South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 22-08-2011, 08:58 PM
Platinum Member

Thank you gents,

Paul ...... quoted " I have seen your name around on other forums."

I do hope the forums where linked to Subaru and not the Spunkymonkey or similar

We document all dealings with my engine as we heard that someone on Facebook mentioned something that suggested an engine failure. That in turn will get changed to something else and so on, so we tell everything as it is.
Although a refresh had been mentioned when I reached 40K miles I'm really pissed off as the engine was running better than it ever had.

Yep, Sitting in The Gobstopper was something else. Olly Clark phoned me the other night to tell me that he will take me out in the GS when its in full race mode to show me the difference.
Last weekend the GS was limited to 8200 rpm. In race mode its about 10,400 and a 100 shot of NOS gives the car another 190 bhp . Cant wait

Good to see someone else on 20% Meths. I've done my bit with Meths driving over 20,000 on it but when I collect the P1 it will be producing up near 600 without Meths and that's how I will be running it, with no Meths.

Blueeye

Yep, it done me proud that engine mate. We are talking as if it's blown to bits LOL.
RCM's engines are just plain sick. You can abuse the thing all day long and nothing breaks. MC told me that my engine could take 10.000 rpm all day long so I've never been worried about it, and that's one thing you pay for with an RCM and probably worth more than the build itself.
Old 23-08-2011, 07:11 AM
Regular User

Yes I have to agree with you Clive , you get what you pay for , at present I feel a bit apprehensive about nailing the car on every drive. It will take a time to be happy that it will stay together for a while? You understand being that my engine is the weak 2.5 lit block.
If my engine had not siezed at Litchfields , while he was driving it. I would have at least contacted RCM.
I would have been very interested to see what they would have advised? For the rebuild , and turbo options.

Off for a power run soon to see what it is running before the engine is checked over, .so I have a ball park figure to work with when I get the remap, and tweaks.

Regarding , you comments about the lack of RCm posts, I have noticed that many tuners and alike do not post on forums , however, after chatting to Iain , it becomes clear that many tuners do contact or chat with oneanother?
Old 23-08-2011, 09:28 AM
Platinum Member

I ran meths in my RA for 15k and never had any probs, it only had a meth map and that was it... Only thing is with me is i never left much in the tank, because of seperation i emptied the tank after use
Old 23-08-2011, 10:02 AM
thepieman

Such a shame as the car was running or appeared to be running so well not too long before this Clive Thanks again for the run

I'm sure your in the right hands with RCM and i'm sure it'll be back up and running and appreciated by the masses as soon as you've all sat down and decided where your going with it next

Think we all know the quality of RCM, most people knowledge and opinions coming from seeing builds such as yours can't wait to get mine up to them and no, this hasn't put me off in any shape or form........

Hope your run of bad luck turns itself round soon mate, top bloke and all that

PS.
Do you really think it was Crowman driving it like miss daisy that caused the issue

(lurve you Crowman)
Old 23-08-2011, 10:51 AM
Platinum Member

Shame about your engine Paul. Was it built at Litchfields ?

RCM would advise you and maybe strip an engine down however they will never rebuild an engine that they haven't built. The ONLY engines they build / rebuild are their own.
Old 23-08-2011, 10:00 PM
Regular User

The engine was the original Cosworth engine that came as the complete T25 package.
I am sur eyou have seen and read much about the T25s over the years. I had issues with boosting, so while Iain was taking it for a test run and at low revs. The engine made some noises and siezed.
On strip down a valve had let go ,head damage, pistion holed.
Once stripped the blocks bores were oval , and a linner was splitting.
So with Iains contacts , he used a local enginge rebuilder [ who I do not know] Who has fitted massive linners , making it it look like CDB.
Reused forged crank and rods, Mahel pistons, Cosworth uprated pump. etc.
14m/m head bolts.
Iain would like to have the car returned so they can strip the engine to see who things are settling in. I belive this is a trial engine for his next T25? So the engine strip down is going to be free. and any issues sorted at the same cost.

Whilst out I will have a new clutch/ flywheel/ billet turbo wheel/ and anything else that may need sorting.
Thanks for the thoughts of RCM, I would not expect them to rebuild an engine that they have not rebuilt and that should be the same for most other companies.
If I had the money and thought I would keep the car I would certainly think of poping over to them .
Old 25-09-2011, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Any update Clive? I take it the car is with RCM....any idea of when you get the beasty back?
Old 25-09-2011, 10:38 AM
Platinum Member

RCM are stripping it next week mate.

We shall then find out the extent of damage.