Old 01-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Regular User

Default liam doran at his best

Old 01-04-2012, 03:58 PM
worzel

Jesus! That was like some trophy Andros cornering
Old 01-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Silver Member

Looks more like D1 than rally cross lol.
Old 01-04-2012, 11:12 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

would have been ever better if he'd planned it

great bit of tv footage, but i suspect the other cars got out the of the throttle mid-corner in case he span right across in front of them!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:15 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
would have been ever better if he'd planned it

great bit of tv footage, but i suspect the other cars got out the of the throttle mid-corner in case he span right across in front of them!
+1

Although the above video looks cool, it was as much (if not more) luck than judgment, plus if Koutny in the Mk.6 Fez on the outside hadn't backed off, either he or Procter would punted him straight into the wall.

Not to say that Liam didn't have some cracking drives in 2010, but I'd rate his win in Poland...

...where he took 1st despite two heavy contacts that weren't really his fault (for once ) over the cool looking cornering video.

I hope Liam finds his 2010 pace again this year, as I thought he went off the boil a bit in 2011.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:10 PM
Regular User

even if it was luck , that's some car control whoop
Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 PM
Platinum Member

Are the Doran's still funding all this motorsport from the sale of PD's recycling business ? ............. because owning Lydden track won't make anyone rich.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:34 AM
Regular User

i would of thought they used that a while ago but it was a multi million pound business ,lots of sponsors involved nowadays .plus they have brought the circuit up to scratch and spent a hell of alot of money on it ,which shows , i love it especially as it on my doorstep
Old 03-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post
Are the Doran's still funding all this motorsport from the sale of PD's recycling business ? ............. because owning Lydden track won't make anyone rich.
Not sure where the money is coming from, but it must be flowing from somewhere.

Pat bought a second RS200 last year (the car Liam will be taking up Pikes Peak) and he is having a DS3 built for use in the BRC this year.

As Stewby has said, they are still pouring money into the Lydden circuit as well. I was there a week or so ago and they have reworked more spectator areas again (for the better may I add), so the circuit is still absorbing money.

Although a lot of the events there aren't huge, there is something on pretty much every weekend, so I guess it is trickling money in...
Old 03-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post

Although a lot of the events there aren't huge, there is something on pretty much every weekend, so I guess it is trickling money in...
What amazes me is the amount of money the competitors have to pay.

With the big events like the BRC and ERC I would have thought entry would be free to the drivers, at the end of the day if the drivers didnt turn up there would be nothing to spectate,

When you look around on a Bank Holiday for example and see how many peeps are there they must take a lot of money.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:20 PM
Regular User

And this bank holiday Monday is going to rammed with all the euros coming over , and for £20 is a small amount to pay with the amount of action , only wish my motogp ticket was the same price
Old 04-04-2012, 10:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
What amazes me is the amount of money the competitors have to pay.

With the big events like the BRC and ERC I would have thought entry would be free to the drivers, at the end of the day if the drivers didnt turn up there would be nothing to spectate
You could make the same argument with any race series though, couldn't you really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
When you look around on a Bank Holiday for example and see how many peeps are there they must take a lot of money.
Yeah, the ERC is by far the biggest event there and must get them some good money. Having said that, they've had to splash out a lot on the track to get the ERC event back there and the vast majority of events there in the rest of the year don't get anywhere near the same level of turnout.

As a spectator Lydden is, at present, one of the few circuits where I don't feel like the prices are taking the piss (yet). The
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewby View Post
And this bank holiday Monday is going to rammed with all the euros coming over , and for £20 is a small amount to pay with the amount of action , only wish my motogp ticket was the same price
Ha, yeah! GP tickets are almost £70 this year, aren't they?
Old 04-04-2012, 08:07 PM
Regular User

£75 for a roaming grandstand ticket , but still wouldn't miss it
Old 11-04-2012, 12:48 PM
Gold Member

And now, Liam Doran at his very worst...

...making contact with another car after crossing the finish line.

Unless there was something occuring in the car we are not aware of, I find it hard to imagine how that swerve after the flag can be justified: or how such behaviour can go unpunished.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Yeah, that looks like a guy who's raging inside the car and decided to take revenge as the earliest opportunity....

Not very clever.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Yeah, that looks like a guy who's raging inside the car and decided to take revenge as the earliest opportunity....

Not very clever.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:02 PM
Bronze Member

I was standing just the other side from when he did that - think it was meant to be a warning tap as the other driver knocked him off prior to the restart. But Liam Doran was so inconsistant all day - but is quick once he gets going its all about Faust
Old 11-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie :) View Post
I was standing just the other side from when he did that - think it was meant to be a warning tap as the other driver knocked him off prior to the restart. But Liam Doran was so inconsistant all day - but is quick once he gets going its all about Faust
The other driver knocked him off prior to the restart? Liam got spun after the start of the second restart and the collision with Lindefjell happened at the end of the same race. You could argue that Lindefjell did make an aggressive cut across the lines of cars in both the first run of heat 2 and the restart, but Lindefjell had a better start and was very nearly a car length ahead of Liam. Seeing he was coming across and he had almost a car length on him, Liam could have braked, but he held his line and got spun out as a consequence.

As for giving a "warning tap", he's a driver, not a judge. Punishment (if needed) should be handed out by the authorities, not by drivers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottie :) View Post
But Liam Doran was so inconsistant all day - but is quick once he gets going its all about Faust
Agreed and agreed. Liam was jap dropping in the first heat, absolutely on the ragged edge. He looked messy at the start of the second heat (after the restart), but pulled in a huge amount on Lindefjell after the spin. The third heat was very hit-and-miss as well. We did at least get a good idea how quick the DS3 can be.

Bar one error in the timed practise Foust looked quick the whole weekend. Fast and very tidy. A well deserved winner I would say.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:02 PM
Bronze Member

Agreed