South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Engine Management

Engine Management For all your mapping,diagnostics and electronics

Old 26-11-2009, 11:12 PM
Silver Member

Default Broquet fuel cat

Been looking at these is anybody running the pellets in tank.Lot's of mixed view's over the net but did find on one post that they were fitted in the P1 but can not find anything to back this up.

http://www.broquet.co.uk/
Old 26-11-2009, 11:54 PM
Gold Member

What would you be hoping to gain by using this???

Save your money.
Old 27-11-2009, 08:42 AM
worzel

Wouldn't be too happy dropping fish food in my tank!

Can't really see the benefits, more suited to vintage motors I reckon.
Old 27-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Platinum Member

just read it and to be honest it dosent really look like it gives any benifit to modern cars, it says it removes carbon deposits, stops pinking and stops smoking but thats just the same as the fuel additives you get from halfrauds, apart from the additives are up to £30 and these start from around £100, as worzel said cant really see the benifits unless its a vintage vehicle or using leaded petrol
Old 27-11-2009, 10:52 AM
Silver Member

Yep i did find this on SN that Bob Rawle wrote about them on 2 of his cars it was back in 2003.

"I have used Broquet in both Imprezas that I have owned. I too got curious about what it was claimed to do and invested really to find out. At the time I had Sti 2 Wagon running with Link ecu (later Motec), HKS Hiper, Scoobysport downpipe, HKS induction kit etc. I was really interested in seeing if I could use Broquet to increase fuel quality enough so that I could run more ignition advance. The reduction in Ron rating from 98 to 97 (SUL) had necessitated my retarding my timing by several degrees and I was keen to get it back.
I installed the Broquet with a virtually empty tank for safety reasons, drove to the nearest garage for SUL (round trip of 20 miles or so). Driving back I started to notice differences, idle quality improved, engine ran more smoothly, car felt more willing to pull and more flexible. Over the next few weeks I monitored fuel consumption and did get an improvement, not by the 9% some people have mentioned but I certainly got 5%, bear in mind that this is over my "normal" terrain where I use the performance of the car to the full as well as cruise. I found that I had to reduce the fuel map values in order to maintain my optimum AFR. Timing ... well I tried to advance it up, the engine had a higher compression ratio than a saloon so as soon as I pushed it the big red light went off, it was purely down to charge temperature increase due to the boost I was running (1.4 bar) and the small early intercooler. Then I started to use booster as well and was able to make small increases in timing but the charge temperature of the small intercooler was still the limiting factor. I covered some 35000 miles with Broquet in the tank with that car.
I now own a STi 5 four door running with programmable engine management and other goodies. I installed Broquet two weeks ago.
I had already mapped the ecu with as much advance as I reasonably could and was again interested in whether Broquet would make a difference to this car. Same installation process, drive to the same garage after and got exactly the same improvement in all areas on the way back home, car was very much smoother and really felt willing to go. I had already taken a dyno curve of the "before" and waited a week to get the "after". I did the comparison with exactly the same map in the ecu. I was hoping for a power improvement ... I didn't actually get that, what I did get was a very quiet Knocklink, before fitting I would get a couple of steady lights up above 5800 rpm, now nothing. So no increase in power but I felt the opportunity to raise the anti by increasing timing. Since then I have changed the turbo again and so maybe this is not a fair statement but I have been able to increase timing since then and the car is now producing some 20 odd comparative horsepower more than before (lots more torque though). As I say, I am not sure how much of that is down to the turbo change but what I can say is that I certainly was able to advance it up by 1-2 degrees.
So sorry for the epistle but having spent quite a lot of time and effort in attempting to determine its benefits I though that some of you may find this post of interest.
My conclusion is ... engine runs more smoothly, fuel consumption improves in like for like driving situations, performance may be increased if programmable management is used. In short its a benefit and worth the money IMHO."

I was thinking about using one as it is ment to help with bad fuels to help keep the knock down and as my engine is getting on now will try any thing to keep it sweet.But looks like it may need a remap if running Apexi etc so could turn out very expensive.
Old 27-11-2009, 11:24 AM
worzel

Interesting read that.

Bob Rawle being the "Master" of ultra safe fuelling in his mapping, would probably be the best person to listen to on matters like this. IMHO

I would be interested to hear what Simon (JGM) & Scott think of this though, as thier viewpoints may differ from Bobs.

Very interesting stuff this Wez, cheers mate.
Old 27-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Silver Member

Yep hopeing they will reply as you say very interesting.