South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 28-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Bronze Member

Default strong smell of petrol

when ever i fill up the car lately there is a very very strong smell of petrol when ever i open the window for a bit of fresh air! i no it may well be something silly but anyone?
Old 28-07-2011, 12:28 PM
worzel

Sounds like a leak of some sort?

I wouldn't know where to start though.

Is it strong under the bonnet? Maybe a split fuel line?
Old 28-07-2011, 12:31 PM
Bronze Member

no its only when i drive i must admit when i fill it up i really fill it up i dont stop at the first click i stop usually at the 20th or 30th click!! but its still there even after a 280 miles and half a tank its strange the needle doesnt even go down excessively either its just the smell thats a little worrying
Old 28-07-2011, 12:45 PM
Silver Member

then if its there the whole time you def got some kind of leak
Old 28-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Platinum Member

Whilst leaving the engine ticking over up yer bonnet and check the end of your fuel rails (the end nearest you).

You will need to look carefully as the metals that the fuel rails are made of fail and very fine jets of fuel can often be seen.

Have you noticed your mpg is any different ? (worse)
Old 28-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Bronze Member

everything was fine when i put the new engine in this is what has stumped me new pipes new everything i was wondering if it might have something to do with the tank? if so how easy is it to change? and no the MPG is as normal if not a few miles better!!
Old 29-07-2011, 01:17 PM
Silver Member

i had a mysterious petrol smell on mine soon after i bought it. turned out to be a clip on the fuel hose to the petrol filter not quite tight enough. the leak was so small that the fuel was evaporating in the engine bay heat so there wasnt any telltale stains anywhere to be seen.
If you've had a new engine, even with new hoses & clips. I would be inclined to check all fuel line clips, changed/disturbed or not, just to be sure.
Old 29-07-2011, 01:55 PM
Nige

Check around the kneck area of the filler & follow to tank.