South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Showroom > Projects

Projects Tell us about your cars mods, past, present and future!

Old 05-02-2010, 08:27 PM
Bronze Member

Default Project Calamity

Well its not quite as in depth as some on here but thought id do a little post,

After changing my clutch tone recomended to get me down pipe sorted as it started to blow,Obviously de-Cat was in order,
For any1 thinking attempting this make sure you have ;
1, WD40 (by the Gallon)
2, Axle stands/Ramps
3, Loving wife that constantly brings you Teas and will take the occasional bit of abuse to relive the stress of that Bloody bolt not moving
and finally a spare set of knuckles after you've removed yours on the poxy heatshield.

Unlucky for me i had none of these until a mate popped round to lend a hand.
Finally got the old pipe off just as it turned dark so will refit new de-Cat tomorow.
Old nasty Pipe

New shiny one , well kinda , 2nd hand off fleebay

as i had to take off the intercooler to gain access to heatshield i thought id give it a good clean up n spray, Also gives me chance to look at the knock sensor

Also does anyone know if i have to put the turbo heatshield back on or can i leave it off?
GTG now wifes due home and theres crap all over her dining table!!!
Old 05-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Thats the hard bit done.
Putting the new one on is so much easier and lighter.
Remember to trim the bottom off the top heatshield so it will sit back on top of the turbo/downpipe again and fix use the 2 rear bolts and the one on the side (at an angle) under the intercooler. Easier enough to do with a good hacksaw.
Old 05-02-2010, 09:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick View Post
Also does anyone know if i have to put the turbo heatshield back on or can i leave it off?

Do a search on Sussex and Surrey for historic posts on this. Without one, the temp in the engine bay gets higher which can have a possible effect on the rubber hoses and also on the efficiency of some of the fluids.....
Old 05-02-2010, 09:45 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Thats the hard bit done.
Putting the new one on is so much easier and lighter.
Remember to trim the bottom off the top heatshield so it will sit back on top of the turbo/downpipe again and fix use the 2 rear bolts and the one on the side (at an angle) under the intercooler. Easier enough to do with a good hacksaw.
Cheers,
Top part of Heatshield is already seperated as i undone everybolt i could see n it came apart when removing.
Think i sheared 2 bolts off but none that were in any relevant places,
Just trying to remove the sensor from exhaust at the mo but to no avail,
What size is the spanner needed it mahooosive?
Old 05-02-2010, 09:55 PM
worzel

Good job matey.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:39 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Cheers,
Top part of Heatshield is already seperated as i undone everybolt i could see n it came apart when removing.
Think i sheared 2 bolts off but none that were in any relevant places,
Just trying to remove the sensor from exhaust at the mo but to no avail,
What size is the spanner needed it mahooosive?
Will have a look in the morning, I have the special socket with the cutout for the wire in the shed. Was purchased when I did my Toyota.
Most are 22mm, that is the size I have but you can also get 27mm ones as well.

Last edited by Kei Man; 05-02-2010 at 10:47 PM. Reason: found it.
Old 05-02-2010, 10:55 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammi Sambar View Post
Will have a look in the morning, I have the special socket with the cutout for the wire in the shed. Was purchased when I did my Toyota.
Most are 22mm, that is the size I have but you can also get 27mm ones as well.
Yeah its about 22mm, gona raid me ol mans shed tomorow n find an open ended spanner that size if not ill go raid halfords for a cheapy
Cheers for looking tho
Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 AM
Platinum Member

You were braver than I was, I went to my mates to get his de-cat from his company and got him to fit it, meant a trek to sheffield but worth it as I got a free bacon buttie and coffee, good work Nick
Old 16-02-2010, 04:24 PM
Bronze Member

Reading the posts about wrapping ppls downpipes, lookin to do mine now,

Titanium wrap looks the nuts,but how far down the pipe do i need to wrap?

also was essin bout with paint today n its givin me a few future ideas on colours

I like the blue alloys, different
Old 16-02-2010, 04:42 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by urabusMY94 View Post

Do a search on Sussex and Surrey for historic posts on this. Without one, the temp in the engine bay gets higher which can have a possible effect on the rubber hoses and also on the efficiency of some of the fluids.....

The effect on the fluids will be minimal, likewise with the rubber hoses. Even less if you have samcos. Its mainly to do with heatsoak effecting the TMIC when there is no airflow to cool it, and some might say det on piston number 3 nearest the tubby. but i think this would be minimal still IMO.

Quote:
Reading the posts about wrapping ppls downpipes, lookin to do mine now,

Titanium wrap looks the nuts,but how far down the pipe do i need to wrap?

also was essin bout with paint today n its givin me a few future ideas on colours

I like the blue alloys, different

Just wrap like this... maybe go another few inches further but it needs to go no further than that as the effect would be minimal.