South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 06-02-2009, 10:21 PM
Silver Member

Default I need to clean my MAF, this is what i'm faced with!

[img]http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj289/cossienick1/06022009158.jpg[/img]

Can someone explain to me how i get the little bugger out... i'm really not getting it at the moment. Please feel free to draw arrows and things on the picture for me just to make it simplerer for me.
Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Regular User

Default Re: I need to clean my MAF, this is what i'm faced with!

Unbolt the filter and remove,loosen the large hose clamp , unplug the wires going to it.Then with a bit of twisting it should come out.Clean with brake cleaner then re attach everything.I also washed the filter in warm soapy water and left it to dry overnight.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:18 PM
Silver Member

Cheers bud, thats what i did in the end. I was looking at some instructions that i found online. I thought that the sensor was meant to come out on its own, didn't realise it was fixed in that bit of pipe. Anyway, jobs done. Not sure if that was the problem but the cars boosting properly now.
Old 08-02-2009, 07:24 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

On the early cars if the MAF gets really dirty it will cause the car to run lean.
In extreme circumstance the ECU will drop into limp mode and only give about 0.6bar boost.
I have seen this on a few occasions and it doesn't give an engine management warning light (CEL).
Old 09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
On the early cars if the MAF gets really dirty it will cause the car to run lean.
In extreme circumstance the ECU will drop into limp mode and only give about 0.6bar boost.
I have seen this on a few occasions and it doesn't give an engine management warning light (CEL).
This would explain it then, the sensor didn't look that dirty though to be honest. Not sure what 0.6bar is as my boost guage is in PSI but i was only getting about 7-8psi out of it.

Made me feel a little bit limp too....
Old 09-02-2009, 09:14 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

7psi is approx 0.5bar so what u saw sounds about right