South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Silver Member

Default 8s ecu

anyone know what year & model a classic 8S ECU would be from ?

even better still, anyone have an url for an ECU chart with the info ?
had a search on the net but couldnt findanything
Old 12-11-2011, 04:31 PM
Regular User

hi mate 8s ecus are fitted to 97 n 98 cars most of them where fitted t the turb2000 and some wrxs
Old 12-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Bronze Member

just as biglee said.
8s was standard on my uk version 3 turbo 2000 i had
an as such no good for imports as have chip an key immobiliser built in are 3 plug an
un mappable
Old 13-11-2011, 10:48 AM
Silver Member

cheers. had a look n thats what I got in my import !
the wiring is a bit of a mystery as it was converted from Auto to manual so i'm guessing thats when the ECU went in with the engine.
Is there any way to tell if it was a UK 2000 or a 97/98 import? i'll keep chuckin 99ron in the tank for now anyways
Old 13-11-2011, 07:03 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
cheers. had a look n thats what I got in my import !
the wiring is a bit of a mystery as it was converted from Auto to manual so i'm guessing thats when the ECU went in with the engine.
Is there any way to tell if it was a UK 2000 or a 97/98 import? i'll keep chuckin 99ron in the tank for now anyways
it will run best on 99ron anyway..

the ecu or the car regarding import or uk? car is easy - does it have a bright button and as it is green I would say it is a uk.

Welcome to pop up when I am working at the dyno and we can power run it and check it with detcans and check fuelling, power etc.

Simon

www.JollyGreenMonster.co.uk

Please follow of Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Jolly-...26125404073166
Old 13-11-2011, 07:26 PM
Regular User

hi simon how much is a power run and set up as id like to put my 440cc yellow injs in thanks lee
Old 13-11-2011, 07:27 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

if you are changing the injectors it will need setting up, whcih on a 97/98 is a new ecu and remap.. you will gain nothing, you will lose power just adding 440cc injectors as it will be ridiculasly rich on boost.

You would be looking at £50 for dyno and a drink to me to check it with detcans, under the bonnet and talk you through the printouts etc.

Simon

Old 13-11-2011, 07:32 PM
Regular User

mines a 94 L wrx 7D ecu with a ecutek plugged on top of the standard ecu if that helps thanks lee
Old 13-11-2011, 07:35 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

oh sorry.

Ecutek never have done anything for 92~96, do you mean esl... is it a mappable or just a chip?

Simon

Old 13-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Regular User

i was told its a mapable chip what ill do il take the ecu out il give you a bell before i txt you a pic if thats ok i know its a red board with 2 chips on it im pritty shore it says ecutek but il check that tomorrow i bought the car from dean at d&f motorsport when they where about thanks lee
Old 13-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Green Monster View Post
....the ecu or the car regarding import or uk? car is easy - does it have a bright button and as it is green I would say it is a uk......
meant is there a way to tell if the ECU is UK or import.
The car i think is an import. "P" button on top of steering column behind steering wheel plus if I leave front fogs on even when the car is parked n keys not in the ignition, the sidelights are on. think that only happenes on imports right ?

i'll keep it on the 99 anyways, just would be handy if the ECU was a UK one as I could put 97 ron in there in an emergency. Plus when I visit ireland which only has 95 ron, I could still fill up oer there nuse a 2-point octane booster
Old 13-11-2011, 08:01 PM
Rest in peace Simon.

they all have the P button.

chip - not mappable.. yes a new map can be loaded onto the eprom if removed and put in a writer but thats not mapping..

Old 13-11-2011, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

duh, i;m such a twat! my logbook is an import one lol

guess at some point i'll be chagning my ecu then. gonna be a year or 2 off before i can do that though ! thanks for the info
Old 13-11-2011, 09:23 PM
Bronze Member

looking at a pic of your wagon

http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ead.php?t=6976

its a version 2 an a 8s ecu is for version 3-4 UK
an is factory mapped for td04 (0.9 bar boost) grey 380 injectors an 208 bhp

your engine should run top entry turbo an have four separate coil packs on each sparkplug
an a slanted intercooler were as version 3 onwards run front entry turbo an a single coilpack on top of the inlet manifold an have a straight mounted intercooler. i have seen several version 2 cars converted to version 3 so maybe thats the case with yours.

8s ecu has 3 plugs an version 2 have 4plugs. have you looked at the plugs as it may just be a version 2 ecu in an 8s case?
Old 14-11-2011, 07:51 AM
Silver Member

turbo is deffo got a TD05. I know cuz I had it off a few months ago to drill out a snapped off stud.
ECU is a 3-plug
Old 14-11-2011, 11:25 AM
Bronze Member

is your turbo front entry? if it is then it sounds like it has been converted into a laiter version 3.as your ecu is a 3 plug you would need a standalone ecu for it to get it mapped wich with a td05 it will need mapping
Old 14-11-2011, 11:39 AM
Silver Member

i've never got my head round the different turbo entry thing as this and the only other scoob i've owned to compare mine with was the same as I have now!
engine runs fine so cant need a map
whatever was needed to get it to work must have been done before i got it
Old 14-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Bronze Member

just because it runs ok doesnt mean it doesnt need a remap. it will need mapping for your turbo otherwise it could run lean at hight revs an det an melt a piston.
your best bet is to get it on the rolling road an check fueling is ok
as mentioned above a 8s ecu is mapped for 380cc injectors an a td04.
it would definatly be worth asking simon what he thinks
or scott aka silversurfer

any turbo upgrade will need mapping.
Old 14-11-2011, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

thanks, but I cant get down to simon as my gearbox is on its way out n i cant do any long or high speed journeys till I get that sorted !

how sure are you that its supposed to be on a TD04 and 208bhp ? cuz my last scoob had been on a rolling road at 276bhp beore i fitted a better exhaust n the 8S is quicker than my old one, I would guess its about 300bhp. ive also done about 7000miles in it since i bought the car n ive not had any engine problems yet. could it survive that long if it was at risk of det cuz of the worng turbo?
Old 14-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
thanks, but I cant get down to simon as my gearbox is on its way out n i cant do any long or high speed journeys till I get that sorted !

how sure are you that its supposed to be on a TD04 and 208bhp ? cuz my last scoob had been on a rolling road at 276bhp beore i fitted a better exhaust n the 8S is quicker than my old one, I would guess its about 300bhp. ive also done about 7000miles in it since i bought the car n ive not had any engine problems yet. could it survive that long if it was at risk of det cuz of the worng turbo?

very sure. i replaced my old 8s with a prodrive ppp ecu on my version 3 uk (97)an also have a 8s
ecu in my garage with 2 matched key chips from a version4 (98) uk

the 8s is definatly uk only ecu setup for a td04 an 208 bhp an as for it doing 7000mile
it all depends how its driven to when it could go bang.
post up under engine managment 8s running a td05 an just see what jgm or silversurfer say.
Old 14-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Silver Member

oh great, so i need a new gearbox and a new ECU and a remap.
think thats gonna cost more than the car is worth...
n I already wased cash on the damned thing
Old 19-11-2011, 05:29 PM
Silver Member

well, had some good news !
took a pic inside the ECU and PM'd silver surfer as the car was originaly advertised as having a scoobyECU. turns out it hasnt, but, the chip and board inside the ECU is aparently from an STI RA 1, but in an 8S case. the chip is a 27C1028 which is mapped for a TD05, so thats one less problem to worry about !