South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > Other Events

Other Events Other Regional Events, National Events, Track Days, Tunnel Runs Etc Etc

Old 30-12-2011, 09:40 AM
Bronze Member

Default Borough 19 / AEMC 2012 Sprint Championship 2012

Provisional calender is out and its looking good

None of the rounds clash with pre booked holidays / family events so its a full on challenge this year.

Will still be competing in Roadgoing Production class in the same spec as last year - in fact this years budget was spent preparing for TOTB, so tyres from last season are being carried over - MSA still allowing list 1B in the 2012 blue book

Will post full event calender once it it officially released - the only prep needed is new rear discs and pads, new cluch slave cylinder (occaisionally lost the clutch pedel on drive home from last event) , fine tune the Syvecs and hopefully give the car a pre season runout.

March 18 is my 1st event at North Weald - I said I wouldn't go back there but its where the competion is most attended in my class.

WINNER - Scooby Shootout 2011 Modified Handling class

WINNER - MLR Blyton Sprint 2012 Class S2

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport
Old 30-12-2011, 11:28 AM
worzel

IIRC, wasn't this the place that people couldn't come to watch?

A full season, cool! And not a vast amount to do! This time last year you were flat out doing stuff!
Old 30-12-2011, 12:00 PM
Bronze Member

You need a vehicle pass to get in, can't remember how many per competitor, probably 1 - I will let you know.

4 out of 20 events of the AEMC series is at North Weald so I'd better get used to it!!

9th Overall - Ten Of The Best 2012 handling circuit 2 points for team Subaru 22B.com

With thanks to: ASTsuspensionUK.com JollyGreenMonster.co.uk ASPerformance.com AndyForrestPerformance.co.uk SD Motorsport
Old 09-03-2012, 11:35 AM
Bronze Member

Here are the dates of the AEMC championship, the Borough19 championship runs within it and selects 12 of the venues.

With AEMC its best 10 scores from 20, with B19 its best 7 from 12, with 2 double points rounds at Honington and Debden

Championship Rounds:

11th March......... Mallory Park BARC (Mids)
18th March......... North Weald Borough 19 MC
25th March......... Wittering Peterbough MC
1st April.............. North Weald Sevenoaks & DMC
14th April............ Lydden (am) Tunbridge Wells MC
22nd April........... North Weald Green Belt MC/Harrow CC
5th May.............. Curborough (long) BARC (Mids)
6th May.............. Debden Herts County
13th May............ Honington Borough 19 MC
3rdJune............. Snetterton B19/BARC/BRSCC
9th June............. Abingdon Sutton & Cheam MC
23rd June........... Goodwood Tunbridge Wells MC
8th July.............. Debden Borough 19 MC
4th August.......... Curborough (long) BARC (Mids)
5th August.......... Hethel Borough 19 MC
26th August........ North Weald Sevenoaks & DMC
22nd September.. Brands Hatch (am) Tunbridge Wells MC
30th September... North Weald Harrow CC/Green Belt MC
7th October......... Debden Herts County
20th October........ Lydden (am) Rochester MC

My 1st event is still 18th March, car now as prepped as it can be for time being, brakes and clutch done, oil/filter done. Not all Syvecs tweaks done, I have a speed sensor issue so found out that it wasn't using in gear duty cycles at TOTB. Back to AVCR for boost control and its working well, bizarre.

I know a few of you will be at the MLR 30-130 that day (good luck Simon!) but if anyone wants to come down I should be able to sort out a pass

Old 15-03-2012, 12:36 PM
Bronze Member

Got the competitor pack, 5 in class and 2 vehicle passes up for grabs

Old 19-03-2012, 06:53 PM
Bronze Member

Bittersweet day yesterday

Upon scrutineering there were questions raised about my Dunlop CR311's being eligible for the class, they are a list 1B tyre I was given the OK. The track was very damp so I took it easy during 1st practice and happy with how it went. Then just before 2nd practice starts the scrutineer comes over again and says the tyres need to be road legal to compete in roadgoing class and mine are for competition only. I argue that they are a list 1B and roadgoing permits 1B tyres so they should be allowed to run. They argue that the car has to be road legal to compete as stated in the rules. So we have 2 statements in the roadgoing rules that contradicts one another.

So I am given the option to use the tyres but move up a class to mod prod, but I can't since I don't have a cage so wouldn't be eligible for that class either! The only option is to put my road tyres back on which are Hankook RS2's - not a bad tyre when hot but these are 4 years old and full of flat spots from many previous trackday excursions, ho hum lets see how we get on!

No traction in the 1st 2 gears and the front left wants to lock up at will in the braking zones, an interesting 2nd practice but amazingly I'm top of the time sheets, I just assume everyone else had issues too! These tyres take an age to get any heat into them, the track is getting dryer all the time and I have confidence I can lean on the tyres a bit more during the latter parts of the track.

