South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Gold Member

Default Brakes, the million dollar question...

Noticed the other day that my front discs have some scoring, which I guess is time for a change. Now..do I get Black Diamond discs to go with the OE 4 pots with some decent pads, or do I take the opertunity to upgrade to either Bembos or some AP's? And do I go for new ones, or risk second hand?

Im planing on some subtle engine mods, but not going to mad at this stage, some Im wondering if it will be more cost effective to change them now, rather than later.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Brakes, the million dollar question...

All i would say is you get what you pay for!!!!! so if you can stretch to it go for the brembo option or ap's. stay away from black diamond bad experience for me!!! ferrodo ds2500 are good pads though
Old 03-08-2009, 08:41 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

i had this dilemma recently but couldn't afford to go with a new front brake kit (was considering the K-Sport kit).

Went with grooved front discs from Alyn at AS Performance with mintex pads (really impressed with his service, had plenty of time to chat about what i was after and what would suit the car best etc). Really pleased with them - way better than the OE discs/pads. Had the choice of DS2500 pads but Alyn said there was hardly any noticeable difference between those and the Mintex pads i went with, except the DS2500s were £50 more!

I know any 4pot setup will never be as good as an AP/K-Sport/Brembo setup, but its a fairly good middle ground in my opinion. Also heard a lot of bad things about Black Diamond - especially with drilled discs cracking. I'd personally avoid drilled discs completely.
Old 03-08-2009, 07:50 PM
Gold Member

At the moment I've a unknow make, they look like tarox on the front, grooved with OE pads. Had them done at a dealer when I was up in Scotland, so less than 6 months ago, allready worn down. Im thinking the OE pads shouldnt have been matched up with those discs.

Im a stickler for detail, so was looking for Black, or dark discs, Ive read a few good write ups on them, but Im hearing otherwise now.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Bronze Member

my black diamonds (drilled/vented) have cracked and warped would never get them again
Old 05-08-2009, 05:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortster
At the moment I've a unknow make, they look like tarox on the front, grooved with OE pads. Had them done at a dealer when I was up in Scotland, so less than 6 months ago, allready worn down. Im thinking the OE pads shouldnt have been matched up with those discs.

Im a stickler for detail, so was looking for Black, or dark discs, Ive read a few good write ups on them, but Im hearing otherwise now.
Ill say now black diamond discs AINT black after a few hundred miles!!!!!!!!! they just go like all the rest, i had a set warpped them and lobbed em. wouldnt bother again!
Old 05-08-2009, 07:24 PM
Silver Member

ive got ebc vented(not drilled)and mintex pads,braided hoses and the ap racing fluid,when tone mot,d the car he was impressed at the brakes and surprised at their quality
but my mintex do squeel in reverse braking!
Old 05-08-2009, 09:11 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonairheadz
but my mintex do squeel in reverse braking!
mine too
Old 08-08-2009, 07:07 PM
Gold Member

Issue resolved...lots of cash later, Front Brembos and grooved discs