South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 08-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Crowman

Default Classic downpipe question

I have a new age RCM downpipe, which i know will fit my classic, question is, is it any longer or shorter than a classic one.
Reason for question is, i want to order the centre section from RCM and want to know if i should order a classic fitment or new age, or is their no diference, apart from hanger position

Hope this makes sense
Old 08-10-2011, 04:51 PM
Platinum Member

I thought RCM make them all the same size
Old 08-10-2011, 08:51 PM
Authorised Trader

UK new-age fitment is longer with a shorter centre, classic is obviously the opposite..........

not sure if RCM do anything different

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 08-10-2011, 09:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Newage 2.0 DP section is shorter then classic on an OE pipe as the Newage DP ends just passed the bend. It then has another section Front pipe/cat that then joins the centre section.

This gives an overall length DP & FP that is slightly longer then the Classic DP

Due to this the Newage Centre Section is slightly shorter then the Classic Centre.

To confuse things more the 2.5 DP section is slightly shorter then the 2.0 DP (it finishes on the bottom bend rather then passed the bend) , but the 2.5 and 2.0 Newage are the same length when combined with their respective FP/Cat,therefore able to use the same centre section.

With regard to your pipe, it depends if it is the DP or a single pipe to replace the DP and FP. As an example the MillTek Newage Decat DP replaces both DP and FP, but the ScoobyWorld Afterburner Vortex replaces just the DP. They then sell a seperate FP/Cat replacement pipe.

If your DP has a Lambda boss in the lower horizontal section it sounds like it is a combined DP & FP. If that is the case. To marry this up to a Classic rear box you will need a Newage Centre pipe.

With regard to Lambda, you may need to get a new boss welded in to the top of the DP for your Classic Lambda fitment and a bung for the lower position on the Newage pipe.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:13 PM
Crowman

Guys thanks very much

Scott, top man,. thanks for taking time to explain.
Im going to take a look tomorrow.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:30 PM

Newage DP/FP Replacement

Newage DP Only Replacement
This connects to the FP/Front Cat
Old 08-10-2011, 09:37 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Following on from the same question:

The answer is probably in the above somewhere, but my question is will a classic decat downpipe and centre section fit straight onto a 2.5 Hawk?, and be able to use hangers.?.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobEvo5 View Post
Following on from the same question:

The answer is probably in the above somewhere, but my question is will a classic decat downpipe and centre section fit straight onto a 2.5 Hawk?, and be able to use hangers.?.
Yes but you will need a Lambda Boss welding into the bottom of the DP for the 2nd Lambda probe and a bung for the top boss.
I may have a boss/bung kicking about, and Steve Cole does a good job for a case of Becks

You can re-route the cable but it's a bit of a PITA as it's well loomed up. The probe will also last longer the further it is from the heat source.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:51 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Yes but you will need a Lambda Boss welding into the bottom of the DP for the 2nd Lambda probe and a bung for the top boss.
I may have a boss/bung kicking about, and Steve Cole does a good job for a case of Becks

You can re-route the cable but it's a bit of a PITA as it's well loomed up. The probe will also last longer the further it is from the heat source.
Cool - I have a downpipe and a resonated decat centre, and TSL rear box. So boss/bung and a little welding has to be the most cost effective way of getting a full decat on mine.. If you have boss/bung would be great, if not if you could PM us where I might get one. cheers
Old 08-10-2011, 09:59 PM

Will have a look in garage in the monring.
I have bought a few inovate wideband setups over the years and I think there's one in each box.

If you want we can lay my old setup next to your classic setup and mark where the lambda prob needs to go.
There is a crossmember underneath and i wouldn't want you to get the bung welded only to find the probe won't go in becasue it fowls the cross member.
Old 22-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Crowman

Scott
This is the down pipe I have , am I right in saying I need a classic centre section and back box or is it new age centre and classic back box.
Cheers mate
Old 23-10-2011, 02:29 PM

Are you sure it's a Newage pipe, the final straight bit looks shorter then the MillTek shown above.
Which may mean it was originally a Classic pipe, modded to fit the 2nd lambda probe and then fitted to a Newage with a Classic Centre section to match.

We have just fitted a decat to Rob's Hawk, using a Classic downpipe and centre and had to mount the lambda probe in a very similar position to yours i.e close to the flange, rather then 6-8 inchs from the flange as per the MillTek.

Have you got an old classic downpipe kicking around you can line it up with ??
Old 23-10-2011, 05:44 PM
Crowman

Cheers for reply . I believe it was new age. Will have to ask James. Not got old classic do laying around