South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:13 PM
Gold Member

Default alan mcnish crash at le mans

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com//11062...ror-crash.html

how the hell did the car not go over the tyre wall,some lucky marshalls etc there today
Old 11-06-2011, 06:57 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Amazing, everyone was very lucky there.......
Old 11-06-2011, 07:46 PM
Authorised Trader

very, very lucky............strangely was reading an interview with McNish today and he was taking about the problems of passing the slower spec cars - spooky

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 11-06-2011, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member

i was watching it at the time....it was pretty tense til he walked out. Amazing strength these race cars
Old 11-06-2011, 08:25 PM
Gold Member

So lucky it didn't go over the barrier....
Old 11-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Silver Member

Look at it slow motion, seems a bit of a khamikazi over-taking move to me? but pleased it turned out ok for everyone.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

OMG ,the camera guy was lucky too with the wheel just missing him?
Old 11-06-2011, 10:52 PM
Gold Member

Another Audi crash at around 200mph

Old 12-06-2011, 10:10 AM
worzel

Thats been one hell of a race so far!

McNish and the marshalls were extremely lucky. The wreckage flying about seemed to miss everyone somehow, unbelievable stuff.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:35 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Watched quite a bit of this today and yesterday when it started, was watching live when McNish crashed. The marshals/media/crowd looked to be more at risk than the driver in that one, worrying how it seemed to get airborne bouncing through the gravel!

Fantastic result for Audi though, the team must really have been on edge after going through two massive crashes like that.
Old 13-06-2011, 02:59 PM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIDLIFE View Post
Look at it slow motion, seems a bit of a khamikazi over-taking move to me? but pleased it turned out ok for everyone.
he was passing slower lapped traffic rather than an outright over-take........think the car in front got confused by the Audi still behind him and didn't see McNish until he turned in on him...........

crap marshalling re the use of blue flags unless you were french by the looks of the rest of the race!!

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 13-06-2011, 06:13 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Was there when it happend, scary, but also amazing to see him get out and walk away. Audi really done the business this year despite crashing 2 cars because ferrari didn't get out the way.

If was even more disturbing when the last remaining audi was nearly taken out by Peugot in a blatent attempt to take them out of the race. The peugot crossed from one side of the road to the other to try and block/take out the audi despite the peugot being a 4th position runner and the slower car. Very poor tactics from peugot and the french team.

Great event and really enjoyed myself once again and will post up some pics at some point. But the weekend was a bit deflated when my Brother in his porsche got pulled by the gendarme and got a 1300 euro fine, banned, car impounded with a court hearing date in Sept. The french police have really clamped down this year, and are a law unto themselves.

I now hate the french and has put me off going back to leman or france for that matter..! Poor sportmans, and the law in france is like something from the wild, wild west.
Old 13-06-2011, 06:30 PM
worzel

That's terrible news. What did they pull him for? There can't be anything bad enough to be hit like that surely! That's ridiculous
Old 13-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post

If was even more disturbing when the last remaining audi was nearly taken out by Peugot in a blatent attempt to take them out of the race. The peugot crossed from one side of the road to the other to try and block/take out the audi despite the peugot being a 4th position runner and the slower car. Very poor tactics from peugot and the french team.
Didnt really watch alot of lemans but i saw that bit, did the peugeot driver get a warning or anything?
Old 14-06-2011, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
That's terrible news. What did they pull him for? There can't be anything bad enough to be hit like that surely! That's ridiculous
Totally disproportionate IMO, and they can do whatever they like with no structure to the legal system. He has been charged with doing 166km/h in a 90km/h. Which I must admit does sound bad, but no one was hurt, and was allegadly clocked at this speed whilst he was overtaking a lorry.

The car can accelerate very quickly. So It was very possible he was only doing 80km/h before the overtake and 166 whilst doing overtake, but would have then backed off again. So I think they have just seen a porsche driver, making an example and throwing the book at him.

The 1300 euro fine already paid, will likely be the tip of the iceburg with impound fee's to be paid, legal fee's to be paid and another heavy fine.!

Its opened my eyes up, and really put me off going back, and the fast car thing as you just can't get to play or enjoy it anymore.
Old 14-06-2011, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyWRX View Post
Didnt really watch alot of lemans but i saw that bit, did the peugeot driver get a warning or anything?
Nope complete cover up by the hoast, They didn't even play a replay of the incident. The radio le-man team wouldn't let it go though, and were on the war path and even went down to the pits and challenged Peugoet team live on air, of which peugeot had little to say.
Old 14-06-2011, 10:41 AM
worzel

That's simply ****ing shocking.

166k sounds a lot, but in reality it isn't really. It is the merest amount over 100mph. On French roads, which are virtually empty most of the time.

I suppose the only thing you could say is, that it would be a ban over here so it should be the same in principle over there, but the 1300 euros and the impounding of the car, plus the extra legal fees is bang out of order. You can probably add the same amount again as a minimum.

IMHO, they were looking for someone just like this, and I would lay good money that there were many other Brits royally ****ed by the Gendarme over the last few days. They must rake it in over this weekend. It's reasons like this that I always try to cruise down to the Ring through France & Belgium, the bastards are everywhere, just waiting for easy pickings. Germany on the other hand