South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 05-12-2011, 10:07 PM
Regular User

Default Cold Air Intake

I have been looking into cold air feeds. I see some people have short rams and some have the air feed coming up from the fog light. I hear alot of people complaining about heat soak though, however big power Subarus still use short rams. What are peoples recommendations on getting the most amount of cold air in and also the best cold air feed system to buy? Also which cold air feed that is fog light mounted would work well with a FMIC?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 06:42 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

A lot depnds on the power you are running, what ecu (MAF less) etc. Panel filters are good up to 350/400BHP depending on model.

I run a cone straight off my intake hose with a cold air feed up from the front fog, this is a common setup although I use a different shape filter to many as mine does not bend back under the I/C hose due to the routing of my I/C pipework.

You can get cold air intake that locate the filter in the inner HDI/APS etc. however these can cause restrictions in flow, particularly if you do not fit a large enough filter into the inner wing void.

Best Pic I have, sorry
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 06-12-2011, 11:23 AM
Regular User

Thanks for the response! I'm currently running a full Milltek 3" cat back with sports cat and Pipercross panel filter. The ECU is standard & the car is 2006 Blobeye (very last of them before the Hawk Eye and late registered car which means I qualify for the higher tax band - I see some people use the K&N Short ram with the heat shield. Does the heat shield actually work?
Old 06-12-2011, 11:31 AM
worzel

Again, I go up through the fog light, with an RCM Trumpet and flexible ducting.

Old 06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
Regular User

Corr! Thats a nice engine bay you have there! I like the mod you have done with the existing air intake. Are your fog light covers like you would buy if you had fog lights? I see you have one on the passenger side as well, do you use that as a break cooling? What Induction system do you have?

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 01:04 PM
worzel

Cheers

Being an STi originally, it only had the covers, no fog lights at all. I needed to get some WRX fog light inserts, then mount the trumpet inside. The one on the other side is for the oil cooler.

Using the old air intake just helps to direct more air where it should be. I have seen other people with this too.

The induction is an RCM product (K&N Re badged I think), front mount is an Autobahn 88.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:18 PM
Regular User

Ah wicked, I appreciate the rapid reply! I'll get me one of those from RCM then. I was looking at the Japspeed front mount as I have read there meant to be good. Whats your opinions? Also that plate you have where the standard number plate is awesome!

Thanks
Old 06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
Platinum Member

If you can make it with us to RCM on Saturday, you can get 10% off any purchases made on the day and have a good day out to boot
Old 06-12-2011, 03:13 PM
Regular User

Ah sweet I'd love to but I'm working unfortuantly
Old 06-12-2011, 06:15 PM

Good bet for a front mount would be the Hybrid (HDI) from Harvey Smith. COmes with a Cold Air Kit as well (you'll need a filter but Harvey can supply)
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 06-12-2011, 07:58 PM
Regular User

Oh really? Have you got any ideas on pricing at all?
Old 06-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Bronze Member

harveysmith1@btopenworld.com

email for pricing
Old 06-12-2011, 08:49 PM
Regular User

Thanks fella!
Old 07-12-2011, 06:02 AM

Looking at about £350 from memory, they come in bare Aluminium mine has had the pipes sprayed wrinkle black (same finish as intake manifold) and the core sprayed with satin black radiator paint for a stealthier look.

Just be aware they are a bugger to fit as large amounts of your front bumper support beam needs cutting away!