South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 15-03-2019, 03:58 PM
Regular User

Default Polar Performance chip

Hello everyone,

My 1993 WRX has a w6 ecu with a Polar performance chip in it. I was just wondering what the mods are that are supported by the chip. I know they’re good chips and created by Scott Taylor who’s a member on here.

Cheers

Stuart
Old 15-03-2019, 04:35 PM
Authorised Trader

i'm sure @Scott.T will see this and reply........

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 18-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Hi Stuart, sorry for the late reply it's been a while since I last spoke about one of these.
I think the last one sold was getting on for 10 years ago now.

If you look at the label there should be a code on it along the lines of IMP-ECU-xxxx. From that I should be able to tell you exactly which variant it is.

The map within the chip varied slightly over the years, as thing evolved and more knowledge was gleaned. The basic boost control was modified to run 16.11psi (with corresponding ignition/fuelling changes). If boost was set to run any higher the standard 380cc injectors were running out of juice and the 2.5bar (absolute) MAP sensor was heading towards it's limit.
Tolerance variations with the MAP sensor also meant that running any higher could cause inadvertent activation of the boost/fuel cut safety feature.

People ran these in various guises from just an Exhaust BB through to Full Decat and in some cases FMIC modifications. Some even ran them successfully in national hillclimb events.

Some criticised the 'Generic 'Nature of these tunes (which is a common gripe in the Subaru community, not so much in any other marque). However, the ECU / mapping seemed to cope with all variations quite well and was found to be less fussy than the more complex later ECU (Live tuning of 2001> ECU proved this, as I don't have 2 boost control maps the same between cars I've setup).

The biggest issue for the MY1993-1996 was coil pack failure i.e when increasing the boost cars would start to miss-fire, where they hadn't previously.
The additional boost was blowing out the weak spark.
It took quite a bit of convincing to get the customer to spend £300 on coilpacks (only available through Subaru at the time) in order to run the Polar Performance (and all other variants) chip.
However, once they finally fitted new coil packs they were grinning from ear to ear.

As mentioned above if you can provide the label info I should be able to give you exact details on the tune.
Old 18-03-2019, 03:33 PM
Regular User

Hi Scott, thank you for getting back to me.

I’ve researched as much as I could but wanted to talk to the man himself as I knew I’d get the answers I was after. I’ve seen the odd gripe but generally they were regarded as the best chip on the market and value for money. Even now when I asked on Facebook people spoke highly of them. As for the hill climb car I read up on that in the type-ra forum.

The code for mine is IMP-ECU-S2-V21-284C

Again thank you for getting back to me pal.
Old 18-03-2019, 03:52 PM
Regular User

It also says z4 on the female end of the connectors on the ecu
Old 18-03-2019, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuart_duck View Post
Hi Scott, thank you for getting back to me.

I’ve researched as much as I could but wanted to talk to the man himself as I knew I’d get the answers I was after. I’ve seen the odd gripe but generally they were regarded as the best chip on the market and value for money. Even now when I asked on Facebook people spoke highly of them. As for the hill climb car I read up on that in the type-ra forum.

The code for mine is IMP-ECU-S2-V21-284C

Again thank you for getting back to me pal.
I think V21 was one of the latest versions that I used to supply to the earlier ECU variants i.e W6, 2C, U8 etc....
But I will have to check my records on the laptop later tonight
Old 18-03-2019, 07:15 PM
Regular User

Ok mate, look forward to hearing from you ����
Old 18-03-2019, 09:04 PM

V21 is the latest for the WRX/UK
The only variant I have newer than that is upto V23 which was when I was setting up the last of the MY95/96 STi V2 RA with a raised rev limit (the RA runs a higher Rev limit as standard)

V21 uses the Z4 baseline with more aggressive low throttle/rpm boost control, a 16.11psi peak/held target boost and fuel/ignition timing adjusted (a touch leaner than standard Z4).
Old 18-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Regular User

That’s mega to hear mate, it definitely feels more aggressive to a friends wrx who doesn’t have one. It is lovely drive.

