The only reason I wanted it
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Gutted evo driver

Ohhh yesss
Old 01-11-2008, 08:26 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Love the comment.... is it All-Wheel-Drive....LOL...since when did BMW do anything other then a RWD 3-Series.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:04 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Love the comment.... is it All-Wheel-Drive....LOL...since when did BMW do anything other then a RWD 3-Series.
I thought that,knows his cars then. Not
Old 01-11-2008, 11:37 PM
worzel

Same as!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:03 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Never underestimate a E46 M3 in the right hands. I go to le-man every year with a couple of mates who have E46 M's and they are such capable cars in every respect. Its impressive it took out the Evo off the line, but he would have been even more gutted at top end speeds. The M3 will keep going hard all the way to the limited 155mph.

They handle suprsingly well as well.

Further more you can thrash them within an inch of there life, and they will just keep taking it and won't break.

Really must get one myself one day.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM
Crowman

Agreed Rob
You can thrash them without the feer of them blowing up.
I did use a mates for a few hours and have to say they are great fun.
You can pick up an 02 for about 12k now
Old 11-11-2008, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
You can pick up an 02 for about 12k now
As much as I love my current car, If it wernt for the fact they only have 2 doors and only really a 4 seater. I would have got one before the STI8. Like you say 12K private and sub 15K from a dealer makes for a very nice second hand purchase. Not bad for what was a 50+K car new.

Bullet proof, reliable, comfortable, classy, and very good on depreciation - Cheap performance motoring.!

But the STI8 is even cheaper, seats 5, 4 doors, strong, 4WD , and very good on depreciation, so ticks most if not all the boxes for me as well.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:04 AM
worzel

Not having looked into the M3 too much before I got mine, I never realised about the E46.

Wether by luck or judgement (the first one I'm sure) Thats what I have just bought!

I don't know if another number in my cars description is important or not?

The full spec is : E46 M3 Coupe S54 3.2. Is there any relevance on the S54 part?
Old 13-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Crowman

There you go mate,in an answer its the engine type.

You had better get the scoob power up mate,as aint much between them right now

The S54 Engine is one of the best ever! Used in the BMW E46 M3, the BMW M Z3 Roadster and the BMW M Z3 Coupe. Voted International Engine of the Year and class winner of Engine of the Year for 3 straight years!

Here's what the judges said:

The 343bhp powerplant, which is housed in the M3 coupé and revs to a maximum of 8,000rpm, puts into practice know-how such as Double VANOS variable valve timing and cross-flow cooling for the cylinder head. Known within BMW as the S54, this 24-valve powerplant, which incidentally also won this category last year, boasts 365Nm at 4,900rpm and benefits from a bespoke engine management system with two 32-bit microprocessors that perform 25 million calculations per second. Once on the road, this eco-friendly engine – the vehicle is able to deliver 8.5L/100km (33.6mpg) – goes in hunt of supercars: while the M3 can’t quite keep pace with category rivals such as Porsche’s 3.6-liter 911 Turbo or Ferrari’s 360 V8, the vast majority of drivers are going to find the zero to 100km/h (62mph) time of 5.2 seconds more than satisfactory. The longitudinally mounted M Sport-developed engine also has race-car-like throttle response.

The S54 shares its format with other BMW inline 6-cylinder engines. Virtually all of its engineering details, however, are unique and oriented to the very highest level of performance. Given that other current BMW “sixes” have an aluminum block with cast-iron cylinder liners, it may be surprising that the S54 M3 engine has a cast-iron block. Why?

Compactness is the primary reason. An inline six is longer than a V-6, and BMW nurtures the inline layout because of its superior smoothness and sound. An aluminum block’s cylinder liners take up space; with liners it would not have been possible to achieve the engine’s 3.2-liter displacement without lengthening the block. The second reason is strength. Given that this engine develops a fully 333 hp from 3.2 liters – significantly over 100 hp per liter – its internal stresses are immense.

