South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 13-04-2014, 07:41 PM
Gold Member

Are those the clamps that leaked?, if so im surprised as they look a decent clamp and would of thought they'd be better than just jubilee jobbies
Old 13-04-2014, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
good effort. you wouldn't have had time for ps3 today then
haha I replaced all the clamps last night, was angry so did it straight away, finished at 10pm! :S

Today I fixed the exhaust rattle + washed it.. Time for PS3 now

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.

Last edited by Ginola; 13-04-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 13-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granby View Post
Are those the clamps that leaked?, if so im surprised as they look a decent clamp and would of thought they'd be better than just jubilee jobbies
Yea they are, well.. you would think so but each join had various leaks on one side or the other and blew bubbles some where too fast to even blow a bubble at a mere 10psi pressure :S they where all tight.., A jubilee is half the width, so much greater pressure over the given surface area, I might have to invest in some proper murray clamps but they are expensive and the jubilee clips seem to be doing the job. I'm still annoyed over having to spend 3 hours replacing them. There is nothing in any instructions about specific torque settings for the supplied clamps, so I just did them tight with a 10mm ratchet spanner (I didn't use a breaker bar!)

Old 13-04-2014, 08:19 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
Yea they are, well.. you would think so but each join had various leaks on one side or the other and blew bubbles some where too fast to even blow a bubble at a mere 10psi pressure :S they where all tight.., A jubilee is half the width, so much greater pressure over the given surface area, I might have to invest in some proper murray clamps but they are expensive and the jubilee clips seem to be doing the job. I'm still annoyed over having to spend 3 hours replacing them. There is nothing in any instructions about specific torque settings for the supplied clamps, so I just did them tight with a 10mm ratchet spanner (I didn't use a breaker bar!)
I've got a few decent clamps left over from my old fmic install, if your going to the breakfast meet i'll bring them along and you can take your pick
Old 13-04-2014, 08:20 PM

Quote:
I've got a few decent clamps left over from my old fmic install, if your going to the breakfast meet i'll bring them along and you can take your pick
Oooo That would be brilliant!! Yes we will be there thank you sir!

Old 13-04-2014, 08:27 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Oooo That would be brilliant!! Yes we will be there thank you sir!
No problem, can't see me using them in the near future unless i get it turbo'd as well as supercharged
Old 03-05-2014, 08:13 PM

Default FMIC/OC fitting - The stealth look!

Fixed the "oil cooler a little warm on track" issue and enlarged the cold air intake to match on the other side..

Got hold of a second hand set of fog covers (so I can obviously still have the stealth standard look when wanted!) I already had a second drivers side cover with a toe eye hole pre-drilled, but missed the passenger fog cover.. (Many thanks BigE!)

I spent most evenings this week occupying the shed and using the oven in the kitchen baking paint! much to Wanda's amusement.

This was the idea.. fit as big a duct as possible in the cover without making it look REALLY crap!

So sand down with 400 grit and then 600 and prime! bake/prime/bake rub down some more/dry prime/bake!

Once the Primer was done it was on with the metallic, no rubbing down here other than 1 coat before the end.. Looks pants without lacquer!

I didn't use a mask 1 night, and my shed is pretty small, the night was painful as was the next day.. so did my best Bane impression the next night..

Once they have had 5 or 6 coats of metallic and some lacquer they look a lot better.. just a quick flatten with some 2500grit and a quick compound and polish!

Not a bad colour match!

The finished article. with custom gauze glued in place.

The other side was a lot easier, I simply cut the hole pealed the remaining stickers of and mounted the duct..

The end result on the car doesn't look to bad I think.. It should hopefully be very effective, The ID of the ducts is 89mm!

Just to reiterate, I still have original covers and am able to swap between the two!

Last edited by Ginola; 04-05-2014 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:22 PM
Gold Member

Nice work
Old 03-05-2014, 10:48 PM
Platinum Member

Looking good Dave
Old 04-05-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Nice work
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
Looking good Dave
Cheers guys!
Really interesting watching the oil temps with this, in traffic on Saturday through Hove/Brighton temps never crept above 91, it just shows some heat escape when stationary also helps rather than having it in a closed off space with a small slit for ventilation.
On the run back from Goodwood today being a little fruity with 1 or 2 Supercar's temps never got above 85, really happy!

I wasn't sure if I would like the look with the dirty great holes/ducts in the front fog covers but I think I do! Wanda likes it too so all good!

Old 28-05-2014, 03:30 PM

New front hub assembly ordered

Old 03-08-2014, 10:29 PM

Fitted this a couple of weeks ago to try and drop engine bay pressure to assist cooling, seems to have worked! Just have to hope now it doesn't cause any odd aero effects at 150mph!

