South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 10-01-2013, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member

Default service

Went to my local subaru dealer to find how it would cost for a major service . When they told me the price I nearly chocked . £900 are they having a laugh . I don't know how they can charge so much . Sounds more like they just want to rip there customers off .
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Gold Member

Should of asked if you used lube or not...as being done in the bum must be part of there service.
Old 10-01-2013, 04:36 PM
Silver Member

Thats abit steep!! Thats bmw n audi prices lol did you ask what ud get for your money?? i took my a3 to audi for a service and i paid 200+ just for liquids!! had my own plugs n they wanted 80 to fit! plus they wanted 300 labour as they snaped a nut from the bell housing whilst changing clutch my bill was steep but refused to pay for there misshap!! They phoned me saying it was ready thy just test driving it the fella was raggin the ****e out of it then come back n switched off the engine without lettin cool down! once i got the motor back they gave a sheet of paper that had all the things they recon it needed i had to laugh these stealerships must think were divs !! neva again!!!!!
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Regular User

What do you get for your money ??
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
A technicians expertease.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley View Post
Diff oil replaced
Engine oil replaced
Gearbox oil replaced
Coolant replaced
Brake fluid replaced
Air filter replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Oil filter replaced
Power steering fluid replaced
Cambelt replaced
Old 13-01-2013, 01:46 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Diff oil replaced
Engine oil replaced
Gearbox oil replaced
Coolant replaced
Brake fluid replaced
Air filter replaced
Fuel filter replaced
Oil filter replaced
Power steering fluid replaced
Cambelt replaced
£900 might sound a lot, but thats a big old list you have there.

The cambelt is due every 50k, but as its a Subaru dealer, i'd expect their quote to include the idlers/tensioners, plus maybe the water pump too. Just the cam belt kit with a standard oil service would be ~£500 i'd expect from a main dealer. Doing gearbox & diff oil, plus coolant, brake and power steering fluid and £900 doesn't actually sound too bad....
Old 13-01-2013, 07:23 PM
Regular User

Also agree with all that on the list it does not sound too bad as long as they do change all what they say
Old 13-01-2013, 07:46 PM
Authorised Trader

a decent independent would do that for £500 or less............

and a water pump is NOT a service item on Subaru's so doubt it would include it, you'll be lucky if the dealer price includes idelrs/tensioner also

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 13-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by asperformance View Post
a decent independent would do that for £500 or less............

and a water pump is NOT a service item on Subaru's so doubt it would include it, you'll be lucky if the dealer price includes idelrs/tensioner also
cant be too healthy not doing idlers as these some times go before the belt?
Old 13-01-2013, 08:23 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Mine has always had its main annual service by a main dealer and its never been that much,

if it was Id go elsewhere.
Old 13-01-2013, 08:41 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

It's £900 as it included a Cambelt which IIRC dealers quote 5 hours at approx £85+VAT per hour and then charge probably £120 a belt.

If you throw in Brake Fluid, Gear/Diff Oil, Engine Oil, it soon gets close to that figure at dealer prices.

Hey but on the positive at least you won't have to pay £50 for a Pollen Filter on a classic.

Is yours UK or import. If Import they probably won't touch it.
Old 13-01-2013, 08:48 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Mine has always had its main annual service by a main dealer and its never been that much,

if it was Id go elsewhere.
Yeah, but this list included changing coolant, brake fluid, diff/gearbox oil, power steering fluid - none of which get done at every main service. Think coolant is every 30k (if it even needs it, they can test its effectiveness and if its still good i bet they don't change it!), plus diff/gearbox every 60k....

On another note.... 5 hours to do a cam belt, really?? I've got the whole kit still in the garage (bought from Alyn a couple of month ago) and need to arrange to get it fitted.
Old 13-01-2013, 09:09 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Yeah, but this list included changing coolant, brake fluid, diff/gearbox oil, power steering fluid - none of which get done at every main service. Think coolant is every 30k (if it even needs it, they can test its effectiveness and if its still good i bet they don't change it!), plus diff/gearbox every 60k....

On another note.... 5 hours to do a cam belt, really?? I've got the whole kit still in the garage (bought from Alyn a couple of month ago) and need to arrange to get it fitted.
A good scooby independent could probably do it in 3-4, but Subaru Computer say 5. So that's what they charge (IIRC) regardless.

Also as mentioned above you need to factor in the possible change of tensioners and idlers. The last tensioner I bought from Subaru for the MY99 was £180. I think these are now around £60 as a pattern part.

Early classics have a more basic tensioner which I thik is cheaper. Alyn should be able to confirm.
Old 13-01-2013, 09:22 PM
Silver Member

Is it a bumper off jobbie for timing belt?
Old 14-01-2013, 01:56 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
It's £900 as it included a Cambelt which IIRC dealers quote 5 hours at approx £85+VAT per hour and then charge probably £120 a belt.

If you throw in Brake Fluid, Gear/Diff Oil, Engine Oil, it soon gets close to that figure at dealer prices.

Hey but on the positive at least you won't have to pay £50 for a Pollen Filter on a classic.

Is yours UK or import. If Import they probably won't touch it.
Yes it's a import but from Australia so it's classed as a uk spec model and what's on the list is what needs done for 120000 mile service and its and all day job they said . If I buy all of the oils,Lubs and parts it will cost me £300 and I can get all the work done for £200 to £300 from my local garage who does all the work on the scooby
Old 14-01-2013, 09:19 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
cant be too healthy not doing idlers as these some times go before the belt?
Subaru idlers/tensioner are always changed on an "inspection" basis, they aren't a service item like on the likes of VW where the parts tend to fail if you look at the belt the wrong way................
thats why there aren't many companies supplying "belt kits" as there is a limited market.....

we have been messing with Subaru's for approx 15yrs and never changed a w/pump on service for example as they very rarley give any issue (we tend to fit all new on engine builds or at least strongly recomend)
the pre98 cars in particular also very rarely require tensioners

PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 14-01-2013, 09:20 AM
Authorised Trader

ps. no need to strip the car to change belt either..........depending on exact job its a radiator/fans at most

online shop!!