South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 12-03-2013, 07:49 AM
Silver Member

savage! good job you all got back ok!!! they should start makin all cars awd!! they recon more is on route! should all have a day off paid!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 AM
Bronze Member

Got a day off paid !!! I love the snow
Old 12-03-2013, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

me too!! self employed also!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:20 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
There isn't any sign of snow at all here, not even any ice... It's mad to hear what some of you had to deal with yesterday
I know mate, crazy how localised it is. Just taken this pic from our front window, the snow isn't that deep in places as the strong winds have moved it in drifts, but underneath is just frozen compacted snow/ice.

Staying at home today!

Old 12-03-2013, 08:27 AM
Authorised Trader

sorry but from the TV footage i cant understand why you have had so many issues, hardly any snow at all compared to what we had earlier this year...............

think driving standards in general and people's self centredness cause most issues

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 12-03-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
sorry but from the TV footage i cant understand why you have had so many issues, hardly any snow at all compared to what we had earlier this year...............

think driving standards in general and people's self centredness cause most issues
The temperature caused the problem imo, it was -3c at rush hour last night i think, and the depth of snow wasn't the problem. As soon as one car drove over it, it compacted and froze to sheet ice.

You can crawl forward on ice if its flat, but most of Sussex's roads have hills in them. Vehicles can't get up the hill = road blocked and nobody behind can get through (gritters included).
Old 12-03-2013, 08:41 AM
Platinum Member

Think it's more a case of the gritters didn't go out in prep for it or during
Old 12-03-2013, 08:45 AM

Certainly didn't help Chris but once the roads were jammed, there's not much the gritters can easily do if they can't get through.

This made me chuckle on facebook this morning:

Old 12-03-2013, 09:32 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Sorry to hear about the alloy 'E'.
The problem with Hastings is that the whole town is a series of hills and valley's.
The main route in goes over 'The Ridge' which is about 650-700ft in places. Hence all the trucks get stuck either coming in or going out.
The normal problem is Tesco/Sainsbury/Asda trucks leaving town when their empty.

Oh! and the road links even on a sunny day are crap.....
Old 12-03-2013, 09:38 AM
Silver Member

My next door neighbour set of from Brighton at 8 last night. Still not home. BMW!
Old 12-03-2013, 09:45 AM
Gold Member

Hi Rob,glad to hear you got home ok,hope not to much damage to the car.Got a call from Lorraine to say walking home from Brighton as A259 gridlocked.Walked to bottom of the road to see if I could pick her up in the Scoobie,but no chance.Hill out of Saltdean was blocked by drivers who thought the answer to spinning wheels was to give the car more gas,all you could smell was burning rubber.Can 1" of snow really cause this much chaos?Glad to hear everyone finally got home safe.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:47 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I know mate, crazy how localised it is. Just taken this pic from our front window, the snow isn't that deep in places as the strong winds have moved it in drifts, but underneath is just frozen compacted snow/ice.

Staying at home today!

If I was the Focus driver I would have at least used the handbrake to get it parked - looks like they took it slowly!
Old 12-03-2013, 10:24 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
The temperature caused the problem imo, it was -3c at rush hour last night i think, and the depth of snow wasn't the problem. As soon as one car drove over it, it compacted and froze to sheet ice.

You can crawl forward on ice if its flat, but most of Sussex's roads have hills in them. Vehicles can't get up the hill = road blocked and nobody behind can get through (gritters included).

And there lies the problem, ice. My road was wet at 3.00, iced up nicely by 5.00 and then snowed on which compacted. It was like an ice rink.
Old 12-03-2013, 10:26 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Well we have just got in after my mercy mission in the 1.

6.5 hours for the Mrs to get home, and a trip to Lepsons required..

Ended up having to go up a hill crab fashion not happy, the back end just slid down the camber of the road..
Feel for you ian. It happened to me in the scoob in the snow. Naff all you can do about it when the camber of the road takes you. Mind you, with the size of the tyre walls of the golf it just bounces off!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Greg View Post
If I was the Focus driver I would have at least used the handbrake to get it parked - looks like they took it slowly!
+1 for the hand brake, i couldnt resist a little bit of fun.