Old 03-08-2014, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Interesting idea, have you thought about putting a smaller wrx scoop on?
Old 03-08-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Interesting idea, have you thought about putting a smaller wrx scoop on?

Yes, removing it would be the best thing and a reverse scoop / vent but it changes the look of the thing an awful lot

Old 04-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Silver Member

Go on, you know you want to try a reverse scoop ....
Old 23-08-2014, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytes View Post
Go on, you know you want to try a reverse scoop ....
So after our breakfast meet this arrived on Wednesday ..

(Please excuse the phone quality photos :S)

It came primed, So after a few coats of halfrawds mixed O2C blue and a couple of coats of lacquer a good flatten down and then cut with some compound the result was half decent and will do for now.. this was a lengthy process as it would not fit in the oven!! .. A hair dryer sufficed

And fitted... Colour match is pretty decent.. though hard to tell in these photos..

Took the car for a quick blast and the results where very encouraging, water temps stayed low and I noted a drop of about 3 to 4 degrees in intake temps which I was not expecting.. :O
I also noted a 4 to 5 degree increase of temps directly above the turbo (to be expected as no massive scoop ramming air over it) but perfectly acceptable.

This is function over form!! the scoop is not going anywhere! (The Handbrake will make sure of that!) but for trackdays were temps get high, I hope this will help pull a bit more air through the rad/FMIC.

I will report after the next track day if it helped! if not.. time to chop a WRC style hole in the front of the bonnet!

Last edited by Ginola; 23-08-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 24-08-2014, 12:16 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
So after our breakfast meet this arrived on Wednesday ..

(Please excuse the phone quality photos :S)

It came primed, So after a few coats of halfrawds mixed O2C blue and a couple of coats of lacquer a good flatten down and then cut with some compound the result was half decent and will do for now.. this was a lengthy process as it would not fit in the oven!! .. A hair dryer sufficed

And fitted... Colour match is pretty decent.. though hard to tell in these photos..

Took the car for a quick blast and the results where very encouraging, water temps stayed low and I noted a drop of about 3 to 4 degrees in intake temps which I was not expecting.. :O
I also noted a 4 to 5 degree increase of temps directly above the turbo (to be expected as no massive scoop ramming air over it) but perfectly acceptable.

This is function over form!! the scoop is not going anywhere! (The Handbrake will make sure of that!) but for trackdays were temps get high, I hope this will help pull a bit more air through the rad/FMIC.

I will report after the next track day if it helped! if not.. time to chop a WRC style hole in the front of the bonnet!
Now that looks pretty smart totally transforms the car and looks like a different bonnet as well Dave I think I should send some parts to you to get sprayed . Keep up the good work Dave .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 24-08-2014, 12:28 AM
Silver Member

Very impressive Dave

Can I send mine over for a quick 02c spray too ....
Old 24-08-2014, 01:09 AM
SES Catering & Picnic Services

Good job with the reverse scoop but I do prefer the horn back on the rhino xxx let's hope it helps the track days and look forward to the scoop inbetween xxx

Last edited by The Handbrake; 24-08-2014 at 01:58 PM.
Old 24-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Gold Member

Good job.

Not my bag of rice aesthetically, but if it does the job then it can only be a good thing. The car is there to perform after all!
Old 24-08-2014, 09:40 AM
Gold Member

I think it looks alright mate and I love the scoops as I've said before. Liking yours though, good work!
Old 25-08-2014, 07:15 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Nice work mate

I really like that.... cracking effort with the paint too, looks really good
Old 08-10-2014, 10:24 AM
Bronze Member

Looks seriously good with that grill in place of the vent dude. Awesome looking car.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:47 AM

Cheers all

Old 22-09-2015, 09:19 PM

So its been a while since I've updated this thread but thought I'd do a small update,

As many of you know I am paranoid about knocks and slapping noises (not the kinky kind!) but the ones from bores & pistons, and as my car has managed a fair few fairly hard track days.. I am always nice and gentle with it!
I felt it was high time to swap the engine out for something a little less.. "used" It would be fair to say that I have more than had my moneys worth out of the current unit with 2 trips to Spa and 3 trips to the ring + various track days in-between, none of which have been done at standard power levels. So the plunge was made the and the bank violated etc etc, I sourced a low mileage JDM STI engine from a reliable local supplier, that was imported in a standard car and went about purchasing the additional bits and bobs required...
The shopping list included..

Harvey 3 bolt up-pipe to go with my RCM manifold (that has lived on the office floor for a year!)
11mm oil pump (I like a nice lubed engine!)
New gates belt kit, Oil & Filter, Plugs, sealant, Coolant
Rear break pads (PFC items), diff oil and a pair of front wheel bearings (I seem to eat these for some reason!)

