South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 19-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Default Induction Pipe Fitting

Not a mod I was intending to do, but due to the rubber turbo end of the standard pipe being in a bit of a mess. Which is now leaking after all the fun and games I had fitting the fuel rail adaptor. I had to get myself one of these :

And at £59.99 it appears to be a bargain.
Not sure what make it is as box was plain.

But unlike what I have read about the Autobahn items this is very strong, all Ally fittings are tight and looks as good as any Samco I have bought in the past. Samco item is £189.00

The fun of removing the inlet begins......

All apart, inlet off and had take absolutley everything off of the inlet to get the old pipe out (Loom, Injectors, Fuel Fails, Breathers etc...).

There is no way, even if I cut the old pipe out that the new one would go in without removing the manifold.

Will use the chance to clean it all up a bit and paint the inlet.

Couple of pics of the knackered hose :

Inlet all degreased, pressure washed, masked up and ready for painting.
Got the VHT Red Wrinkle paint from http://www.cbsonline.co.uk out at staplehurst.
Nice people and all sorts of odds and ends for tidying up the engine bay.

All Sprayed and now waiting to dry and also waiting for gaskets.

Nasty stuff that paint.... I have sprayed alot of stuff over the years but this stuff just hangs in the air and puts a layer of red on anything within 10 meters.
My garage floor now has a clean patch where newspaper was laid with a nice red boarder.

You really need to use a mask. I don't/didn't (ignoring the warning on the can) and this time I regretted it...looked like I was having a nose bleed.
Spent the rest of the morning a little high and coughing.

Inlet Freshly painted and in make shift oven, with fan heater keeping temps above 21 DegC

Drying off and de-masking

Piecing back together, now that the paint appears to be dry.
As you can see there is no way this induction pipe goes in without removing the inlet, loom and fuel rails.
One of the fuel rail brackets had to be cut and another trimed in order to get the induction hose in and the rails back on.
The Dump Valve return hose also had to be shortedned and is now quite a tight fit. But not too bothered as is only the DV return.

New gaskets will be required for Inlet and throttle housing.

Spent 2.5hours getting as far as I can.
Boy is it hard getting the inlet back on.
It's all very tight getting it in, the electrics connected (some of which need to be done prior to final positioning. And the larger induction pipe just makes it worse.

I had to cut 15mm off the turbo end of the new induction pipe. Otherwise the manifold just wasn't going to line up on it's mountings.

Very dodgey putting the bolts back in from manifold to heads too, as you have to jiggle it to finally line it up and there isn't much movewment.
The last thing you want to do is strip a thread in the ally head with the steel manifold bolts.

Manifold back on and the ancillaries have started to go back on.

Only 2 problems left.
1. The origional jubilee hose on the turbo is too small, so need to get another.
2. The MAF end of the new induction hose it too long. So it's either trim the induction hose, trim the standard hose beteen MAF and Induction 'OR' buy a Samco or ZeroSports induction pipe.

In the short term I trimmed the standard hose as it's never going to be mating up to a standard induction hard pipe again.

All done......
Just need to get a ZeroSports Intake to connect to MAF and to make a better job of it, as the standard one is now trimmed and barely holding on.

Got ZeroSpeed pipe from ScobyParts.com and unfortunately it didn't fit the induction hose.

It was too long and the neither the the ally pipe or the hose joiner could be made to match the induction hose.
So good old http://www.Scoobyparts.com took it back and in place sent out an SFS hose.
Fitted this morning after a bit more trimming of the induction hose and a 10mm trim off the SFS hose.

Now all done and alot more secure.

Last edited by Scott.T; 06-10-2009 at 02:24 PM.
Old 19-10-2008, 09:49 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Induction Pipe Fitting

Old 20-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Crowman

Well done scott
Great that you took the time to get pics and put all the details on here, makes really good reading.
Just being picky but could you not get the expansion tank powder coated to match the inlet?
Does look very nice though Scott.
Old 20-10-2008, 12:34 PM
worzel

Good job matey
Old 20-10-2008, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
Well done scott
Great that you took the time to get pics and put all the details on here, makes really good reading.
Just being picky but could you not get the expansion tank powder coated to match the inlet?
Does look very nice though Scott.
i'm not too happy with the Red powder coat. The finish isn't great as the guy didn't prep it that well. Plus the colour is v.orange on both the tank and strut brace mounts.

I am going to probably redo them with a dark red to match. But probably not until spring now.....
Old 10-04-2020, 02:47 PM

BTT for inspiration for Shane
Old 10-04-2020, 02:54 PM
Bronze Member

I managed to replace the original pipe with a silicone pipe without removing the manifold, just took some wiggling and pulling lol. Looks good thou
Old 10-04-2020, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member

I managed to cut mine up amd slide a group n samco hose back in but this is breather less so much easier,
Taking the inlet off is the best way and gives you chance to look at other bits, oem intake is around £80
Old 10-04-2020, 06:02 PM
Platinum Member

I don't need to replace the pipe, just contemplating spraying up a spare inlet manifold that's sitting in the garage doing nothing.
Old 26-04-2020, 07:03 PM
Platinum Member

Well what a tedious job that was, best order some paint and gaskets now.

Old 26-04-2020, 07:48 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Well what a tedious job that was, best order some paint and gaskets now.

You going crinkle red on it.
Old 26-04-2020, 08:04 PM
Platinum Member

At some point, may be like a lot of my jobs and never get done.