South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 26-11-2020, 08:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Ceramic coating.

So has anyone had ceramic coating on their car,did you do it yourself or by a company?,what did it cost and was it worth it? Hoping you get to see this Ryan as trust your opinion.
Old 26-11-2020, 10:32 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Hi Terry,

I’ll let you know how I get on as I have just bought some Carpro quartz 3.0. After alot of research it was between this and GTechnic but they had a deal on this so I went for it. I think it was about £40 for a 30ml bottle and all the application bits.

So far I have resisted ceramic coats as I have so many different waxes and sealants in my garage that I enjoy using, I never felt the need for ceramic. But, the Porsche paint is soft, and marks really easily, even with all the care in the world whilst washing with prewashes, 2 buckets etc, it still marks. I am hoping a good ceramic will help it and make it easier to wash.

I’ve decided to put it on Sarah’s car first!. I want to see how it is to apply and how it behaves and what real world protection it gives compared to my regular sealants. If I like it, then I’ll do mine in the spring.

The key to it though is the preparation before its applied. It’s imperative that the car is fully decontaminated, Clayed and then polished to get the paint as good as possible before sealing it in. My Porsche had been ceramic coated using Williams paint protection by the dealer when I got it but it had some swirls sealed in, which bugged me so I machine compounded the coating off shortly after getting it.

Hope all is good with you both.

Steve

Last edited by Lucky; 26-11-2020 at 10:35 PM.
Old 27-11-2020, 08:03 AM
Gold Member

Hi Steve,we are good and hope you are to. Will be interesred to hear how the ceramic coating goes, nice touch to try it on your Wife's car first. I had it in my mind that the cost of materials would be quite expensive, so £40 sounds cheap.
Old 27-11-2020, 09:45 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Hi mate.

It’s on offer on Slims detailing. The kit seems highly recommended.

The kits itself as you say isn’t expensive all things considered, but when you take into account the prep and materials, it mounts up unless you already have everything.

Iron x
Tar x
Da/rotary polisher
Da pads (harder compound and softer polish)
Compound
Polish
Eraser/alcohol spray to clean don paint before final coating.

Obviously the da/rotary is optional as you can do it by hand, it just takes longer and you won’t see the same results.

Once you have it all, it’s great, but the initial layout is obviously expensive and really those steps are important to get the best from it.

Last edited by Lucky; 27-11-2020 at 09:47 AM.
Old 24-12-2020, 09:50 PM
Regular User

Happy to help if anyone gets stuck with anything, had my business 17 years and I’m accredited by 2 ceramic brands
Old 27-12-2020, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
So has anyone had ceramic coating on their car,did you do it yourself or by a company?,what did it cost and was it worth it? Hoping you get to see this Ryan as trust your opinion.

Hi Terry,

As most have said preparation is key... ensuring the surface is scratch and swirl free, clayed so contaminate free.

I had kamikaze ceramic coatings (miyabi then zipang) on my A6, and Titan coatings on the Scoob.

Q5 has had gtechniq ceramic and works fine as well as auto finesse range on the glass.

It’s like wax, prepare the same, but application is best followed from the instructions.

Have some good quality microfibre ready for removal of excess.

Ryan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 27-12-2020, 01:45 PM
Gold Member

Hi Mate,Merry Christmas. So would you recommend ceramic coating and once applied do you need no/less polishing. Also will it prevent polishing swirl marks. Finally did you apply it yourself or have it done by a company. Cheers.
Old 27-12-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Hi Mate,Merry Christmas. So would you recommend ceramic coating and once applied do you need no/less polishing. Also will it prevent polishing swirl marks. Finally did you apply it yourself or have it done by a company. Cheers.

Merry Christmas mate,

Yes a ceramic coating will require less polishing as it should be more resilient to swirls and scratching from washing as the costing is harder.

The kamikaze I had applied by a professional, the auto finesse I did myself.

If your planning on doing it once, get a good professional to do it along with machine polishing and it should last 2-3yrs..

My A6 had a two stage machine polish then the ceramic coating applied and 2yrs later it was still protected.. and u can apply wax over ceramic if required and use things like gyeon wet coat to help keep it clean etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 28-12-2020, 10:00 PM

Terry. Have a look at YouTube. Pantheorganiser, dmitrys garage, forensic detailing and detailing world all have really useful ‘how to’ guides.