South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 23-05-2018, 10:53 PM

Default Key fob problem

My 2005 WRX only has one key, and it's the sort with a single button to unlock the door and turn off the alarm and immobiliser. I was in the process of ordering an extra key and fob (I haven't seen a combined unit for sale), but as Sod's law dictates, the remote control part of my key stopped working yesterday.

Pressing the button does nothing. I can still unlock/lock the car with the key, but can't turn off the alarm. The other problem is I don't know the PIN code, so I can't enter it into the keypad. I've changed the battery in the key, but that makes no difference. So I'm rather stuck.

Any ideas to get out of this pickle without getting fleeced for hundreds at a dealer?
Old 24-05-2018, 08:27 AM
Gold Member

When I had the ecu changed on my old WRX I had to get a new key programmed. Went to Subaru in Robertsbridge (Culverwells?). They were excellent even though it took them ages and the cost was less than £100.
Old 25-05-2018, 10:58 AM

The remote just magically started working again yesterday! So I'm not sure why it wasn't in the first place. I've heard storied of RF interference causing problems, so not sure whether something was going on nearby to cause this.

Fingers crossed it is OK for now, and I'm aim to set myself the PIN ASAP while it's working, so I don't get stuck again.
Old 25-05-2018, 01:40 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemar View Post
The remote just magically started working again yesterday! So I'm not sure why it wasn't in the first place. I've heard storied of RF interference causing problems, so not sure whether something was going on nearby to cause this.

I've had this a couple of times, it can indeed be down to interference from nearby masts. Might also be your phone? If it happens again, pop your phone into 'flight mode' and see if it makes any difference.
Old 25-05-2018, 03:03 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemar View Post
Fingers crossed it is OK for now, and I'm aim to set myself the PIN ASAP while it's working, so I don't get stuck again.
Let us know if you have issues with this as I have a guide somewhere - get it done ASAP before the fob dies again!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 26-05-2018, 11:34 PM

I managed to enter in a new PIN using guidelines I found elsewhere. It took a few attempts, as the key presses on the keypad aren't the most reliable. So if I do have remote control problems I can at least use a PIN now.

I'll bear in mind the RF interference problem. There's far more RF crap around these days compared to when these alarms first came out.