The S54 engine has stepless Double VANOS , which varies valve timing on the intake and exhaust camshafts. Though Double VANOS is employed in current 3, 5, X5 and Z4 Series 6-cylinder engines, in the M3 engine, it varies timing over a wider range and contributes in a major way to the engine’s stratospheric power output. Intake timing is varied by 60°, exhaust by 46°, vs. 40° and 25°, respectively. As in all BMW engines where it is employed, VANOS is hydraulically actuated in response to electronic controls.
Old 13-11-2008, 09:07 AM
worzel

Cheers for that mate!

Looks like I've got a good one then
Old 13-11-2008, 09:19 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel
Cheers for that mate!

Looks like I've got a good one then
Indeed it does mate,good stuff
Old 15-11-2008, 07:26 PM

Power increase is defo on the horizon and would have been sorted this Friday, if it were not for the the supplier of my PFF7's letting me down . The scoob is currently sitting on axle stands in my garage awaiting new wheels.

E46 M3, and STI8 are both very different cars, and stunning in there own ways. But once the STI8 is mapped up it will hopefully insure I don't look back and hanker after a M3 or a TVR tamora.!

Only slight problem right now is the dynamics of where I was going with cars has changed a little, having just bought back our old Zafira GSI today so STI8 don't really need to to be a 5 seater anymore. But its still pushing my buttons even as is, and a remap will make all the difference.

Massive difference between the E36 M3 and E46 M3 in my opinion. The E36 is very old school, and considering on paper one is 320bhp and the other 343bhp (23bhp difference in a lighter car(E36)). In real world conditions, even putting the build quality and handling to one side, the power differnce is huge in my opinion. i.e the E46 leagues better.
Old 15-11-2008, 09:24 PM
worzel

Spot on matey, I am really looking forward to getting my grubby paws on it.

I love everything about my STi8, this afternoon it once again proved its metal, following an M5 from Upper Dicker towards home, we had been stuck behind traffic all the way to East Hoathly by-pass. As I expected, he pulled out and began to overtake the line of cars (4 or 5 off the top of my head) and I obviously went with him. We were quite happily passing them at about 65 or so when he all of a sudden floored it. By the time I had spotted and changed down to 4th he had rattled on some, but the scoob pulled like a train and I started to reel him in steadily. Really pleasing because I was too far back to be slip streaming him. We got to the round about where he slowed down and then took off again! Stupid mistake this time, I was all over him like clap through the twists!! Fair play to the bloke though, got a good friendly wave!

I would never get rid of mine, unless financially I had to! The M3 would go first without a shadow of a doubt.
Old 15-11-2008, 10:12 PM
Crowman

Quote:

I love everything about my STi8, this afternoon it once again proved its metal, following an M5 from Upper Dicker towards home, we had been stuck behind traffic all the way to East Hoathly by-pass. As I expected, he pulled out and began to overtake the line of cars (4 or 5 off the top of my head) and I obviously went with him. We were quite happily passing them at about 65 or so when he all of a sudden floored it. By the time I had spotted and changed down to 4th he had rattled on some, but the scoob pulled like a train and I started to reel him in steadily. Really pleasing because I was too far back to be slip streaming him. We got to the round about where he slowed down and then took off again! Stupid mistake this time, I was all over him like clap through the twists!! Fair play to the bloke though, got a good friendly wave!

I would never get rid of mine, unless financially I had to! The M3 would go first without a shadow of a doubt.
What! And Laura did not have your balls tightly squeezed between her hands
Old 16-11-2008, 11:43 AM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman
Quote:

What! And Laura did not have your balls tightly squeezed between her hands
I was told to "Stop Pissing About" in no uncertain terms Funnily enough, I think the guy in M5 got told the same thing at the same time as we slowed to normal at virtually the same time
Old 17-11-2008, 05:20 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Lovin' those 318i's