South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 04-01-2018, 04:57 PM
Regular User

Default Front suspension dropped

The front suspension on my MY02 WRX wagon, 138,000 miles, has suddenly dropped by about 75 mm both sides (evenly) and the most horrendous noises are emanating so I don't want to drive it to the garage. Any suggestions? I have had the car since new and only use it these days to run my daughter's dog about, go to the tip etc., and hence will be loath to spend much money on it.
Old 05-01-2018, 09:32 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

That sounds nasty...

Have you managed to jack the car and take a look under? Take some photos of the suspension struts, front arms and where they join the car - might help us identify the issue. Might be a recovery to garage job....i would have thought it be a pretty significant failure for the suspension to drop like that.

There is a corrosion issue on the steel front arms used on the newage wagons which can lead to failure, but normally one side will go, strange for both sides to drop evenly. Has the car ever had the arms checked by a Subaru dealer? They issued a recall a few years ago to check all steel arms - they tested them by firing a spring loaded spike into them. If it resisted the impact, they just rust-proofed the existing arms to prevent further corrosion. If they failed the test, it was a free replacement... More info here:
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...Text=Blank&tx=

https://www.scoobynet.com/scoobynet-...-imprezas.html
Old 05-01-2018, 02:29 PM

also jack car up and check for snapped springs on both sides.

also note that the front arms on the wagon are different to the saloon, should it be them and are looking for replacements.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 09-01-2018, 09:17 PM
Regular User

Default Dropped front suspension.

Thanks both for your replies. I will 'phone my local dealer tomorrow to check on the recall but as I have owned the car from new at the same address I should have received the letter from VOSA. I will also borrow a jack from my local tyre shop and see what I can see underneath. Thanks again
Old 27-01-2018, 12:04 PM
Regular User

Default Front suspension

Thanks for your advice. I duly jacked the car up and discovered two broken coil springs which have now been replaced and all is well again. Whilst in the garage I asked them to replace the failing exhaust sections which they duly did but, at a cost of £1100, I obviously didn't want the full Subaru replacement. The problem is that they could only find a sports exhaust in the aftermarket so I am now driving around with a dinner plate sized rear pipe. Now that might be fine when you are in your twenties but it doesn't look so good when you are 67! I will try to find a standard, ie quieter, version but does anyone know if they are available?
Old 27-01-2018, 12:54 PM

£1100!!!!! Wow, what is it made of? Titanium?
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 27-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Miltek are quieter and more refined... but agree with Si - £1100!!!! My entire stainless system was only £850

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 27-01-2018, 08:44 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

That's a crazy price, but main dealer parts are often a joke. Is it just the backbox you need to change? If so, look for a second hand Prodrive backbox, they're slightly louder than standard but very quiet compared to most aftermarket systems.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUBARU-WR...AAAOSw4QdabIPV

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/subaru-im...gAAOSwxxdZZAfR

Old 27-01-2018, 11:53 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by NigelGerrett View Post
Thanks for your advice. I duly jacked the car up and discovered two broken coil springs which have now been replaced and all is well again. Whilst in the garage I asked them to replace the failing exhaust sections which they duly did but, at a cost of £1100, I obviously didn't want the full Subaru replacement. The problem is that they could only find a sports exhaust in the aftermarket so I am now driving around with a dinner plate sized rear pipe. Now that might be fine when you are in your twenties but it doesn't look so good when you are 67! I will try to find a standard, ie quieter, version but does anyone know if they are available?
£1100, where did you go to pay that kind of money?

Sorry that just doesn't sound right.

I take it you did not go to Culverwells?
Old 28-01-2018, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

That sounds very expensive. I see you are in East Sussex, can highly recommend Brent, at SMD in Newhaven if you have further problems. I even bring my STi over from France for him to work on. Others on here will back me up on the quality of his work at reasonable rates.