1st timed run and all is going well right up until the 2nd last corner, I had too much faith in the tyres and went in far to hot, huge sideways moment, well held (for a bit!) until the huge bump at the apex where the concrete meets tarmac and promptly sends me into a 180spin. Arse. turn her round, complete the course only 3 seconds slower than my practice, but 4 seconds behind the class leader.

2nd timed run again doing well, got through the 2nd to last corner fine, but this time a hude lockup into the hairpin, massive overshoot and missed the gate so no time scored. Double arse! Class leader has popped in a mid 78s and I'm in 5th place out of 6 with a mid 84.

So yet again with the final run just to go I'm way out of the running, just like my only previous visit to this venue. And just like last time I finally put a half decent lap together, apart from accidently upshifting to 5th instead of downshifting to 3rd on one corner. I posted a high 79 which put me 2nd in class. Just like last year, bizarre.

So damage limitation for the championship today until I find a decent set of tyres the scrutineers are happy with. I'm going to contact the MSA to get some clarification on IMO a conflict of statements in the rulebook.

Looking into it this is the latest press release from MSA, clear as mud! See page 9

http://www.msauk.org/uploadedfiles/n...ws_22_0212.pdf

Old 20-03-2012, 08:40 AM
Bronze Member

Hi Justin,

That's the MSA Blue Book for you. I've given up trying to understand any of it but then my car is only lightly modified and in areas I know do not come into question with regards the class structure. The only time the scrutineers have ever picked me up on anything was the use of a harness in my old Civic. It had a quick release mounting in the rear seats and despite the scrutineer telling me it was much safer than the normal seatbelt, I had to remove it and run without it to satisfy the regs. Oddly, the same harness had passed scrutineering a number of times before so it does also seem to come down to the individual and how they interpret the Blue Book.

The Hankook RS2 used to be on the 1b list as well although not going to be as sticky as the Dunlop CR311's but at least not 1a. I beleive the tyre lists cover a number of classes (some not road legal) and for road-going they must be both on the list (either a or b) and be E marked as well. If there is no E mark then the tyre is not road legal and therefore cannot be used in the road-going class.

It also sounds like someone must have seen the tyres and protested the use of them. The scrutineers are there only to check if the car is 'safe' but not to judge which class they should be running in.

All things considered, second place sounds like a good enough result so nicely done. Out of interest, who or what won the class?

Ross
Old 20-03-2012, 11:34 AM
Bronze Member

Hi Ross

E markings are not the be all and end all of road legal tyres, it is illegal for UK tyre companies to sell non E marked tyres for use on the road, but for example jap imports with non E marked tyres can run on the road because the law states tyres only need to be 'fit for purpose' so be road legal, as well as meeting other criteria (min tread %, tread depth etc).

I just need the MSA to clarify that all tyres in the 1B list are considered 'fit for purpose' irrespective of the E marks or whether it is for competition use only. The tyres I have do have enough tread and depth of tread to be used on the road, no E marks though - just like JDM Bridgestone RE070's

Old 20-03-2012, 11:36 AM
Bronze Member

Oh and John Start in an EVO won the class, also pointed out the tyres to the scrutineers

Old 20-03-2012, 12:41 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Hi Ross

E markings are not the be all and end all of road legal tyres, it is illegal for UK tyre companies to sell non E marked tyres for use on the road, but for example jap imports with non E marked tyres can run on the road because the law states tyres only need to be 'fit for purpose' so be road legal, as well as meeting other criteria (min tread %, tread depth etc).

I just need the MSA to clarify that all tyres in the 1B list are considered 'fit for purpose' irrespective of the E marks or whether it is for competition use only. The tyres I have do have enough tread and depth of tread to be used on the road, no E marks though - just like JDM Bridgestone RE070's
I know the E mark isn't necessarily the definition of what is / isn't legal, but without the E mark the regs. then become open to interpretation by the scrutineers and MSA representatives at the event and sadly, their view could change from one event to the next depending on the person present. As above, my old harness was deemed fine by some and not by others which is the joy of the Blue Book and also the difficulty of writing and interpreting regulations that have to cover so many vehicle types and component parts. Frustrating doesn't begin to describe it, so I know where you are coming from.

