South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Member

Default Pending hose ban!

There might be a bucket shortage very soon due to the pending hose ban ?

Will you have to muti-bucket at True Colours?
Old 12-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Kicks in from April 5th apparently
Old 13-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Regular User

In two weeks I move house, my wife got me a snow foam lance as a little moving present..........I'm not amused.......
Old 13-03-2012, 08:49 PM
Platinum Member

How to use a hose pipe to clean your car whilst there is a hose pipe ban.

1. Park car as near to tap / hose reel as possible.

2. Stand beside hose.

3. Undo trouser button and flies and drop trousers to ankles.

4. Bend down whilst slowly looking around,grab hose and tuck inside trouser leg.

5. Pull hose up to mouth and grab with teeth.

6. Pull your trousers up.

7. Take off sweatshirt or sleeved top.

8. Whilst gripping hose put top back on.

9. Pull 20cm's of hose out of sleeve.

10. Grab sponge and hose together and turn on tap

Old 13-03-2012, 10:26 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
How to use a hose pipe to clean your car whilst there is a hose pipe ban.

1. Park car as near to tap / hose reel as possible.

2. Stand beside hose.

3. Undo trouser button and flies and drop trousers to ankles.

4. Bend down whilst slowly looking around,grab hose and tuck inside trouser leg.

5. Pull hose up to mouth and grab with teeth.

6. Pull your trousers up.

7. Take off sweatshirt or sleeved top.

8. Whilst gripping hose put top back on.

9. Pull 20cm's of hose out of sleeve.

10. Grab sponge and hose together and turn on tap

PMSL!

As far as I'm aware, hose pipe ban is on homes initially. We use a business premises. In fairness we don't use that much water, not in comparison to watering gardens etc!
Old 14-03-2012, 07:55 AM
Silver Member

I use a bucket for the car anyways. its gonna be watering the garden that does me in. I can still use a watering can, but its gonna take probably 20 cans each time n I usualy water my garden every 2-3 days in the summer !
Old 14-03-2012, 08:50 AM
Platinum Member

Buy a large spray bottle
Old 14-03-2012, 09:13 AM
Bronze Member

..or a Hozelock portable car wash, I have one and they are not bad....
Shame my other half bought me a jet wash and snow foam lance for Christmas though
Old 14-03-2012, 04:00 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lupuss View Post
..or a Hozelock portable car wash, I have one and they are not bad...
i got one of them and thought it was **** lol it dosent hold enough water to rinse the car and the nozzle bit is too small lol
Old 14-03-2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Well i doubt any one will be interested and its kinda a boaring subject really, but some of you who know me know i work for sutton and east surrey water. just thought id give you all some info on the hose pipe ban.

Basically a non comericial hose pipe ban comes into effect from april the 5th for an indefinate period of time. At the moment it only affects residential hosepipes but if for what ever reason we dont get enough rainfall over the next few months then it has the potential to become more serious and expand the restrictions. Things like washing the car, watering the flowers etc come under the ban and would result in a fine or more depending on what, how many times and the duration the hosepipe was used for.

Anything commericial is excempt at the moment from the ban ie window cleaners, automotive cleaners and builders etc. These have to be registered proper buisnesses.

Swimming pools are allowed to be refilled after anywork done.

Lawns that have been returfed are allowed to use hose pipes for one month after laying.

Thats the general rules really, if you guys are still awake i hope you find it helpfull and if youve got any questions feel free to ask

cheers Andy
Old 14-03-2012, 04:55 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRX View Post
.....Things like washing the car, watering the flowers etc come under the ban and would result in a fine or more depending on what, how many times and the duration the hosepipe was used for.

but thats only if things get more serious right ? we're ok doin that with bucket & watering cans after the 5th as things stand at the moment ??
Old 14-03-2012, 05:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
but thats only if things get more serious right ? we're ok doin that with bucket & watering cans after the 5th as things stand at the moment ??
As they stand at the moment thats perfectly fine, feel free to wash and water away with a bucket and watering can, as long as a hose pipe isnt used its fine
Old 14-03-2012, 05:19 PM
Platinum Member

Andy, daft question I know but can you use a hose to fill the bucket?
Old 14-03-2012, 05:24 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
Andy, daft question I know but can you use a hose to fill the bucket?
lol I know its gonna sound silly but no you cant
Old 04-04-2012, 10:43 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Went for a long afternoon walk through Mountfield Woods over to Darwell Resovoir (North of Battle) at the weekend.
The water level at Darwell was quite shocking

Old 04-04-2012, 10:57 PM
Rest in peace Jodie.

