South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 13-03-2011, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chunk View Post
Im waiting for the 22nd so i can give everyone who keeps on about this the big
lol
Old 13-03-2011, 03:33 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRX View Post
lol
World was also set to end at the start of the Millenium. Oh well.

Just read that a metdown is now more than likely at the power station
Old 13-03-2011, 03:45 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
World was also set to end at the start of the Millenium. Oh well.
Yeah all the y2k crap, apocalypse this apocalypse that, omg its the end of the world! if its gonna happen its gonna happen.

Quote:
Just read that a metdown is now more than likely at the power station
Apparaently theve moved 120,000 people out of the area because the reactor could go critical, there pumping seawater into it to try and stop it but the news said its "more than likely going to only slow it down" Hope they get it under controll otherwise it could mean even more 0000's dead.
Old 13-03-2011, 04:35 PM
Silver Member

10,000 people dead is in just one town, over half the population of that particular town. cant remember what the town is caled but i saw it mentioned yesterday.
Old 13-03-2011, 09:38 PM
Regular User

My wife has told me that she will be without electricity for several hours every day until at least the end of April as a result of the problems with the nuclear power stations. She's in South Western Tokyo, but this applies to virtually the whole Kanto region I believe; that's tens of millions of people. It is going to be a long and very hard recovery process for the Japanese, especially those in the North East who have lost so much.
Old 13-03-2011, 10:13 PM
Silver Member

yes, they will recover. if you can say one thing about the japanese, they are clever people. ive no doubt they will recover quicker than any other nation in the same situation.
Old 14-03-2011, 08:19 AM
SES Mercedes Division

Found out last night that a friend of a friend in North Japan is missing. Thought are with the family
Old 14-03-2011, 08:29 AM
SES Mercedes Division

More updates..

Two thousand bodies have been found on the shores of Miyagi prefecture, Japanese media are reporting

The government announced it was pumping 15 trillion yen ($182bn; £113bn) into the economy to prop up the markets - which slumped on opening
Old 14-03-2011, 01:26 PM
Authorised Trader

My fiancee works for a Japanese company and they had an e-mail today saying several staff are missing and that others have lost their familes and houses

However, they state that there is zero looting, no stealing, no fighting or quarrelling for emergency supplies even in where is desperately short in supplies. No one is overcharging or ripping off anyone.

Highly unlikely that'd happen over here if we had a disaster on that scale.
Old 14-03-2011, 02:35 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
The idea of a disaster like that happening over here horrifies me. I can just imagine about 75% of the population staying indoors, watching Jeremy Kyle and whining that the council haven't come and rescued them and wiped their arses for them yet.

I'm certain the Japanese will have the mess cleaned up and normaility restored within a few years. It would take us about 50 years to achieve the same thing in the UK at the moment!
Old 14-03-2011, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

I think if anyone can get back on their feet its the japanese, just goes to show the difference in countries where they pull together and other countries go down the looting and rioting route. It was nice to see alot of firefighter and rescue teams flying off to help.

The news have just been saying a second reactor has been damaged and could go into meltdown.
Old 14-03-2011, 05:02 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
My fiancee works for a Japanese company and they had an e-mail today saying several staff are missing and that others have lost their familes and houses

However, they state that there is zero looting, no stealing, no fighting or quarrelling for emergency supplies even in where is desperately short in supplies. No one is overcharging or ripping off anyone.

The looters would be getting ready as soon the the ground starts shaking & the panic buyers would be straight to the shops
Old 14-03-2011, 05:09 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
The idea of a disaster like that happening over here horrifies me. I can just imagine about 75% of the population staying indoors, watching Jeremy Kyle and whining that the council haven't come and rescued them and wiped their arses for them yet.

I'm certain the Japanese will have the mess cleaned up and normaility restored within a few years. It would take us about 50 years to achieve the same thing in the UK at the moment!
Agreed - however i find it best be prepared.
Old 14-03-2011, 06:57 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Some satellite photos here - use the slider bar in the middle to show before/after

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...r-tsunami.html

Old 15-03-2011, 10:27 AM
Gold Member

Just been sent this link, I think its well worth a read as its the first article I've read with regards to the Japanese nuclear situation that isn't full of OTT theatrics:

http://www.businessinsider.com/japan...e2aec9301f0000
Old 15-03-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

I do think the media should have some restrictions on what they can and cant say, was watching the news earlier and they were giving long winded panic ridden report of what "could happen" reguarding the reactors, instead of actually reporting on what has happend and the fact its under controll now it seemed like they were intent of dramatising the "what ifs".

Havent the people in japan suffered enough without the media intentionally adding or trying to add panic to the situation just for the news?
Old 15-03-2011, 08:13 PM
Gold Member

thats the media for you,they dont give a toss about the dead.they are only intrested in milking the story and spreading fear
Old 17-03-2011, 03:35 PM
Gold Member

Far from the most serious (or important) thing to suffer in Japan, but sad to see that even motorsport venues have been hit.

Pictures from Ebisu circuit:

Old 17-03-2011, 03:57 PM
worzel

Like you say, maybe not the most important loss.

But when things start to get back to somewhere near normality, they will want something to cheer themselves up a bit. Motorsport is important to the Japanese, so mid term, not so good for them
Old 17-03-2011, 05:49 PM
admin

Whats going to be surprising is how fast they get back to normal nothing seems to get them down.....
Old 17-03-2011, 07:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Whats going to be surprising is how fast they get back to normal nothing seems to get them down.....
onwards and upwards i guess, there certinally one of the best countries to get up and going again, be totally different story if it was over here
Old 18-03-2011, 08:37 AM
SES Mercedes Division

The japs are like little troopers.Can not fault them or get them down
Old 21-03-2011, 04:49 PM
Gold Member

Just been sent this video and I thought it worth a watch. A Japanese Coast Guard ship crests the Tsunami out at sea:

To have a wave that noticeable in deep water gives some idea as to the severity of what was to follow.
Old 21-03-2011, 04:54 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Bloody hell. Looked bad enough all that way out
Old 21-03-2011, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Blimey thats big