South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 14-12-2011, 10:55 AM
Platinum Member

Default Anyone owned a Rx7?

Does anyone know much about the Rx7?? or a R32/33 GTR?

Benji
Old 14-12-2011, 11:21 AM
Bronze Member

Had a R32 GTR for two years mate, supidly expensive to buy parts for, you will need deeeeeeeeeeeep pockets to run and maintain one properly. You also need the right road to enjoy it properly, i prefer my bug sti.
Old 14-12-2011, 01:24 PM
Platinum Member

Have you won the lottery... A mate spent 11 grand on engine builds in one year on an RX7 and a standardish build on a GTR is 6k ish
Old 14-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Gold Member

id love an old RX7, rob on here had a very nice one a few years back stunning!
Old 14-12-2011, 02:16 PM
Platinum Member

Doesn't surprise me Robs had one. Do the Rx'7s have weak engines?
The Gtr reading around on the net is there are strong and take reasonable power level if you wish to take that route which i am not looking for.
Old 14-12-2011, 03:50 PM
Bronze Member

AndyWRX had a rex but sold it for a scoob! See what he says about them.

I have heard that the standard internals of a R32 can take 500bhp but its gna be expesnive still.
Old 14-12-2011, 04:01 PM
Silver Member

A friend of mine had one about 2 years ago, he had the intention of modding it but spent most of his money on getting things repaired on it as it kept going wrong under the bonnet, he said parts were either hard to get or very expensive.... guess it depends on whether the car has been looked after previously or not!
Old 14-12-2011, 05:38 PM
Bronze Member

I just love the sound of them! Sorry this doesnt really help lol
Old 15-12-2011, 12:09 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie :) View Post
AndyWRX had a rex but sold it for a scoob! See what he says about them.
hehe saw this thread and got all excited lol

Yup i had an RX-7 fd3s type r and loved every second of it!!! its a great car and definatly one of the best cars to drift, Hopfully ill be getting another one myself next year once the winters out the way.

But there are some major draw backs

Youll have to have an engine rebuild at some point, its not a case of if, its certinaly a case of when, a decent standard rebuild kit on its own starts off at £3k+ then obviously theres labour if your not doing it your self.

If it over heats then youll need a rebuild or probably in very near miles, the temp guages are crap and as soon as they start to move above half and the buzzer comes on its all ready too late.

Youll need to have a friendly mot tester even if its standard running cats and standard box etc as the run on the limit with emmissions.

The rats nest will probably cause some headaches at some point

And if frozen outside chances are youll probably have trouble getting into it as the locks freeze even with central locking lol

Apart from that there great cars and i cant wait to get another one!!! if you are planning on getting one try to make sure its been compression tested and make sure you get proof, i wouldnt touch a rex that atleast hasnt got above 5.9 on all 3 compression strokes on both rotors, the rear rotor will have slightly less than the front as it runs hotter and most of the time when you come to do a rebuild its the rear tips that have faild.

You can buy some great dvd rebuild guids though if you fancy a diy job.

If your not put off by any of that go for it!!!, you wont be dissapointed with it at all when it works lol
Old 15-12-2011, 12:12 PM
Platinum Member

Oh forgot to add dont get a rx-7 if you want reliability, i know that sounds abit two faced of me but its the truth really, i love the rx-7's but none of them are reliable, even the rx8's are having the same issues now
Old 16-12-2011, 10:43 AM
Platinum Member

thnaks for that great advice andy,
im not going to take that chance. so il think ill stay looking at the Gtr's then
Old 18-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member

Gtr is easier to get power out of and can take it more too, my other half had a r33 gtst and it was great to drive
Old 18-12-2011, 10:23 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I know it's hard to believe but RobEvo5 has had one.........rather well tuned too.
Old 18-12-2011, 12:10 PM
Platinum Member

i do like them alot but dont want another R5 gtt type car again, great fun go like stink but break every 5 mins,

seen this Rx7 love the look and had rebuild but..
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3208138436...84.m1423.l2648
Old 19-12-2011, 08:07 PM
Platinum Member

Does look like a very nice rex, sounds abit too good to be true to be honest, wonder why its only running 285bhp with all the bits done to it?