South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 17-08-2013, 08:08 PM
Bronze Member

Exclamation Help & advice needed!!!

Hi all I hope someone can help me I own a 2002 WRX I have just been offered some different alloys with tires on them for it , my car is currently running on 4 tires which are 215/45ZR 17 91W the tires on the other alloys are 205/45ZR 17 88W, will this make any difference to the way the car handles will it be ok running on these new alloys and tires? Also the new alloys didn't come with any bolts they are aftermarket alloys the ones on the car at present are standard so am wondering what size the thread needs to be & if they need to be turner wheel nuts? I am in DESPERATE need of some black gloss finish bolts both sets of alloys are 5 stud, in total I need 20 black gloss finish wheel bolts I really hope someone can help me out here thanks in advance.
Martin

Last edited by Martin H; 17-08-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 17-08-2013, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Tyre width shouldnt be a problem unless its been stupidly streched if the correct size for alloy it should be all good what wheels are they? as for bolts there are plenty on egay just dont by the stupidly cheap ones and if unsure ask seller
Old 17-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonner View Post
Tyre width shouldnt be a problem unless its been stupidly streched if the correct size for alloy it should be all good what wheels are they? as for bolts there are plenty on egay just dont by the stupidly cheap ones and if unsure ask seller
The wheels are League Alchemist her is a link of the same wheels I have just got only difference is mine are 17 inch the ones on the link on ebay are 18 inch http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-LEAGUE-A...item2a3030111e here is a link also of the bolts I have found on ebay I need to know if these are going to fit and if they are the correct thread size for these alloys and correct wheel nuts as these are tuner wheel nuts which it says are for use with aftermarket wheels that have smaller diameter wheel nut recesses http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Tune...item19ddc305f9
Old 17-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Platinum Member

Enter all the details of each set hereWill They Fit

Will let you know all the % differences and speedo discrepancy.....

Think the nuts are ok size wise but how good quality they are?
Old 17-08-2013, 09:47 PM
Silver Member

I had this type of nut on my classic they were fine but found being open ended it did corrode the studs i have the tpi style ones myself but its all about what you can afford at the end of the day and as long as they do the job its all good!
Old 17-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Silver Member

The wheels are prob 7.5 j if it were me id keep on the look out for some 18x8.5 j as the 7.5j dont fill the arches unless you get a stupidly low offset,
Old 17-08-2013, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepieman View Post
Enter all the details of each set hereWill They Fit

Will let you know all the % differences and speedo discrepancy.....

Think the nuts are ok size wise but how good quality they are?
I have tried this but don't fully understand it or how to fill the box's in correctly I am unsure on the nuts but do know they are very important from a safety aspect so an expert opinion would be very much obliged
Old 17-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Platinum Member

just change the boxes to suit the current wheels (existing) and the new wheels (new) then hit submit.....

pic will show how they will sit on the hub, box underneathwill tell you all the differences.......

you just need to know the widths and offsets for all the info
Old 17-08-2013, 10:02 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
The wheels are prob 7.5 j if it were me id keep on the look out for some 18x8.5 j as the 7.5j dont fill the arches unless you get a stupidly low offset,
The wheels offered to me are in mint condition with tires for £150 from a friend looking at the 18inch set on ebay they start the bidding at £375 so do you think they are good value for money?
Old 17-08-2013, 10:04 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
just change the boxes to suit the current wheels (existing) and the new wheels (new) then hit submit.....

pic will show how they will sit on the hub, box underneathwill tell you all the differences.......

you just need to know the widths and offsets for all the info
How do I find out the widths and offsets?
Old 17-08-2013, 10:13 PM
Platinum Member

should be on the wheel somewhere but from a quick google the wheels are probably only 7" being 17's....... should you also not be running 225's

so the difference should be done with the standard sizing 225 / 45 / 17, 205's maybe a bit narrow?
Old 17-08-2013, 10:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
should be on the wheel somewhere but from a quick google the wheels are probably only 7" being 17's....... should you also not be running 225's

so the difference should be done with the standard sizing 225 / 45 / 17, 205's maybe a bit narrow?
car seems to have run ok on 215's I thought that 205's would be ok with no issues?
Old 17-08-2013, 11:59 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

The standard 7" wide wrx alloys will take a 205 or 215 tyre fine, so if the new wheels are also 7" wide then i'd say it'll be fine.

