ss may answer this, bigger injectors. Not sure on the extra bhp you will make as unsure what your present bhp is. It will make you smile for a while then you will be chasing the big 400
Old 07-02-2011, 01:45 PM
Bronze Member

OK so another question - i assume as my car has ppp it has a prodrive ecu...yes?

And so i beleive this was an existing ecu in which prodrive has already remapped, so would i only have to pay for a standard remap and not a license?

Or as an alternative if i cant do that can i run a fmic without a remap? obviously i want it to be safe iv had advice that i could just use a boost controller but these seem expensive anyway!!

Any advice would be welcome

Regards

Scott
Old 07-02-2011, 08:14 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

There's more knowledgeable folk on here than me when it comes to ECUs, but your PPP ecu is just a standard ECU that Prodrive either added another board onto, or put a locked map onto i think.

Basically, you'll still need the EcuTek license to map it. And you'll still need to get it mapped if you get a fmic.....
Old 07-02-2011, 08:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

You won't need bigger injectors until you want to go 320BHP+.
You can run upto approx 340BHP on the 440's if you also use in conjunction with a uprated fuel pressure regulator.This is also a good time to change the fuel pump to an uprated 255lph unit or similar. Easier to fit an FPR then injectors.

Your ECU is an STi item and should have a pink label rather then the usual brown, black or green label used on the regular 99/00 models.

It will not have an ECUTEK license on it, so a remap will cost you full wack i.e approx £500-£700.

Without the remap and just fitting the FMIC you may get a little more power with the FMIC fitted due to the cooler charge but you may also get more lag. The difference in power will not really be noticable, but the lag may well be.

You could fit the FMIC and Turbo and a cheap boost controller, but would advise you get it checked for detonation and fuelling before you hoon it around too much.

I have a spare standard green label ECU you could borrow in the interim. This runs less aggresive timing and a richer mixture which would be safer then using the PPP ECU with the Turbo and FMIC.

A remap is the ultimate answer but if money is hard to come by the above is an interim option.

the boost control would be under Boost Controller control rather then ECU control so the swap of ECU wouldn't effect your target boost levels.