South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 15-01-2010, 04:03 PM
Bronze Member

Angry Check engine light, erratic and rough idle... tempramentally???

Just went to put petrol in the car, she was very low so maybe this could be something to do with it?

When i pulled in to the petrol station check engine light came on and started idling funny, too high and unsteady also rough as well. Put petrol in, started it... absoloutely fine for 10 seconds then same thing. Nursed it home and just as i pulled into the driveway it went off and idled fine. Could the fuel filter have got a bit blocked up causing this?

How worried should i be?

Any help much appreciated, pretty f****d off coz just put a new turbo, tyres and ordered a load of oil!

Dave

ps. with the new turbo going on its been running full boost (1.1 bar) now and im rather worried that ive damaged something

Last edited by gtiteen; 15-01-2010 at 04:07 PM.
Old 16-01-2010, 09:04 AM
SES Mercedes Division

I have heard at lot of scoobs running rough when very low on petrol

Hope its only something small
Old 16-01-2010, 10:07 AM
Platinum Member

Sounds like petrol mate, my blue scoob did it when petrol was low but the engine light never came on though, after that i tried to not let it get below half a tank and it was fine
Old 16-01-2010, 12:04 PM
Bronze Member

i had this with my sti2 after a bonnet change.Originaly i had the same bonnet as you but with a mini scoop over my apexi cone filter.I then fitted a carbon facelift bonnet with no scoop and my engine check light kept coming on.

Remember when your stationary the temp of the air under the bonnet increases as there is no cold air being blown in from outside like when your on the move.

I cured it by removing the cover off the bottom of the right vent on the bonnet.
Easy way to find out if the filter is being starved of cool air and thats to wait for the check light to come on then go remove the right vent and drive with it out and see if it cures the prob.

Last edited by Bull; 16-01-2010 at 12:15 PM.
Old 16-01-2010, 01:04 PM
Bronze Member

It's odd though coz its not done it before in the 2 years i owned it. Im thinking its something to do with the fuel as it hasnt done it again yet, but I only done about 3 miles in it. Will pull the codes off today if theyre still there and see what those say. Not to keen on taking that cover off under the vent whilst its so wet coz dont want water getting all over the maf.

cheers guys, will see how she goes over the next few days otherwise ill be getting the cheque book out.... again lol

Dave
Old 17-01-2010, 01:40 PM
SES Mercedes Division

Keep us posted & let us know what the codes are