225 is generally 7.5" or 8" wide alloys.
Old 18-08-2013, 03:14 AM
Bronze Member

Will these alloys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-LEAGUE-A...item2a3030111e look ok with these locking wheel nuts http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-R-Neo-...item4abef1eba3 also will they fit correctly and is every wheel bolt a lock in bolt?
Old 18-08-2013, 01:20 PM
Bronze Member

Exclamation Alloys but no bolts

Will these alloys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-LEAGUE-A...item2a3030111e look ok with these locking wheel nuts also will they fit correctly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-R-Neo-...item4abef1eba3, these appear to be the locking wheel nuts but I can not see how they would be used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-R-Neo-...item4abef1db49

Last edited by Martin H; 18-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 18-08-2013, 01:44 PM
Silver Member

The hubs have studs as long as the nut seat have a 60 degree taper you should be fine,
Old 18-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Platinum Member

Wheels should fit ok
Old 18-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
Wheels should fit ok
Do you think the wheel nuts and the locking wheel nuts will be ok? I have sent the seller a message asking if both of the nut seats have a 60 degree taper.
Old 19-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin H View Post
Will these alloys http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-LEAGUE-A...item2a3030111e look ok with these locking wheel nuts also will they fit correctly http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-R-Neo-...item4abef1eba3, these appear to be the locking wheel nuts but I can not see how they would be used http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JDM-R-Neo-...item4abef1db49
Hi Martin,

I've merged the two threads on this topic together and moved them to the wheels/tyres section

The wheel nuts are Subaru fitment (M12x1.25) so should be fine. I wouldn't bother with the separate locking nuts personally as the main nuts have 7 sides rather than 6 so can't be undone without the included key.

In terms of the alloys, I have you trial fitted them to check offset/clearance etc? Are the nut holes wide enough to allow space to get the key in to undo them? Some alloys have narrow holes and require 'tuner' nuts which are undone using a tool to grip the inside:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Tune...item19ddc305f9
Old 19-08-2013, 02:25 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Hi Martin,

I've merged the two threads on this topic together and moved them to the wheels/tyres section

The wheel nuts are Subaru fitment (M12x1.25) so should be fine. I wouldn't bother with the separate locking nuts personally as the main nuts have 7 sides rather than 6 so can't be undone without the included key.

In terms of the alloys, I have you trial fitted them to check offset/clearance etc? Are the nut holes wide enough to allow space to get the key in to undo them? Some alloys have narrow holes and require 'tuner' nuts which are undone using a tool to grip the inside:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Tune...item19ddc305f9
OK I will order the set of 20 main nuts then as like you say they are locking nuts anyway so would not need the separate locking nuts I have not tried the alloy's they are 17" and 7" wide so the same as standard wrx alloy's so i guess they should be fine? How would I check if the nuts holes are wide enough to allow space to get the key in to undo them without ordering the 20 piece set you looked at for me?
Old 08-12-2013, 05:05 PM
Bronze Member

Exclamation Advice needed, wheel spacer size?

Hiya guys, have just trial fitted the wheels on the car, I know I will need new wheel bolts as previously stated in this thread. However when I offered the wheels up to the car today there was very little gap between the wheel and brake caliper. Maybe 2mm gap between the both. I think I will need spacers for these wheels, do you guys know what size spacer I would need or recommend going for?

Also here is a link to the wheel bolts I'm thinking of getting, would these be suitable for my car?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3008154410...84.m1423.l2649

Wheels are League Alchemist with tire size of 205/45ZR17.

Thanks in advance.

Martin
Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 PM
Silver Member

Grab a 3mm just to be on the safe side but if its cleared the caliper with no scrubbing i cant see why it wont be ok??
Old 08-12-2013, 08:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Grab a 3mm just to be on the safe side but if its cleared the caliper with no scrubbing i cant see why it wont be ok??
Would it be better to go for 5mm to be on the safe side or would this push the wheels out too far from the arches?

Also would the wheels bolts I'm thinking of buying be OK for the car? The standard wheel bolts were too much of a tight fit for the new wheels, I couldn't get a wheel brace in there to tighten the wheel.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:29 PM
Silver Member

Not sure mate if you go too bigger spacer you may have to get extended studs? tbh it would look alot better with a more flush fit and as for the bolts best thing to do is speak to the supplyer but most aftermarket wheels take a 60 degree taper, when your putting the wheels on you will know if the nuts are right or wrong! Do them up by hand dont buzz them on get a torque wrench i think the setting you want is 90nm if unsure take them to a garage it wil cost about £2 a corner
Old 08-12-2013, 11:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Not sure mate if you go too bigger spacer you may have to get extended studs? tbh it would look alot better with a more flush fit and as for the bolts best thing to do is speak to the supplyer but most aftermarket wheels take a 60 degree taper, when your putting the wheels on you will know if the nuts are right or wrong! Do them up by hand dont buzz them on get a torque wrench i think the setting you want is 90nm if unsure take them to a garage it wil cost about £2 a corner
Thank you so much for you advice & expertise fella, I will go for 3mm spacers then if you feel they would be big enough? I have emailed the supplier asking them if these wheel bolts have a 60 degree taper nut seat on them I am currently awaiting their reply if they do turn out to have a 60 degree taper on them then these should be fine for my new alloy's I guess?