Suns out here in gravesend now and its melting thank fook, need to get the scoob out, get it warmed up and do an oil change at some point.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Got a day off paid !!! I love the snow
Me toooo....

And a cursory glass lets me know I got away with the front end into a wall situation///
Old 12-03-2013, 07:52 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Staying at home today!

You live in a nice area, posh spice...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Hi Rob,glad to hear you got home ok,hope not to much damage to the car.Got a call from Lorraine to say walking home from Brighton as A259 gridlocked.Walked to bottom of the road to see if I could pick her up in the Scoobie,but no chance.Hill out of Saltdean was blocked by drivers who thought the answer to spinning wheels was to give the car more gas,all you could smell was burning rubber.Can 1" of snow really cause this much chaos?Glad to hear everyone finally got home safe.
Jesus, mate. Lorraine ok??? I got away with the crash ok thanks. Fog inserts took a hit but..
Lorraine was in as much danger as the muppets on the road, mate. Pavements were treacherous!!!!!
I think a lot of people have had a very traumatic few days...
i know I used over half a tank on tick over and round the houses journeys and the tension of watching out for an impending knobhead has made me knackered....
Hope you guys - and all members of the site - are ok and suffered no injuries...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:06 PM
Silver Member

A friend of Emma's sister took 16 hours getting home....
Old 12-03-2013, 08:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by majorscooby View Post
+1 for the hand brake, i couldnt resist a little bit of fun.

Suns out here in gravesend now and its melting thank fook, need to get the scoob out, get it warmed up and do an oil change at some point.
P'haaa! i agree... might have got a 720 out of it...
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Took a guy from work 6 hours to get from Hastings to Eastbourne last night...SHOCKING.....
Old 12-03-2013, 10:09 PM

One of the guys i work with left Crawley at 5pm, to travel home to Worthing via the A23/A27. He got home at 5:30... AM. (Thats after it took him nearly 3 hrs to get to work in the morning!).

Have to also say thanks to Gary and the claims people at Keith Michaels too - quick and efficient service. Didn't mention it last night (was waiting to see whether 3rd party would fully admit liability, which they have) but i had to go out in the scoob to help Claire last night after someone ran into the back of her new Pug 308 on the ice. The kid (he was 17 driving on his mum's policy....) easily wrote his old shed off, but the Pug stood up well all things considering and Claire is fine, which is the most important thing

Less than 24 hrs later and we've got a brand new diesel Astra from Enterprise sitting outside as a courtesy car and Claire's car is already at the repairer's garage round the corner. Surprisingly hassle free so far!
Old 12-03-2013, 11:03 PM

Quote:
One of the guys i work with left Crawley at 5pm, to travel home to Worthing via the A23/A27. He got home at 5:30... AM. (Thats after it took him nearly 3 hrs to get to work in the morning!).

Have to also say thanks to Gary and the claims people at Keith Michaels too - quick and efficient service. Didn't mention it last night (was waiting to see whether 3rd party would fully admit liability, which they have) but i had to go out in the scoob to help Claire last night after someone ran into the back of her new Pug 308 on the ice. The kid (he was 17 driving on his mum's policy....) easily wrote his old shed off, but the Pug stood up well all things considering and Claire is fine, which is the most important thing

Less than 24 hrs later and we've got a brand new diesel Astra from Enterprise sitting outside as a courtesy car and Claire's car is already at the repairer's garage round the corner. Surprisingly hassle free so far!
Glad Claire is ok,

That's efficient service too!, took me just over 4 hours to get home last night :S totally shocking to be honest, and saw many people that had simply no idea at all how to drive on ice..

hopefully it will be all fixed and right as rain before you know it.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 13-03-2013, 08:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
I've gota mate stuck in traffic turners hill, only done 150 yards in an hour!

Nightmare
Just come through there, huge snow drifts and this morning there was a van had carried straight on and into a tree, looked nasty.

Can't believe the difference between Crawley and Hastings, hardly anything here.
Old 15-03-2013, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

went out from eastbourne to seaford today and the beachy head road is still closed! There were some mighty drifts still either side of road in the area where only one car can get through at a time. The jevington road is a nightmare and frustratingly i couldnt take at my normal warp speed