Several ££££s later some time was booked with Richard at FB Tuning for the work to be undertaken and the day of reckoning was at hand! I came over all nostalgic driving the car to the workshop knowing that the engine was coming out of her and how good at had been to me, all the pulls on the autobahn, trips to Isle of Man & Germany etc etc, but at least this way I am saving the heart for a later project ^^

Bits stripped off and getting ready to be pulled! bye bye old friend!

nooo!

Soon to spin again!

All out in a couple of hours and bits removed an hour later

Much to mine and my wallet's dismay the flywheel and clutch where inspected and deemed to be not worth re-fitting. Looking at the wear on it and the state of the flywheel it simply wasn't worth messing with..

Some nice cracking! Like I said I am always gentle!

So off to Lateral for a new one! a couple of hours later..

New oil pump prepared and fitted, new timing belt kit and bits and bobs fitted.

With my current set-up there are quite a few bolt ons to swap over including a group N sump which needed quite a bit of cleaning. The jury is still out on this one as to whether or not the Millers 10w60 Nanotech that I've been using doesn't have enough detergent in it or there was some other underlying issue that caused the blackening visible in the next pics. There where sooty deposits all over the place!

Sump all cleaned, steamed and then blown dry.

Old engine underneath (no windage tray with group N sump!) sooty!

New engine underneath, clean.

Getting there!

We noticed this when re-fitting the radiator. Pretty scary and a potential fire risk. I think it had either got very hot just above manifold or something rubbed against it.
Repaired, cable moved higher up and sorted with a little mod

So up until this point everything had going reasonably smooth which as many of you know is not normally how these things go. Well this was no exception with everything re-fitted and nearly ready to go, oil and coolant loaded back into the engine. We primed the oil to get some round the engine, only to discover a big oil leak!! Oil was sitting on top of the block and all over the back of the engine dripping down by the turbo! oh noes!!

We quickly worked out that the only place that it could be coming from was from the hard oil feed line that pumps oil to the turbo.. this as many of you know is a bit of pig to get to. The world almost ended!!

Knowing there was no other choice we set about removing everything off the top of the block (AC pipes, manifold, turbo and water cross over pipe) to find the offending item. We had re-used the original line that came with the new engine but it was sat at the wrong angle for my turbo. We had previously warmed it all up and bent it into position but by doing so we had inevitably cracked it. Not easily visible as the crack was facing towards the block/turbo but clearly visible when removed.

By the time we had finally got everything back together, once again primed the system, gapped/fitted the plugs, re-filled with coolant and turned the key.... there was an overwhelming sense of relief as she fired into life instantly and oh what difference.. its very quiet, I'm not used to this virtually no slap business

Somewhere in the above 25 hour marathon I also managed to fit the new rear pads and swap the diff oil out for some nice LS Millers stuff

Due to the extra time to remove and re-fit everything we ran out of time for mapping but will get this done in the very near future.

Say hello to 8k RPM rev limit and aggressive cam profiles!

Last edited by Ginola; 22-09-2015 at 09:43 PM.
Old 22-09-2015, 09:19 PM

Next day! and home again I got on with replacing the 2 front wheel bearing cartridges,

Not too bad a job on a wide-track you can actually do these in situe without removing the drive shafts at all.

Thank's CJ for popping over and lending a hand

I also could not live with a dirty engine bay (MANY FINGER PRINTS!) so gave it a quick clean ready for mapping!

Old 22-09-2015, 09:39 PM
Silver Member

Amazing read Dave! She's one awesome car!!
Old 22-09-2015, 09:56 PM
Formerly Conrad

Awesome. 👍😀💪
Old 22-09-2015, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

Nice replacement until you sorce a spec c block in the near future if one ever comes up for sale again .

1998 UK Turbo , 1998 Terzo , 1997 JDM Type R the money pit , 2004 black WRX STI Type UK , 2004 blue FSTI
Old 23-09-2015, 12:00 AM

Nice work dude. Look forward to going for a spin when it's mapped
Old 23-09-2015, 12:08 AM

Nice, mucho approvo.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 23-09-2015, 12:18 AM
Silver Member

Great job fella & good luck with the map
Old 23-09-2015, 08:37 AM
Gold Member

really good read!! looking good!! did you do any further investigation into the millers nano tech,soot issues???
Old 23-09-2015, 08:58 AM
Platinum Member

Good going, think it took me just as long to fit an ARB and fuel pump.
Old 23-09-2015, 09:20 AM

Looks amazing Dave - how many cups of coffee were consumed during that work I wonder! ha ha

Can't wait to see and hear the results...

