South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > Wheels,Tyres & Brakes

Old 15-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Gold Member

Default What pads??

Its nearly time for some new front pads... Was wondering what people reccomend and where from... As culverwells wanted £217 for a set... Im not tight but im shore theres some cheaper better ones out there!!!they've got to fit my wr1 and preferably be a set that doesn't produce obseen amounts of dust(like the current ones!) ta
Old 15-06-2011, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

EBC Bluestuff NDX are not dusty,but if you are contact here Alyn@AS Performance for good price/deal i would recommend Performance Friction Pads.

here is few links

Performance Fiction

http://asptrading.co.uk/acatalog/Per...ications_.html

EBC Blustuff NDX

http://www.superhids.co.uk/new-ebc-b...stuff-ndx.html

Jura
Old 15-06-2011, 05:20 PM
Platinum Member

DS2500's or DS3000's for more severe braking or Performance Friction 01's
Old 15-06-2011, 05:30 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

I am currently running Performance Friction.

from AS Performance.

I have found they are very good speak to Alyn for advice (top bloke).

If you have to change the discs at any stage I also have PF discs.

and thoroughly recommend them.
Old 15-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
I am currently running Performance Friction.

from AS Performance.

I have found they are very good speak to Alyn for advice (top bloke).

If you have to change the discs at any stage I also have PF discs.

and thoroughly recommend them.
Yup, Performance Friction for me as well. Recommended by Alyn and so far I am very impressed with them.
Old 15-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Gold Member

Nice one peeps!
Old 15-06-2011, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
Nice one peeps!
You are more than welcome to come and try mine to see how the PFs perform.
Old 15-06-2011, 07:14 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

I'd go with PF for fast road use and occasional light track, after that I'd go Ferodo DS2500 then the 3000s as you get progressively more into track work.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 15-06-2011, 07:36 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
You are more than welcome to come and try mine to see how the PFs perform.
Nice one Ian!! May take you up on that... Have to be a cloud free sky first thou!!
Old 15-06-2011, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munk View Post
Nice one Ian!! May take you up on that... Have to be a cloud free sky first thou!!

The WR1 is very dirty at the mo,

so anytime you want to pop over.

I am going to try and get to the meeting on Saturday evening.

I am double booked at the moment Ive got to be in Oxford for a first communion ceremony earlier on in the day.
Old 16-06-2011, 09:20 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
The WR1 is very dirty at the mo,

so anytime you want to pop over.

I am going to try and get to the meeting on Saturday evening.

I am double booked at the moment Ive got to be in Oxford for a first communion ceremony earlier on in the day.

Well as long as you leave Oxford by 6.00, you should be fine for 6.30.
Old 16-06-2011, 11:52 AM
Regular User

Have used all sorts of pads and supply all but Carbotech. EBC Bluestuff NDX sit on our car as they are the best all round pads that we've ever tried.

PF Z compound are also pretty good and a fair bit cheaper (£99 vs £154), but don't have the wide temp range of the NDX. PF pads also have a habit of eating discs if not used hard enough on a regular basis.

For normal to fast road use our kevlar compound pads are a very popular option at just £59.99 delivered.

Bluestuff NDX get my vote, but can supply either. Some great deals on disc + pad packages also

Tel: 01462 600 241
  • SuperHIDs
  • KS3/KS4/Pro Knock Analysers
Call us on 01462 600241 or email aztecperformance@gmail.com

Secure online webstore:www.AztecPerformance.co.uk
Old 16-06-2011, 12:44 PM
thepieman

Performance Friction would be my choice They work so well on Worzel's and 'E' has been very impressed on his WR1 too

Well worth a call to Alyn at ASPerformance

best is to give him a call in the office 0191-4103770 or drop him a mail at info@asperformance.com
Old 16-06-2011, 02:20 PM
Gold Member

Performance friction then Im thinking looks like they have alot of recommendations!!
Old 16-06-2011, 02:40 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

I have EBC Blue's and have found them to be excellent. Cold bite is phenominal and then they just get better.
Old 16-06-2011, 06:11 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I have EBC Blue's and have found them to be excellent. Cold bite is phenominal and then they just get better.
Need to work them harder Steve, i've cooked 2 sets

Old 17-06-2011, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post

Seems to be an issue with WRX setup rather than Brembo thought doesnt it?. Cant believe you did the second set aswell
Old 17-06-2011, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Seems to be an issue with WRX setup rather than Brembo thought doesnt it?. Cant believe you did the second set aswell
Yeah you are correct, it does seem to be a wrx issue. But i'm sure i'd have a go at cooking a set with brembos if i had them