Quote:
I use a bucket for the car anyways. its gonna be watering the garden that does me in. I can still use a watering can, but its gonna take probably 20 cans each time n I usualy water my garden every 2-3 days in the summer !
My mate msn'd me some blurb he had read:

Quote:
people with severe mobility problems who hold a current Blue Badge as issued by their local authority will not be prohibited from using a hosepipe to water a garden attached to a domestic dwelling, plants on domestic premises, or allotments where the Blue Badge holder is the tenant.
That's gardens, not cars
Old 04-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

The answer to a question on Southern Waters website made me laugth.....

Can I wash the following using a hosepipe: Car, motorbike, taxi, company car, caravan, trailer?
  • As a result of the restrictions, you are not permitted to wash any of the above with a hosepipe or similar apparatus. You can however use a bucket, as long as you do not fill it with a hosepipe.
  • If your vehicle or its trailer is a” goods vehicle” (i.e. constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of goods) then it is not affected by the ban, but we ask that all our customers use water sparingly.
So you can use a bucket, but you can't fill the bucket with a hosepipe.
OK then I'll disconnect the hosepipe from the tape and hold the bucket under the tap...how the hell does that make the difference between breaking the law and not.

What I want to know is can I fill the bucket from the tap then use a small length of hose in the bucket attached to my pressure washer/snow foam lance, drawing the water out of the bucket..
I am pretty sure the snow foam method uses less water then even a bucket & sponge.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:53 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
The answer to a question on Southern Waters website made me laugth.....

Can I wash the following using a hosepipe: Car, motorbike, taxi, company car, caravan, trailer?
  • As a result of the restrictions, you are not permitted to wash any of the above with a hosepipe or similar apparatus. You can however use a bucket, as long as you do not fill it with a hosepipe.
  • If your vehicle or its trailer is a” goods vehicle” (i.e. constructed or adapted for use for the carriage of goods) then it is not affected by the ban, but we ask that all our customers use water sparingly.
So you can use a bucket, but you can't fill the bucket with a hosepipe.
OK then I'll disconnect the hosepipe from the tape and hold the bucket under the tap...how the hell does that make the difference between breaking the law and not.

What I want to know is can I fill the bucket from the tap then use a small length of hose in the bucket attached to my pressure washer/snow foam lance, drawing the water out of the bucket..
I am pretty sure the snow foam method uses less water then even a bucket & sponge.
In theory Scott, using a foam lance or a pressure washer uses a little less water. Good point about filling a bucket and using a pipe to your washer from there though.

I'm sure I'm correct in saying (please correct me Andy if I'm wrong) that the ban is for hose pipe to mains water supply. Hose to any other supply should be allowed. Daft but true.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

My pressure washer can self draw water. From a tank, therefore I'll be filling the bath with hot water (advantage of a downstairs bathroom) and feeding the jet was h from that!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 05-04-2012, 08:48 AM
Platinum Member

Fukc the ban.

I do my bit paying stupid tax every year and WILL clean my car like I always do........... with a hose !.

I'll just get one of my water pumps and put it in a big bucket
Old 05-04-2012, 10:27 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
Fukc the ban.

I do my bit paying stupid tax every year and WILL clean my car like I always do........... with a hose !.

I'll just get one of my water pumps and put it in a big bucket

I agree!!!

why is it we can get gas from the north sea and we cant pump some water from up north.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 AM
worzel

The fact is we live on an island, surrounded by the fookin stuff! The furthest point from the sea in this country is 72 miles!!!

