South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 06-08-2021, 06:28 AM
Bronze Member

Default Gear oil to 5 speed Ty754....

Has anyone tried the use of Honda MTF manual gearbox oil? I have the ability to put that in my gearbox. I am aware that Subaru recommends an API Gl 5 with a density of 75w90 as well as the old boxes do not like 100% synthetic oils. So looking for a bit, say that the Honda Genuine Manual Transmission Fluid is a semi-synthetic oil and at least in the Honda manual gearboxes that I have driven, the feeling of the changes is very good. I hope your comments or recommendation. I must do a total fluid change and hence I am consulting. I currently have motul motyl gear 75w90 Semi-Synt but the truth is that it is not very comfortable and the sensation of passage of the changes I think could be better.

when servicing a Honda vehicle that I own. I have noticed that the fluid is slightly less dense (75w80 i think) than the 75w90 I have used. I would estimate that when cold this should give a lighter and more comfortable gear passage. but hey, this is a presumption of mine and I prefer to consult before whoever has done tests or can recommend another way.

Last edited by viper1982; 14-08-2021 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 09:25 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I've always had good results from Castrol Syntrax in the 5 speed, which I think is mow called Castrol Driveline
Old 06-08-2021, 02:57 PM
Bronze Member

Cool, It is one of my options here that you name, the Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75w90 API GL4 & 5; reading the specification letter is an oil that is suitable for both gearboxes and differentials (as long as they are not LSD).

https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/5352051C2A4E196880257DB10051FDE7/$File/BPXE-9SXLHX.pdf

Can you tell me if that is exactly the one you recommend? there put the link to the Datasheet.

* For the other previous query, the truth is that I have been looking for information about the HONDA MTF for days, well, today I could come to the conclusion that it is a semi synthetic API GL4 Oil with a density of 75w80 (comparable in density to a SAE 10w30 / 10w40 motor OIL) hence it is somewhat thinner and is noticeable only when beating it in the drum. Now ... I consider that a 75w80 is not recommended for the gearbox of an Impreza turbo, right?

Obviously this since I have a Honda vehicle, and I have the doubt that the hell is that HONDA MTF so mysterious, and why the box of the honda works so well, the sensation of changes and comfort. I miss myself and that's why I started looking for more information.

Last edited by viper1982; 06-08-2021 at 03:04 PM.
Old 06-08-2021, 03:13 PM

https://www.scoobynet.com/drivetrain...-75w-90-a.html
Old 06-08-2021, 03:14 PM

https://broughtonlubricants.co.uk/ca...IaAl1vEALw_wcB
Old 06-08-2021, 03:15 PM

https://www.google.com/search?q=suba...&bih=572&dpr=4
Old 07-08-2021, 09:03 AM
Authorised Trader

Motul Gear300 is one of the best available so if this is causing issues then it suggests that the gearbox is worn.........

you may well find a "witches brew" will help however whats its doing in reality is masking any issues

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 07-08-2021, 04:58 PM
Bronze Member

well, I was using the motul gear 300 75w90, it was fine, but after reading and seeing other people's experiences as you say, I have had problems due to this, I don't know if it is a matter of being too additive and slippery or something else. but anyway, I took it out and put a semi synthetic from the same brand, the motyl 75w90. It is going well but the truth is that there is something that does not convince me. The box is good, the vehicle has 53,000 km so I assume that these boxes are so medium hard, or that the oil that I am putting is not the ideal cocktail for my box, my next oil to try will be the one recommended by Scott, which is the Castrol syntrax 75w90, overall this is trial and error and evaluating experiences. After testing I plan to place my result here, perhaps it can be useful to someone else who is looking for information on this topic. I am not in favor of having oil mixtures or adding additives either. I think that is something that can make things worse and I consider it unnecessary if you already use a good base oil.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:35 AM
Authorised Trader

sorry don't really understand your post........you used it and had no problems but because you read some internet myth you decided it wasn't correct???

what exact issue (if any) do you have??

ASPerformance 0191-4103770
PELTOR, PFC BRAKES, PAGID MOTUL, FERODO, SPEEDLINE, TRS, MINTEX, PIAA, HELLA, TEIN, WHITELINE, SUPER-PRO, MILLERS OILS
online shop!!
Old 14-08-2021, 12:01 PM
Bronze Member

Hello Asperformance, sorry for the delay I am with a lot of work in my workshop, regarding my answer, my translation from my native language to English was perhaps not good. What I comment here is not a problem, it is rather, a discomfort. The situation of passage of gears, the comfort of use, personally I notice something wrong. With Motul Gear 300 75w90 when placing it I mistakenly thought that this would make the gearbox softer and more comfortable to use, which was not the case. Disappointed with this situation, I decided to consult, read a lot everywhere and I find myself with the situation that there are comments from users who claim that a semi-synthetic oil can make the synchronizers "bite" better, braking better and giving a smoother or better handling...or a passage of changes more comfortable. I understand and I dedicate myself to mechanics, so I can when handling my box assume that my problem (if I can call it that it really is not) is that the synchronizers are not braking as fast as I would like, it is my perception Now ... the solution may be to choose a more suitable oil. As the density recommended by SUBARU is 75w90, it is not a viable option in my opinion to use another, another point, it recommends API GL5 therefore I stay in that standard, ok then what is left for me to try? Other brands with their "magic" additive packages and listening to the Subaru user experience, which for me is a fundamental point since, in the end, the user is the one who ends up having the complete driving experience in real life. I am open to comments and recommendations and that is why I created this thread, something worn perhaps for other users, but as in this group I see that little is said but what is spoken is rich in information, I consider it appropriate.
In short, I would like to feel the box softer and faster between changes. I clarify and it is no less important to say that my box is in very good condition, it was never opened and it has 54,000 km of use. Always with the OEM Subaru Oil until I didn't get more and had to change the brand, (that's when I chose to go for what I consider the most top and chose Motul Gear 300 series). Another point my gearbox has never been grinding with any oil tested so far.

I used Motul Motyl 75w90 Semi Synthetic, I don't like it either and I notice that the previous one (Motul Gear 300 75w90 100% Synthetic) worked better.

Finally and excuse the length of the answer, I have in hand the Castrol Syntrax Universal Plus 75w90 API GL4&5 100% Synthetic, which next week I will test and comment if there is any change in this situation either for better or for worse.

If with the latter I do not get what I am looking for, it is because I ask too much of a Gearbox that maybe it is already like that and I will never have a passage of changes as good and comfortable as my old Honda and my old but legendary Toyota Corolla AE101.

Greetings!

Last edited by viper1982; 14-08-2021 at 12:23 PM.
Old 14-09-2021, 05:54 AM
Bronze Member

Finally, and to close this post, after a few weeks of use I can say that the synthetic castrol syntrax Universal plus 75w90 has given the best result in terms of shift sensation and ease of cold shifting.