Proving the tyres are fit for purpose should be the easy bit (in theory) and it would seem that was the case as you passed scrutineering initially. They would only tell you if they were unsafe rather than not eligible for the class. Short of walking around clutching your Blue Book I'm not sure what you can do with regards the legality of the tyre. It goes without saying though that John will make the same protest at all subsequent events the moment he sees those tyres so get whatever proof you can to wave at the clerk of the course!
Old 20-03-2012, 07:22 PM
Bronze Member

I'm probably going to save the 311's for next season when the car hopefully gets caged and goes mod prod, for now I'll use some E marked tyres, I've got a few sets of half worn Khumos that should see me through the season

Old 21-03-2012, 07:39 AM
Bronze Member

Ah so mod prod is the master plan then. Did you not have to have a cage for TOTB?
Old 21-03-2012, 10:38 AM
Bronze Member

No, no cage for TOTB. There may be a rule at TOTB where a cage is required over a certain terminal speed on the 1/4 mile, but my car is nowhere near it

Old 21-03-2012, 10:43 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
No, no cage for TOTB. There may be a rule at TOTB where a cage is required over a certain terminal speed on the 1/4 mile, but my car is nowhere near it
I'm surprised by that given some on the monsters there are in TOTB. ANy joy from the MSA with regards clarification on the tyres or are you not pursuing it?
Old 26-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Bronze Member

Sent an Email to them today seeing clarification, lets see how it goes.

Although TBH I will probably use the Khumos whatever the outcome.

Old 27-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Got clarification, they are legal.

Next sprint on Sunday, North Weald again.

7 runners, will be nice to meet up again Ross - if those tyres were inelidgible I'd have brought along the Debden winners trophy for you!

Old 28-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Bronze Member

Ummmmmm no Vpower at my 2 local Shells due to panic buying the 95 UL ran out so people took my personal Vpower supply!

I hope its replaced by Sunday!

Old 02-04-2012, 05:18 PM
Bronze Member

Another bittersweet day again!

This is my 3rd Sprint at north weald and yet again another 2nd in class. Beaten by a well sorted sapphire cosworth, so quick it was only 2 tenths off ftd set by a class D racing car. I was 6th fastest overall, less than 2 seconds off ftd, which on a 85 second run is my best result to date. Should have brought the cr311s along I might have gone a bit faster!

Well done to Ross on his time, good pace considering the brake issues!

Old 02-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Bronze Member

That Sierra is a complete monster. I think I mentioned to you that I have only ever seen it at the first 7Oaks North Weald event for the last 3 years and never again so will hopefully not see it again this year! Getting to within the margin you managed was a hell of a job so well done.

When I saw the entry list I knew that 3rd was realistically the best I could get given my setup and I think I got the best out of the car on the day. Maybe could have been a fraction quicker with more brakes, but nothing near enough to compete with you and the Sierra. Anyway, got to get some new pads on order and fitted. Thanks for the recommendation yesterday, will be giving those a good look over before making a choice.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Bronze Member

Decided to seek clarification on the coilover situation with regards legality in the roadgoing class as per the Blue Book details below. I don't want to be inadvertently pulling any wool over other competitors eyes so will run in Sports Libre if needs be.

11.7.1. The suspension type and mountings must
remain the same as that fitted by the vehicle
manufacturer.

It seems that coilovers of my type are allowed as they are still spring/damper combination and are mounted to the same points as those used by the OEM setup. Apparently this rule is aimed at instances where someone may change from leaf springs to a coilover setup, at which point they would need to move to a modified class. Still awaiting final clarification on the spherical joint side but the initial response seems to be ok.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:57 PM
Bronze Member

Coilovers are fine, its the fact that most aftermarket topmounts come with rose joints which isn't allowed.

Old 21-04-2012, 08:59 PM
Bronze Member

Back at North Weald again tomorrow, lets hope I can go one better than the three 2nds I've had in the past!

Old 23-04-2012, 10:58 AM
Bronze Member

What a day

Weather forecast said it would rain in the afternoon, so I came prepared for a soaking and thinking that FTD might not go to the single seaters....

At the drivers briefing they said they will try and get the 2 practice sessions and the 1st timed run in before lunch - and the rain! The guy in the Evo was there, so my plan was to run the Khumos all day - but I had brought the CR311's along (with my MSA letter!) just in case I needed them.

The 2 practice sessions went well, found my LC settings and car felt good on my suspension settings, I was about a second ahead at the end of practice so quite happy. Then came the 1st timed runs - rainclouds looming I knew this had to be a good banker, no mistakes because if it pours then there is no going back. Everything clicked, good launch, spotted all braking points, kept everything smooth - I put in a banker and some, monstered it in fact! A 77.10 lap, noone else in my class were under 80 seconds.

Then the rain came during lunch so I thought that was it, but it was only a shower and the wind was so strong it dried in no time. The rest of the day was severely overcast but it never rained again, game on!

So looking back at the times after the 1st run I was 1st in class, 2nd overall by 0.6 seconds. The 2 single seaters were having problems so its game on for FTD too! I'm up against the sports libre caterhams and kit cars which is a bit of an ask in the dry but I'm there or thereabouts. So I try the CR311s for the final 2 runs.