Also the fact that it has rained in this country for years and years, with floods every year and the water has just drained away, due to poor water management by the water companies.

The fact that we can't even pipe the water down from places that have plenty but we can afford to fight "oil wars" all over the world.

This country really grips my **** sometimes

You know what, **** it, I'm packing up and going to live in Germany!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM
Crowman

No problems with a watering can.
A pain yes, but at least i can wash the bloody cars
Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Gold Member

Look at all you lazy hose users, I have to use multiple buckets when cleaning the car at home anyway, so business as usual for me.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
The fact is we live on an island, surrounded by the fookin stuff! The furthest point from the sea in this country is 72 miles!!!

Also the fact that it has rained in this country for years and years, with floods every year and the water has just drained away, due to poor water management by the water companies.

The fact that we can't even pipe the water down from places that have plenty but we can afford to fight "oil wars" all over the world.

This country really grips my **** sometimes

You know what, **** it, I'm packing up and going to live in Germany!!!!!!!!!!
It all comes down to money at the end of the day mate.

The water companies can easilly pump water to each other even from all the way up in scottland if they wanted to its just not cost effective at all.

As for sea water, again its easilly possible and the equipment is all ready there, its just hugily expensive so the companies dont do it. Even if they were to build more de salentisation plants i doubt people would want them on their doorstep plus the huge increase on water bills.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

The water companies can easilly pump water to each other even from all the way up in scottland if they wanted to its just not cost effective at all.

As for sea water, again its easilly possible and the equipment is all ready there, its just hugily expensive so the companies dont do it. Even if they were to build more de salentisation plants i doubt people would want them on their doorstep plus the huge increase on water bills.
there is already one de-salination plant in the country, I remember reading it somewhere but ca't remember where
Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Silver Member

and here we go :-
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/6904722.stm
Old 06-04-2012, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
there is already one de-salination plant in the country, I remember reading it somewhere but ca't remember where
There are smaller ones dotted around too but dont cover alot of areas, thing is people want more and constantly complain about water prices and the drought etc but take it all for granted it gets piped to their door step, treated so its safe to drink and their piss and **** gets taken away for them, if people didnt pay for it then theyed have to go down to the river and collect it them selves, also get rid of all the piss and **** them selves too lol
Old 06-04-2012, 11:32 PM
Gold Member

dont if its true,but was told 2day blue badge holders can still use hose pipes. so get your granny 2 wash your car
Old 07-04-2012, 08:07 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
There are smaller ones dotted around too but dont cover alot of areas, thing is people want more and constantly complain about water prices and the drought etc but take it all for granted it gets piped to their door step, treated so its safe to drink and their piss and **** gets taken away for them, if people didnt pay for it then theyed have to go down to the river and collect it them selves, also get rid of all the piss and **** them selves too lol
Perhaps this would do some people good mate see how other countries live that would be strange standing with a bucket full of growler whilst talking to the neighbours... " just off to dump me load in the local pond" poor ducks
Old 07-04-2012, 08:10 AM
Gold Member

Mind you

I pitty anyone who has to come face to face with one of my turds

Especially after a larger sesh!!!

In my eyes they don't do a bad job
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 AM
Platinum Member

We are not the only country that has hose bans.... Stop your moaning, man up and use a bucket
Old 07-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by didznotturbo View Post
dont if its true,but was told 2day blue badge holders can still use hose pipes. so get your granny 2 wash your car
as far as i know for Theams water if your a blue badge holder you can still use a hose pipe for the time being, but for sutton and east surrey water you cant blue badge or not.
Old 07-04-2012, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
We are not the only country that has hose bans.... Stop your moaning, man up and use a bucket
lol totally agree dude
Old 07-04-2012, 08:54 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:

It sure does and the greedy bloody companies make millions every year for the poor share holders.

Instead of investing in stopping leaks and building new reservoirs, I heard it said that more water is wasted through leaks than is consumed by house holders.

