South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > Non Scooby / Non Car Related

Non Scooby / Non Car Related Anything Non-Scooby related.

Old 22-07-2011, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Default Need help choosing driving simulator guys

I need to learn the ring

I've spent some time looking at driving sims/games and is the Grand Turismo series the only one with The Ring on it ?

I've just watched video reviews etc and GT5 isn't getting reviews that are too convincing.

My son has left home now and taken his PS3 & Xbox with him and whilst GT4 was ok I must say the Xbox driving games/sims blew the PS3 out the window when it came to graphics and realism. I only had a few times on it and we were racing around the streets.
Are there any Xbox games with The Ring.
I'll be going up Stiggy's soon and will be getting a thrashing from you guys around the ring on his PS3 no doubt

What are your thoughts?

Cheers for your help guys
Old 22-07-2011, 12:54 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

The games don't really work imo.

You're better off just watching a load of youtube clips, trying to remember the sequence of corners coming up in front of you.
Old 22-07-2011, 01:09 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
The games don't really work imo.

You're better off just watching a load of youtube clips, trying to remember the sequence of corners coming up in front of you.

I spent quite a lot of time learning the ring on GT5. Even down to creating a scooby with the same kind of power and suspension set up and soft sport tyres, to try and make it "more realistic" . First lap out there I cooked my brakes big time. You are onto some corners so much quicker than in the game, especially early on.

The most I learnt on the ring this year was the 7/8 corners I managed to keep Neil in sight. Following his lines on track was by far the best way to do it.

The only thing you can really learn form any of the games is what way a corner goes, beyond that mate they are useless for learning the ring. Although it is fairly useful know what's coming up left and right wise.

So in answer to the question, get what ever game suits what ever games system you have and just learn which way the corners go.

Some of the videos posted in the ring section are much better to learn with IMHO. Especially StevePPP's one. His is smooth and fairly quick, so you'll get a lot of the lines from it quite well.
Old 22-07-2011, 01:23 PM
thepieman

John Felsteads On Track Nurburgring DVD is a good watch and explains how to drive it pretty well, even though its a few years old,, the tracks not changed and it shows you cambers etc etc in good detail..

Get GT5 on a PS3 and we can arrange a few evenings again, need to get back into it
Old 22-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Nige

GT5 & the PS3. I have the xbox & related Ring games & no way is it as good as the PS3. You just might have the wrong leads for it. The game will give you an idea this may help more though mate.
http://bridgetogantry.com/2/index.ph...&Itemid=300060
As mentioned let us know when you have it so we can get on line.
Old 22-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks fellas.

I must admit it's not the same as I have been on several Brands simulation games and as mentioned it only gives you an idea of what's around the next bend.

Cheers
Old 22-07-2011, 04:32 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

I have watched a few videos of the ring,

this one has got to be one of the best,

with the three cars you get more of an idea of gradients etc
Old 23-07-2011, 12:39 PM
Bronze Member

Good Vid .. does help a lot

Ex owner of - (Scoobie Less at present - still looking for one)

Subaru 1998 Classic UK Saloon (250 BHP) AWD Turbo and Subaru 1994 Classic UK Wagon (211 BHP) AWD Turbo
Old 24-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Bronze Member

There's a place nt gatwick pts or something its in a F1 car but very very realistic it's about £30.00 but well worth the money
Old 24-07-2011, 01:01 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
John Felsteads On Track Nurburgring DVD is a good watch and explains how to drive it pretty well, even though its a few years old,, the tracks not changed and it shows you cambers etc etc in good detail..
Agree with that, if you need a copy Clive let me know
Old 24-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Bronze Member

Nice video, looks immense!
Old 24-07-2011, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

GT5 is probably more realistic than Forza Motorsport or NFS,which are really arcade games.
Here is video

If you have fast PC try download LFS(Life For Speed),which is most realistic game with rFactor,but for full benefit and potential i would recommend play with nice steering wheel such as Logitech G25(this only work with PC or PS3,not working with Xbox 360)
Here is video from rFactor

Jura
Old 25-07-2011, 09:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mylilscooby View Post
There's a place nt gatwick pts or something its in a F1 car but very very realistic it's about £30.00 but well worth the money
Pure Tech Racing is the place you are thinking off.

http://www.puretechracing.com/gatwickcentre/

Not used it myself but have heard its good. Would rather use the £30 on the karting track down the road though!