South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 26-06-2014, 05:43 PM
Regular User

Default Service book lost

Hello,Would just like some peoples thoughts on this,
i have found a subaru impreza wrx ppp low millage 56,000 on a 03 plate for a very good price but has no service book the guy has traced the garage down that serviced it and got some duplicate receipts for belts and servicing ect but no service book and subaru don't hold records.
Would you take a chance or walk away, im just thinking of issues if i ever sell the car.
Old 26-06-2014, 07:27 PM
Bronze Member

You HAVE to be wary tbh and for sure when you sell it on prospective buyers will be also wary or sceptical of the low mileage without proof

Have you seen the car yourself ? It ought to be possible by judging overall wear on steering wheel,carpets etc etc as well as overall condition if the mileage is genuineish

I looked at one with similer mileage but book lost shortly before i bought mine - looked nice in fotos but when i got there not so nice in fact downright horrible ,, despite vendors claim he bought it from a garage with warranted mileage and service book lost it was so obvious something wasnt right i did a quick free check on the mot site and sure enough it had been clocked ,,, Twice believe it or not ,, once when it had its second mot then again for its last one ,,, i dread to think what the true mileage of that car was and the vendor and his buddies didnt seem at all shocked when shown proof on my ipad ,, so its very much buyer beware

On the flip side if youve found a genuine peach of a car that the book is lost on and if its really gorgeous i would still buy it ,, albeit with a very hard haggle as surely when its time to sell people will devalue it and be wary for want of the service book

So you might get a nice car a bit cheap or you could get stung by one of the many dick turpin style scooby sellers ( and i met a few wrong uns while looking for my car )

Lots of ways to check stuff thesedays though ,, iirc to check mileage on mot vosa site you need current mot cert no and vin ,, its free

2005 wrx300 2.0 with ppp - SOLD june 2015

daily driver - new astra 136 elite nav - GONE THANK GOD

DAILY DRIVER 2019 - BMW 220d xdrive active sport

fun - v6 shogun swb - FOR SALE @ April 2019 - £2000
Old 26-06-2014, 07:29 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

You could speak to the garage to check they know the car. Get the car inspected if you are unsure and the past mot's should back the mileage up..

Alternatively just look for another one as there are a few about.
Old 27-06-2014, 05:49 PM
Regular User

Thanks guys for your help,I have decided to give this one a miss as on inspection it looks like the car has had two new front wings.
so the search goes on.
Old 27-06-2014, 06:14 PM
Bronze Member

Are you looking for a wrx ?

Old 28-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Are you looking for a wrx ?
Yes just spent 8 hrs traveling to Blackburn to look at a mint show room condiction wrx only to find it with wings bumper and bonnet all out of line.
Then had to pay for another two tickets to get home.
Not very happy to day.Lol
Have you a straight car for sale.

Last edited by The Guvnor; 28-06-2014 at 10:00 PM. Reason: bad spelling
Old 28-06-2014, 09:47 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Guvnor View Post
Yes just spent 8 hrs traveling to Blackburn to look at a mint show room condiction wrx only to find it with wings number and bonnet all out of line.
Then had to pay for another two tickets to get home.
Not very happy to day.Lol
Have you a straight car for sale.
ha sorry to hear that - I had a few days like that myself but I guess to find a prince of a car you have to kiss a few frogs

I might know of a wrx ,, it was one I wanted when I was looking but the guy was still using it and I couldn't wait ,, kinda wish I did

its high miles -- iirc 120k but the engine was rebuilt to 300bhp by a very reputable company about 20k ago and its maintained with no expense spared ie oils done every 3k miles as the guy spent about £4000 on the engine I guess he looks after it - if the mileage doesn't scare you let me know and ill see if he still has it ,, it was near bushy roughly

it is black with gold fleck - full decat system but oem cat one thrown in on deal and a lovely set of 18s he found too unforgiving so took them off when the tyres started getting near legal limit - literally the most gorgeous wrx ive ever seen ,, have a pic somewhere ill try and find it and edit it on ,,, think he wanted £3500 for it

Old 28-06-2014, 09:50 PM
Bronze Member

[IMG][/IMG]

Old 28-06-2014, 09:59 PM
Regular User

Default wrx

Have sent you PM.
Old 28-06-2014, 10:11 PM
Bronze Member

yup just replied - the other thing about the one above is that I didn't want to look at cars with freshly rebuilt engines as obviously things can go pop in a hurry if somethings not right ,, but this one had a good bit of use on new engine so fairly safe to say its a well built one ,, well that's my logic anyway