South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 13-07-2012, 07:21 PM
Platinum Member

Default Drove the Toyobaru today

On the cover of Autocar

Same car on Newhaven seafront

It was nicely run-in after the journos had had their play. Lovely car - great driving position for a short-ar*e, great handling, great gearbox (Subaru six speed but with quick shift), great brakes, but you only get the real power at high revs, sort of 6k plus. Still, it was great fun for the limited time we had the car, and I would recommend a drive. Julia enjoyed it too! Can't wait to try the Subaru version!!

Old 13-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Nige

Snap so did I
Old 13-07-2012, 07:39 PM
Platinum Member

What did you think Nige? Like the looks of that (£200 ish notes for the stripe kit), although the Toyota Racing Developments version with a bit more power and bodykit comes out in Jan next year...

Old 13-07-2012, 08:36 PM
Silver Member

saw subaru version drive through battle last week!
Old 13-07-2012, 08:48 PM
Gold Member

Think they both look the part but sadly I don't think the power does the looks justice. They're are far from alone there though!
Old 15-07-2012, 05:35 PM
Regular User

Culverwells Subaru at Robertsbridge has one in blue
Old 15-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmx fozzy View Post
Culverwells Subaru at Robertsbridge has one in blue
they were going to organise an open day for us with that and the new forester type one I thought?
Old 16-07-2012, 09:50 AM
Bronze Member

Was seriously considering holding out to order one of these, haven't looked at one but from what I've read interior quality isn't spectacular and engine requires flogging. Also not sure I would want any teething issues of a new model and no idea what residuals would be like. Instead have ordered something all fur coat ne knickers for now. Fingers crossed for a subaru turbo one then I may reconsider!
Old 16-07-2012, 09:57 AM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
What did you think Nige? Like the looks of that (£200 ish notes for the stripe kit), although the Toyota Racing Developments version with a bit more power and bodykit comes out in Jan next year...

Looks fantastic & a fantastic handling car I thought. Sadly not enough power. In my attempt to turn the traction control button off it broke. Some very clever People have spent along time makeing that car handle. It deserves more power.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
they were going to organise an open day for us with that and the new forester type one I thought?
I rang them about this a few weeks ago, and Marc said they were not sure when the two they had allocated would arrive, and that they would arrange something when the cars were there. They are only getting TWO !! Whereas if I ordered a GT86 today I would get it on 1st Sept, and I had a choice of trim and colour!

Not sure what's going on.............
Old 16-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Looks fantastic & a fantastic handling car I thought. Sadly not enough power. In my attempt to turn the traction control button off it broke. Some very clever People have spent along time makeing that car handle. It deserves more power.
Agree with that. You can feel how light the car is, but modest power is all at the top end, so hard work to play in everyday driving.
Old 16-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Silver Member

to be honest ive driven both the subaru and the toyota(son works for toyota)
the differences in the interiors are like chalk and cheese!!!!!!
the toyotas interior is a superb finish and the quality of plastics germanic
where as the subarus was poor to be honest
the cars drove the same allthough the engine noise in the toyota was better(they use a noise producer that forces it into the cabin)
also combine this with the 5 years warranty toyota give over subarus 3!
as far as driving goes i loved the fact you had to rev them!and to be honest you could flick the ass out whenever you wanted if thats your preference!
the only time it felt slightly underpowered was off the lights but once rolling felt nice and urgent!
toyota will take the supercharged route,leaving subaru to follow their turbo history!
all in all a great car with a great chassis
one thing realy cool!!!!!no inner arches!just rubber arches that you can push from behind the wheel of inside the engine bay(weight reduction)
good car but at the price you could pick up a fantastic 350z and turn it into a beast and still have money to travel the world!
Old 17-07-2012, 07:51 AM
Platinum Member

Nice review Simon!! Some interesting points there!!

Old 18-07-2012, 06:58 PM
Regular User

very honest review