What mods are supported by the chip? Is it just decat and induction? As I’ve currently got a FMIC and was wondered if that was supported by the chip. Ideally want the car to run with mods the chip is designed for so it’s running at its best.
Old 18-03-2019, 09:37 PM

Quote:
That’s mega to hear mate, it definitely feels more aggressive to a friends wrx who doesn’t have one. It is lovely drive.

What mods are supported by the chip? Is it just decat and induction? As I’ve currently got a FMIC and was wondered if that was supported by the chip. Ideally want the car to run with mods the chip is designed for so it’s running at its best.
A high % of people ran them with exhaust, decat and panel or induction filter upgrades. Although the induction filter does little but generate noise and potentially cause MAF issues at this power level. Your better off with a 'GREEN' performance filter as this has great flow and good filtration.

People also tended to mistakenly throw away the boost control pipe that returns to the induction pipe. This contains a restrictor, so it can mess up the boost control.

People did run them with FMIC without issue, although I never experienced it personally.
The more aggressive boost control probably helps with the lag that the FMIC can induce.
Old 18-03-2019, 09:40 PM

If you want the best from the 1993-1996 ECU then you should fit a ESL Live daughterboard that allows live road mapping and more refined tuning. A great bit of kit, but not sure if they are still trading in these.
Old 18-03-2019, 10:30 PM
Regular User

Touch wood I’ve had no issues and neither did the previous owner. I believe they still do the ESL boards, race dynamix being the go to people still. That’s a future prosyfor me but for now keeping her running is my aim.

I can’t thank you enough for getting back to me mate, I know it was a while ago since you made the chips and I’m glad you’ve kept your data. I’ll stick with my FMIC for now as finding a decent slanted sti top mount or even a wrx one is a rarity. I’ve got injectors and an rcm fuel pump to fit, I know the chip doesn’t allow for the injectors which are more of a future mod.

Again thanks for the reply. Really appreciate the info.

Last question from me lol, I’m terms of decat does it matter what size it is? As I’m running a 2.5in system. Would 3in see a gain or difference in performance?
Old 19-03-2019, 09:25 AM
Authorised Trader

yes ESL are still available and going strong............

we supply & fit
0191-4103770

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 19-03-2019, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Touch wood I’ve had no issues and neither did the previous owner. I believe they still do the ESL boards, race dynamix being the go to people still. That’s a future prosyfor me but for now keeping her running is my aim.

I can’t thank you enough for getting back to me mate, I know it was a while ago since you made the chips and I’m glad you’ve kept your data. I’ll stick with my FMIC for now as finding a decent slanted sti top mount or even a wrx one is a rarity. I’ve got injectors and an rcm fuel pump to fit, I know the chip doesn’t allow for the injectors which are more of a future mod.

Again thanks for the reply. Really appreciate the info.

Last question from me lol, I’m terms of decat does it matter what size it is? As I’m running a 2.5in system. Would 3in see a gain or difference in performance?
ESL can rescale for the injectors i.e change to 440's.
I did have the data to do this in the chip, but never tried it. It would be difficult to get the fuelling as I would like it with this old technology, which is very much try try try again, rather then live feedback from the ESL or Apexi PFC.

w.r.t decat I think most are 3 inch that taper down to 2.5 inch where they meet the centre section. This is fine for the 2.0 unless pushing mega power.

The 2006+ 2.5l WRX/STi benefit more from a 2.75 inch system (or more)
Old 19-03-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
yes ESL are still available and going strong............

we supply & fit
0191-4103770
That's good to hear. Andy and his bro' are good guy's.
It seems like a lifetime ago I went up to Andy's house to play with the development ESL live board.
I've still got a cable somewhere I think.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:15 PM
Regular User

Hi Scott....
I have brought a Z4 I thought was standard but had a chip in it. Unfortunately the chip has worn of the writing on it and I am not sure if its one of yours (fingers crossed) is there anyway you could ID the chip or read it?