South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 10-02-2010, 07:02 PM
Silver Member

Default Headers Wrapped or not?

I have heard from various people saying that wrapped headers is a bad thing as it traps heat and can cause det?
Also that if you wrap the stainless steel ones the can crack and split?
But if this is true why do the likes of Roger Clarke use ceramic coated headers?
Anyone any ideas?
Old 10-02-2010, 08:23 PM
Nige

Can cause a fire is a good reason not to Greig. Remember the green one at the ring? His caught fire due to some leak on to the wraped headers.
Old 10-02-2010, 08:28 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

for standard ported try and get the old heatshileds back on, although I havn't.
for tubular get them ceramic coated

But TBH you are really chasing every last BHP when you do this.

The theory is hot gases flow out quicker, but as you say there is the arguement that hot gases can cause det, but IMHO only really if there is a restriction in the exhaust i.e a Cat or too smaller bore pipe.
Old 10-02-2010, 11:08 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

seems to be some misunderstandings here..

not only do you increase the gas speed the main gain is in keeping heat out of the engine bay it has nothing to do with getting every last bhp.. with regards to fire and issues I have seen more melted looms and engine fires with unwrapped headers than wrapped.. oil leaks are simple to check for and unless the leak is an instant failure in which case unwrapped or wrapped you are likely to have an issue you shouldn't be on track with an oil leak anyway.

Ceramic headers work well but the ceramic doesn't last forever and peels off over time, although wrap depending on make doesn't last forever either, but is easy to repair in situe and can be used on old headers where as ceramic needs spotlessly clean headers.

I have ceramic coated on one of my cars and wrapped on the other.. the wrapped headers keep the noise in much better, the ceramic sound like there is leak.. but the ceramic coating (in white) would show any leak..

Given the choice I would wrap them with decent quality wrap, there is no option of leaving tubular headers bear imho.. too much risk of melting something or fire if a sudden leak.

As to Det it actually reduces it.. the gas flow is increased therefore on the exhaust stroke the cylinder is cleared of the exhaust gas better, leaving the cylinder emptier of left over combustion gas for the next cycle.. so you gain power, torque and less chance of det as the charge is much cleaner/ fresher in the cylinder.. also intake temps are reduced as well as engine temp in general as the engine bay temperature is lower, back pressure is reduced.

Simon

Last edited by Jolly Green Monster; 10-02-2010 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-02-2010, 06:44 PM
Silver Member

Thanks for the advice, fingers,toes and everything else crossed i should be finally getting by engine back either the back end of next week or the following week.
So as the engine will be out looks like i will be wrapping them after all, as it is a fresh engine hopefully there won't be any leaks!! but i will keep a close eye on things.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:30 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

If it helps my Harvey Smith ported Headers are wrapped and will be going on on Monday so I'll let you know how that goes. Simon (JGM) will be weaving his magic on Friday to try a wring a bit more out of the turbo along with the fixed fuel leak, tumbler deletes and manifold phenolic spacers.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 PM
Gold Member

Why did you get a show jumper to port your headers?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:03 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
Why did you get a show jumper to port your headers?
You soo funny!
Old 12-02-2010, 06:42 AM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
seems to be some misunderstandings here..

not only do you increase the gas speed the main gain is in keeping heat out of the engine bay it has nothing to do with getting every last bhp.. with regards to fire and issues I have seen more melted looms and engine fires with unwrapped headers than wrapped.. oil leaks are simple to check for and unless the leak is an instant failure in which case unwrapped or wrapped you are likely to have an issue you shouldn't be on track with an oil leak anyway.

Ceramic headers work well but the ceramic doesn't last forever and peels off over time, although wrap depending on make doesn't last forever either, but is easy to repair in situe and can be used on old headers where as ceramic needs spotlessly clean headers.

I have ceramic coated on one of my cars and wrapped on the other.. the wrapped headers keep the noise in much better, the ceramic sound like there is leak.. but the ceramic coating (in white) would show any leak..

Given the choice I would wrap them with decent quality wrap, there is no option of leaving tubular headers bear imho.. too much risk of melting something or fire if a sudden leak.

As to Det it actually reduces it.. the gas flow is increased therefore on the exhaust stroke the cylinder is cleared of the exhaust gas better, leaving the cylinder emptier of left over combustion gas for the next cycle.. so you gain power, torque and less chance of det as the charge is much cleaner/ fresher in the cylinder.. also intake temps are reduced as well as engine temp in general as the engine bay temperature is lower, back pressure is reduced.

Simon
Errrr that will be wraped then Greig
Old 12-02-2010, 08:58 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Errrr that will be wraped then Greig
I reckon so
Old 16-02-2010, 10:39 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Following on from this, how much heatrap is needed to cover a 4 into 1 manifold/uppipe?, and cheapest place to purchase some and some metal ties ?.

Cheers
Old 16-02-2010, 11:05 AM
worzel

Mate, it is horrific how much it costs! Especially the metal ties!!

I got mine from Agriemach www.agriemach.com

They have a factory unit in Uckfield and an office in Copthorne.
Old 16-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Car Builder Solutions in Staplehurst £46 for 16M inc 10 ties http://www.cbsonline.co.uk/exhaust-w...rp50-454-p.asp

Think Auto £1.49 per Meter, no ties http://www.thinkauto.com/cgi-bin/ca000001.pl

Ebay http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_t...All-Categories

Last edited by Scott.T; 16-02-2010 at 12:42 PM.
Old 16-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Not from my own experiance but the headers I have from Harvey used DEI heatwrap and a neat trick of twisted stainless steel wire in place of the 'cable ties'.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 16-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Bronze Member

there is no point going for cheapy wrap as it will break up and go tatty and need renewing after a short space of time. buy cheap by twice!

If your going to do it, do it properly with DEI titanium wrap. This is what i have, and we had to cut it using tin snips. And it looks cool

Old 16-02-2010, 02:44 PM
worzel

Thats the very stuff I bought. Top gear
Old 16-02-2010, 03:20 PM

Feck me, That's mighty nice stuff but that wrap will cost me more than my car is worth lol . I here what you say about buy cheap buy twice, but I'm on a budget with this car so looking for a budget solution that will last the time I have the car .......... Mmmm ebay has my calling.

I get all the mumbo jumbo tecky science and reason behind the need for it - But in truth my only real motivation for some is in case I have a bad oil leak at any point, in which case the heatrap might just give me just that little bit more warning of an impending fire. And I wouldnt mind deadening the tinny noise down a bit.

Looks like I need allot of it, what ever brand make I go for though.!

Last edited by RobEvo5; 16-02-2010 at 04:08 PM.
Old 16-02-2010, 03:34 PM

Probably going to plumb for this one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:en
Old 16-02-2010, 03:49 PM
worzel

That'll do nicely matey.
Old 16-02-2010, 05:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
Probably going to plumb for this one.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tchlink:top:en

You'll need 2 rolls of that to do your headers, up-pipe and downpipe.

You may have a little left over.