I'm surprised the second set started to melt on the Ring too. Oh well, its good fun whilst they last
Old 17-06-2011, 02:25 PM
Bronze Member

I've got Cosworth Streetmaster pads on mine.. Have to say after using EBC Yellowstuff I much prefer the Cosworths.
Old 17-06-2011, 02:35 PM
worzel

Quote:
Well as long as you leave Oxford by 6.00, you should be fine for 6.30.
And thats stopping for fuel too
Old 17-06-2011, 02:41 PM
worzel

Quote:
Quote:

Like Steve (PPP) said mate, you need to try harder, I cooked mine on the first lap this year, hence the reason I only did some cruises round there after the Thursday session Although in their defence they were half worn

I am torn between the Perferman Friction and the Ferrado for my next change. I have got PF's on the rear at the moment and they are what they are ( being rears I mean). I know that both will be good, so on a win win really, whichever ones I get
Old 17-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Mmmmm.... It looks like I am a bit of a wimp as I am the only one not to mash these up yet or I guess you could just call me Jenson
Old 17-06-2011, 03:53 PM
worzel

Maybe we are just not as smooth as you mate

I was mullering the brakes at the ring on that first lap, after being caught out by the track opposed to the GT5 Track I was using in my head as a guide!

Plus, as I found out later, talking with Neil & Nige, I really should have bedded them in a bit first, as they were probably a little glazed, from everyday driving. They came up with a scenario for bedding the brakes in before a track session, which seemed to work quite nicely.

You also have to remember that if Steve drove the real ring like he drove the GT5 Ring, he never really used his brakes, he used my boot lid as a brake most of the time
Old 17-06-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Mmmmm.... It looks like I am a bit of a wimp as I am the only one not to mash these up yet or I guess you could just call me Jenson
Just need the opportunity to really push them, its not about being a wimp

Last year round the Ring (and doing the 20 min tasters at Brands) i survived on my old Mintex pads with no real worries. But it was the first time i'd been on track in the scoob, so i was being a wimp too!

This year at Brands and the Ring, i could push much much harder. Hence the problems with the brakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
You also have to remember that if Steve drove the real ring like he drove the GT5 Ring, he never really used his brakes, he used my boot lid as a brake most of the time
hey hey, don't go tarnishing me with the same brush as dirty Nige
Old 17-06-2011, 05:39 PM
worzel

Quote:

Just need the opportunity to really push them, its not about being a wimp

Last year round the Ring (and doing the 20 min tasters at Brands) i survived on my old Mintex pads with no real worries. But it was the first time i'd been on track in the scoob, so i was being a wimp too!

This year at Brands and the Ring, i could push much much harder. Hence the problems with the brakes

You have hit the nail on the head I think mate.

The first time out anywhere, you are hesitant and just feeling your way in. I'm happy to batter round Brands all day, as I have been there a few times so know my way around there fairly well. But the truth of the Ring is, this year was my first proper go on it in 3 years, so I was a little worried to be honest, when I cooked the brakes, that was me done. Just cruising and taking it easy after that. Next year I'll be up for pushing on much more. Just as Steve was this year!

Martyn went to the last Brands day that Mr PPP was at, he said that Steve drove the bloody wheels off of it, and looking at the Ring Vid he posted, he was pushing on down there too.

Old 17-06-2011, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
You have hit the nail on the head I think mate.

The first time out anywhere, you are hesitant and just feeling your way in. I'm happy to batter round Brands all day, as I have been there a few times so know my way around there fairly well. But the truth of the Ring is, this year was my first proper go on it in 3 years, so I was a little worried to be honest, when I cooked the brakes, that was me done. Just cruising and taking it easy after that. Next year I'll be up for pushing on much more. Just as Steve was this year!

Martyn went to the last Brands day that Mr PPP was at, he said that Steve drove the bloody wheels off of it, and looking at the Ring Vid he posted, he was pushing on down there too.

Yep, defo more laps next year. Last year was the first time and I was buzzing so much I didnt really care that i didnt do more laps, but next year i want a few laps as i need to unlap myself from StevePPP!!! Looking at it though, I may need another 100bhp or so!!
Old 17-06-2011, 06:20 PM
Platinum Member

I have found the 2500's okay for road use but when giving it some serious on track / MLR 30-130 etc they don't cope with hard braking between 150 - 180 mph.

I go through more 355mm / 28mm AP front discs that pads. I always keep a spare skimmed set as most events I warp them.

Must admit since I've done two cooling down laps it's been okay, but one slow in lap isn't enough.
The heat from the pads warp the disc when parked in the pits.