South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 28-06-2011, 09:12 AM
Gold Member

Default Another Higgins cracks a record in a Scoob

Must be a family rivalry going on as, after Mark Higgins cracked the TT record in a Scoob earlier this month, David Higgins has now cracked (or rather smashed) the original course record and Pastrana's recent time on the Mount Washington Hillclimb.

Pastrana set a new record on the course last year (of 6:21), Higgins has broken that by a further 10 seconds - so the record now stands at 6:11 - with Higgins time over 30 seconds faster than the previous record set before a Subaru set a wheel on the hill.

Despite the split jury on the styling of the hatch, it does seem to make a very potent rally car.

I wonder if Pastrana will come back for another stab at it? Hopefully some video of the Higgins runs will follow.
Old 28-06-2011, 11:37 AM
worzel

You do unearth some gems mate

Looking forward to that video
Old 28-06-2011, 11:55 AM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Using a Nige buzz word - Not bad at all for an UGLY.!
Old 29-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Despite the split jury on the styling of the hatch, it does seem to make a very potent rally car.
I agree, it just seems to have taken a while. Such a shame it didn't work for Prodrive and the WRC team.....

But that scoob looks stunning
Old 30-06-2011, 09:27 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I agree, it just seems to have taken a while. Such a shame it didn't work for Prodrive and the WRC team.....

But that scoob looks stunning
Yeah, very true. Given that the S14 WRC has had some success in the hands of privateers I do wonder if it would have ever made an impact on the WRC, guess we'll never know now!

I was just thinking last night, despite many Subaru owners proclaiming the hawkeye to be the last of the "proper" Imprezas, I think the hatchback shape must have had as much, if not more, success as a rally car as the hawkeye now?
Old 30-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Quote:
I was just thinking last night, despite many Subaru owners proclaiming the hawkeye to be the last of the "proper" Imprezas, I think the hatchback shape must have had as much, if not more, success as a rally car as the hawkeye now?
I would say the hatch has had quite a bit more success than the hawkeye now. But imo the hawk in the rallying world wasn't a new car, it was just a facelift of the blobeye which was already starting to struggle by 2005/6 when the hawk was introduced (mainly due to other competitors developing faster!)

Maybe it takes a few years for complete new models to peak? Newages introduced in 2000, 3 years later Petter won the title. Hatches introduced in 2008, and we're now 3 years later
Old 30-06-2011, 11:18 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I would say the hatch has had quite a bit more success than the hawkeye now. But imo the hawk in the rallying world wasn't a new car, it was just a facelift of the blobeye which was already starting to struggle by 2005/6 when the hawk was introduced (mainly due to other competitors developing faster!)

Maybe it takes a few years for complete new models to peak? Newages introduced in 2000, 3 years later Petter won the title. Hatches introduced in 2008, and we're now 3 years later
Yeah, I guess all new cars take time to get to grips with, especially if its a completely new chassis to get used to; though Burns won the WRC in 2001 in a Bug, didn't he?

I'm not sure on the specifics, but haven't there been limitations placed on testing time in the WRC in recent years? I'm sure allowed testing time was cited as an issue for SWRT when they were running the hawkeye and hatchback Imprezas?
Old 30-06-2011, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I guess all new cars take time to get to grips with, especially if its a completely new chassis to get used to; though Burns won the WRC in 2001 in a Bug, didn't he?
He did indeed. Early morning posting = fail.

Maybe i was just trying to find some excuse for Subaru being poo in the WRC
Old 23-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
Using a Nige buzz word - Not bad at all for an FUGLY.!

Fixed
Old 10-08-2011, 04:55 PM
Gold Member

Bit of a thread bump, but I just saw that the (rather belated) video for this record attempt is now up:

Old 10-08-2011, 05:02 PM
Platinum Member

Nice vid, and i dont care what people say that hatch looks awsome!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:16 PM
Bronze Member

Nice one
Old 10-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Platinum Member

Excellent! Good to see rally mechanics in Subaru uniforms!!

Old 10-08-2011, 11:32 PM

excellent vid, cheers for posting that up

and yes, that hatch looks awesome