South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 20-05-2014, 10:50 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default ECULabs MY99 - MY2019 Re-Flash

Title of thread changed from MY99/00 to MY99 - MY2019 due to further ECU development.

Spoke to this guy some time ago, and just stumbled over his website via another forum.
Looks interesting for home tuners of the MY99/00 ECU and his price plan is a lot more favourable then when I last spoke with him.

http://eculabs.com/buy.html
Old 10-01-2016, 10:09 PM

I thought I would resurrect this thread as I am thinking of giving this a dabble and dusting of the mapping tools......

http://eculabs.com/index.html
Old 16-01-2016, 12:24 PM

Looks good with some nice Add ons, which are priced comparable to ecutek I suppose. Suppose the test is seeing how easy it is to use.

If I hadn't got the PowerPC recently I'd be very interested, but until proven further I think I'll stick with what I have.

So I guess you need the software and then ideally use a tactrix cable along with usual tuning equipment?

Is the software a use on one ecu or many, as it almost suggests to me that it is a one ecu when you read it with the add on prices.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 16-01-2016, 12:27 PM

Ok re read it, so you send your ecu off to be bench prepared and then you pay that all for that ecu. So to me this is starting to get expensive. I suppose if it does everything you need fair enough, but you are relying on a ageing ecu to last after investing that much money.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 16-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Platinum Member

I think it's a good alternative to the PowerFC. It has the advantage over ECUTEK in that you don't need to be an authorised distributor and you don't need to go back to them for remaps and tweeks.
Old 28-06-2017, 02:29 AM
Regular User

im running one and i love it
Old 28-06-2017, 08:15 AM

ECUTEK or the French ECULABS.
Did you map it yourself ?
Old 09-04-2020, 05:33 PM
Bronze Member

Very very interesting option, to consider for MY99 & MY00 users (I include myself). But seeing that the years pass and the possibility of modification of the Jecs Ecu is practically impossible.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:26 PM

I've been talking with Emanuel from ECUlabs this week and this option is very much alive.
I'm considering obtaining a MY99/00 ECU and setting it up with ECUlabs firmware.
Partly as a mitigation activity against my Apexi-PFC failing.

Because I have been decoding MY99/00 ECU this week it ignited a flame inside me to approach ECUlabs to ask if things had progressed since we last spoke.
I thought that if I setup ECUEdit I may be able to used the ECUlabs flash tool.

Turns out I dont need to decode into ECUedit to use ECUlabs, because ECUlabs converts the bins to a proprietary format.
I will however continue to decode just so I can see things in ECUedit for the bins I have on file.

ECUlabs also supports Subaru upto 2019, so the previous blocker on ECUedit tuning STi from 2016 onwards is removed (ECUedit only supports upto 2015/2016).

This blocker is what stopped me buying a 2016+ STi.

It's all a very interesting proposition.
Old 09-04-2020, 06:36 PM
Bronze Member

The quarantine in my country is giving me time that at another time I would not have to dedicate to all this, so today, after reading the whole topic related to Eculabs, I took the liberty of sending a query in the "INFOS & ENQUIRIES" section asking for more. information on the matter promptly in the case of seeing the possibility of sending them an original AE800 ECU to be flashed with the corresponding firmware. so I'll wait for an answer. My limitation is the distance since I am in Argentina, where there is no eculabs representative. I'll wait for an answer to see if there is any possibility.
The truth is that what they show and sell looks very good, and it works on base maps of the same ECU, I understand that this is easier for those who do not perfectly handle everything that is a programmable ecu like the Power FC or system more complex.
Old 09-04-2020, 11:34 PM
Bronze Member

Today Emanuel from ECUlabs answered the query I made.
There is a detail that I forget to consult, or I know if you Scott have spoken more or have been more informed with this, it is an internal reflash to the original ECU, which I understand frees you and supports modifications of maps and other internal parameters of the same. As it happens in the newest ECUs Bosch type of the newer subaru of the 00.?
This system is different from the "Piggy Back" and interfaces like "WRXlink"

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Link-ECU-G4...AOSwoYdar ~ 5M

This ECUlabs system I understand that not only is it better but that changes can be made by one at any time without having to send the ecu again? Is that so Scott? By doing this procedure, you are freed to get your hands on free will.
As a result, as you have previously said, you have already been in contact with this company, you are surely more up-to-date on how this system is.

As it happens to you, in these last weeks I have returned to what I had abandoned to continue investigating and playing with the car's ecu to entertain myself and continue learning about this topic that is very interesting to me. In addition, these ecu of the classic GC8 have their mystique. And it is difficult to accept a simple one you cannot, one always harbors the hope that at some point the way to break security and discover how to reach them will be discovered.

Last edited by viper1982; 09-04-2020 at 11:38 PM.
Old 10-04-2020, 10:16 AM

Hi Viper.
The ECULabs solution is an ECU conversion and is not to be confused with piggy back or adaptor solutions.
Emanuel has re-written the command/control interface that uses the OBD port. Therefore the OEM command/control protocol is not 'cracked/decoded' as with 2001 - 2016 ECU accessed with Romraider/ECUedit/ECUflash, but completely re-written to Emanuels design.
Basically the front end interface to the tuner/user is all new.
However the day to day operation of the ECU draws on and uses all the standard OEM running code and safety features. Some additional features have been added for example MAFless and on later cars with DBW can have ALS.

If it were flashed with your PPP image it would drive identical to the OEM PPP, just with the advantage of an open tuning interface and instant cell by cell re-write capability (other systems require you to stop vehicle, reset power, set into diagnostics mode, then flash entire image).

To speed up significantly this process the re-written code also uses a proprietary bin format. Therefore you will not be able to read the bin in Romraider/ECUedit. But you dont need to because ECUlabs Studio provides that feature.
I assume during the reflash the code is 'unpacked' into the original format/addressing.

It is available for 1999 - 2019 cars, so most people on here could havec a fully home tune solution for under £300
Old 10-04-2020, 10:29 AM

Title of thread updated to be include upto MY2019
Old 10-04-2020, 03:39 PM
Bronze Member

Perfect now I stay clearer how it works.
then with respect to the ecu that one sends, I particularly have in use at this time the prodrive, but my intention would be to send them the original ae800 not the prodrive. If I do this procedure using the ae800 map base or if I do it using the prodrive base, it would be exactly the same, the possibility of modification is the same or I would have some advantage if I use the prodrive map base ?
Old 17-09-2020, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

Just curious, I kept inquiring about the Russian dongle via facebook, and got very discouraging responses regarding its system, I share the conversation.

The system is called "ECU Tools".

https://ecutools.eu/chip-tuning/mmc-...DsQprTNqAgJg9k

It wasn't very encouraging. There is a 50% chance of leaving the ECU fried.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.jpg (8.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 02.jpg (9.4 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 03.jpg (10.3 KB, 8 views)