Ryan

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 23-09-2015, 10:02 AM

Amazing stuff Dave, great write up and can't wait to hear about the results after the mapping. I never felt what your car was like in its now previous form, let's hope I will get to experience it with its new heart soon!
Old 23-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Gold Member

Nice work Dave, are you gonna try a different oil?
Old 23-09-2015, 10:35 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NL03Scooby View Post
Amazing stuff Dave, great write up and can't wait to hear about the results after the mapping. I never felt what your car was like in its now previous form, let's hope I will get to experience it with its new heart soon!
So you never got a passenger ride at the ring offt you enjoy when you can get a hot lap with Dave its lets just say ITS A BLOODY MISSILE

Old 23-09-2015, 03:14 PM

Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm still looking into the oil situation, I'm considering switching, if I do it will be to Motul 15/50 but kind of wanted to stick with the soup that is 10w60 as its a little thicker up at high temps.

the old engine had done 1950miles on that lot of oil btw

I found this on a thread on pistonheads:-

The 'Nano-drive' additive is not the moly, like I say, the moly in the analysis is a soluable form, which the vast majority of engine oils use these days, the Millers is just rather high in it as it's designed really as a competition oil so won't have as many detergents/dispersants fighting for the surface interface (although they do have similar levels to API specs so can be used daily), and doesn't need to meet regulations on phosphorous levels (so can use more ZDDP, etc).
The 'nano-tech' bit is actually a tungsten disulphide additive I believe, not moly.

Last edited by Ginola; 23-09-2015 at 03:43 PM.
Old 23-09-2015, 04:31 PM

I've been using the standard 10w60 Millers CFS for years on mine, wonder what it looks like inside

But then all the time it works, i'm not bothered. Thats also why I don't have an oil temp gauge
Old 23-09-2015, 04:56 PM

Always used Millers Nanotech in mine

(but then I do only drive at 30mph!)

Maintained and Modified by Super Jules
&
RM Performance http://www.rmperformance.co.uk
Old 23-09-2015, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I've been using the standard 10w60 Millers CFS for years on mine, wonder what it looks like inside

But then all the time it works, i'm not bothered. Thats also why I don't have an oil temp gauge
One of these days you will wake up and I will have fitted an oil temp gauge to your car!

Old 23-09-2015, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Schweet Dave Just to be nosey how many miles has each engine covered?
Old 23-09-2015, 08:19 PM
Platinum Member

I use the 15/ 60 version and not had the blackness you have at rebuild time
Old 23-09-2015, 08:23 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the kind comments, I'm still looking into the oil situation, I'm considering switching, if I do it will be to Motul 15/50 but kind of wanted to stick with the soup that is 10w60 as its a little thicker up at high temps.

the old engine had done 1950miles on that lot of oil btw

I found this on a thread on pistonheads:-

The 'Nano-drive' additive is not the moly, like I say, the moly in the analysis is a soluable form, which the vast majority of engine oils use these days, the Millers is just rather high in it as it's designed really as a competition oil so won't have as many detergents/dispersants fighting for the surface interface (although they do have similar levels to API specs so can be used daily), and doesn't need to meet regulations on phosphorous levels (so can use more ZDDP, etc).
The 'nano-tech' bit is actually a tungsten disulphide additive I believe, not moly.
thanks for that...
Old 23-09-2015, 08:40 PM

Quote:
One of these days you will wake up and I will have fitted an oil temp gauge to your car!
If you could jack it up and fix the oil leak on it at the same time, that'd be great
Old 23-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Platinum Member

Great read Dave , looking forward to the mapping results
Old 26-09-2015, 11:58 PM

Mapped today, more timing, lots more airflow run slightly less boost (3% less duty) making lots more power :O circa 430bhp was the given guestimate, can turn the boost up more but think that will do for now

Seems a fair bit faster, pulls harder than before and keeps going:O seems weird flying into the red line and keep going before changing, despite owning a JDM car before shifting at nearly 8 grand now seems a little alien, Perhaps I need a JDM rev counter..

Quote:
Originally Posted by alfa male View Post
Schweet Dave Just to be nosey how many miles has each engine covered?
old engine, just over 80k 45 of which covered at around the 400bhp mark, newer JDM now fitted, 49k (removed for a standard car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by C. J. View Post
I use the 15/ 60 version and not had the blackness you have at rebuild time
do you use cfs 15/60 or nanodrive 15/60 dude? I used to run 15/60 summer and 10/60 or 10/50 winter (didn't feel the need for 60 in the winter and not on track)

I think I will replace the current oil with Motul 15/50 when back.

Last edited by Ginola; 27-09-2015 at 12:03 AM.
Old 27-09-2015, 12:13 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mapped today, more timing, lots more airflow run slightly less boost (3% less duty) making lots more power :O circa 430bhp was the given guestimate, can turn the boost up more but think that will do for now
Oh yes i need another passenger lap to see and feel the difference

Old 27-09-2015, 11:20 AM

Looks like some pleasing results then, when you can claim it 'pulls harder for longer' I think that says it all for a positive result, good stuff.

Getting it out on track will be the real tell tale sign now.