In the canaries the water rates are a fraction of what we have to pay and they even water the golf courses twice a day.

This country is so fooking backwards, what happens when it does rain here, most of the water goes straight out to sea.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Instead of investing in stopping leaks and building new reservoirs, I heard it said that more water is wasted through leaks than is consumed by house holders........
and, we pay them to take our p1ss away, which goes in to the water table eventualy, then they treat it and sell it back to us as drinking water
Old 07-04-2012, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
We are not the only country that has hose bans.
What other European countries have a ban out of interest.

I expect Ethiopia and the Sahara may have bans?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:16 PM
Silver Member

Egypt?
Old 07-04-2012, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Egypt?
Nope.

The Aswan Dam and Lake Nasser takes care of that.

It also provides the electricity for most of the country.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:56 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
What other European countries have a ban out of interest.

I expect Ethiopia and the Sahara may have bans?
We're the only European country. My continental colleagues find it very amusing. They all have robust systems where the water distribution is able to be pumped around the county or supplemented from other sources. Unfortunately the UK has not kept up with demand in the south east and has been made worse by the last 2 dry years. It's only going to get worse unless there is some serious investment.

Still, the forecast is for lots of rain over the next the few days - if it keeps it up for several weeks hopefully the local reservoirs and aquifers will top up!
Old 08-04-2012, 09:36 AM
Platinum Member

Where did I put European.... Who cares about the hose ban, I just can't see why you all moan and get so worked up about it hahahaha

You seam to forget we are an Island, other European rivers make the thames look like a stream and the last time we had water levels this low were in 1976
Old 08-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

Its going to be OK guys. They don't bite:

Old 08-04-2012, 09:42 AM
Platinum Member

Don't do it Steve..... Your Scoob will never be the same
Old 08-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Its going to be OK guys. They don't bite:

That wash mitt looks abit dirty
Old 09-04-2012, 08:40 AM
Platinum Member

The water level is pretty low in the left bucket. Make sure you only draw water from the right hand one!!

:SUBARMAN:
Old 09-04-2012, 06:42 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
The water level is pretty low in the left bucket. Make sure you only draw water from the right hand one!!

:SUBARMAN:
Old 09-04-2012, 07:35 PM
worzel

I have no problem using buckets of water and use two for the wash, but rinsing with a power hose would use significantly less water than throwing bucket after bucket over the car!

We all know why it's being done but some things make very little sense! Like all of utilities companies, our rail infrastructure and the roads, we sadly lack behind the rest of Europe, we are a joke, we expect Victorian infrastructure to power and cater for a 21st century society! If we had invested the money spent on the Olympics on getting this shed of a country sorted out, we might just about live a better quality of life!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
i have no problem using buckets of water and use two for the wash, but rinsing with a power hose would use significantly less water than throwing bucket after bucket over the car!

We all know why it's being done but some things make very little sense! Like all of utilities companies, our rail infrastructure and the roads, we sadly lack behind the rest of europe, we are a joke, we expect victorian infrastructure to power and cater for a 21st century society! If we had invested the money spent on the olympics on getting this shed of a country sorted out, we might just about live a better quality of life!
Old 09-04-2012, 09:10 PM

Quote:
I have no problem using buckets of water and use two for the wash, but rinsing with a power hose would use significantly less water than throwing bucket after bucket over the car!

We all know why it's being done but some things make very little sense! Like all of utilities companies, our rail infrastructure and the roads, we sadly lack behind the rest of Europe, we are a joke, we expect Victorian infrastructure to power and cater for a 21st century society! If we had invested the money spent on the Olympics on getting this shed of a country sorted out, we might just about live a better quality of life!
100%

The water companies make millions every year and just don't reinvest

This country is so fooking archaic.
Old 09-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Gold Member

agree with you worzel+bigE,but its not just this country thats a joke.its the whole planet. its the big robbing corporations which are owned buy a few greedy arse raping familys on this planet which have caused all this ****. the whole system is a joke. so bend over and keep smiling.