2nd run and its going well, I'm now pushing deeper into the braking zones knowing I have a great time already to can take risks. One risk too many, I lock up in the heavyist braking zone and spin at approx 80mph off onto the grass, spectators said they saw air between my tyres and the ground as I left the tarmac sideways - could have been nasty but it didn't dig in, just carried on through the wet grass towards the fence, erm phew I guess. Luckily I have time to react and get off the brakes, apply lock and as the car is going backwards turn it away from the incoming fence and back towards the track. Double phew!

So 3rd timed run and I get the braking right this time but the lap was a bit untidy and I didn't improve, this was a 77.15 but I clipped an Apex cone and got a 5 second penalty and my 1st battle scar - a nice little dent in the front wing.

The sports libre cars improved their times and FTD was a 75.99, so I was only 1.1 off the pace which is my best result to date.

At last the North Weald monkey is off my back, 1st in class, 5th overall and 1.1 off FTD, best result this season, plus I am leading both championships taking the view of minimum points dropped.

Well chuffed!

Old 23-04-2012, 06:48 PM
Gold Member

Hi Justin,well done.Wouldn't mind coming along to one of your runs if we are in the Uk.How do we go about gaining entry.
Old 23-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Bronze Member

Just PM me if you can make an event listed in the 1st post and if I'm doing that round I'll send you a pass. Most are free to get in, some won't let you in. The airfield ones aren't spectator friendly but the best event is Snetterton (that I will be going to) because its not just me sprinting, its a multi event format with circuit racing etc and excellent facilities for spectators (and drivers!!)

Old 23-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Gold Member

Thanks mate,will be in touch.
Old 14-05-2012, 11:05 AM
Bronze Member

Winner again!

Big day today at honington, a double points round at a venue I'd never been to before. First impressions was it was a very quick track, from the start its straight through the gears to 5th for quarter mile with a slight lift in 4th for a sweeping bend, then the rest in 3rd and 4th,at one point a quarter mile straight between two 2nd gear corners. Total track length 2.8km

Good job I'd got a bigger turbo, or so I thought - when mapping it didn't want to hold boost so the vpower map was near identical to the previous turbo, so I was running about 410hp today. It was a big power track today and Logan was there giving his evo its first run of the season in mod prod.

My best time was a low 91, way quicker than my closest rival which means a huge haul of points difference Logan put in a mid 86 which was a monster time, monster power too.

Only disappointment was my tyres being questioned again regarding e marks, which I had thought I'd put to bed at the last round. Apparently not it seems. Msa letter to the rescue, its nice to be noticed I suppose

Old 14-05-2012, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

Well done
Hope the tyre issue for both of us goes away !
Old 15-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

Only if you let me use yours. Otherwise I'll put in a protest

Old 15-05-2012, 08:10 PM
Gold Member

Hi Justin,can't make Snetterton as we are in France,which venues are the next best options.
Old 15-05-2012, 09:09 PM
Bronze Member

Never been to hethel so can't comment, Debden is no good for viewing so north weald is probably the best one for spectating (it has proper toilets!) And you generally can see all the course from the padlock. I am not sure what events I will be doing but I would suggest an august date because north weald in the wind and rain is not great!

Old 30-05-2012, 03:06 PM
Bronze Member

Snetterton on Sunday, just got the competitor pack through, only 2 in my class My main rival for the championship isn't listed and its one of the bigger points hauls.

I've played my joker so its double points for me

Its free to get in on the Sunday, just turn up no need for a pass.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:44 PM
Bronze Member

Winner! Snetterton was wet. Very wet indeed. At one stage they had to delay an hour as they pumped water from a small pond that had formed on the apex of the tight hairpin. There was only 2 in my class so I decided to stay with my 1a hankook evo 12s and see how it goes. 2nd fastest overall after 1st timed run but 4 secs off ftd set by a D class racer. It was too wet imo for non cut cr311s but a Porsche gt3 in roadgoing was only 3 tenth off on soft 888s, so thought I'd put my kumho on and see how it goes. But upon inspection they were down to to near the markers and I thought better of it. So instead I turned the boost up, improved my time but not ftd. Car is,in one piece despite my excursions, lol so good, if not a wet day.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 PM
Platinum Member

Well done mate.

You are doing really well
Old 06-06-2012, 09:53 AM
Bronze Member

Thanks Clive, I am now leading both championships for my class, also in the borough19 championship I am 1.5 points off the overall leaders (who have maximum points), that 2nd place due to the tyre fiasco has cost me!

Old 06-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Crowman

Well done Justin
Really pleased to see your doing so well

Keep us updated

Thanks
Old 06-06-2012, 03:45 PM
Nige

Nice one Justin. Well done mate. Do you have a diff controller in your car? If so do you use it for the wet sessions?
Old 06-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Bronze Member

Thanks all.

Yes I have DCCD, fully open in the dry, at Snetterton I popped on the last green before yellow