South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > The Ring Zone

The Ring Zone The area for the Annual S.E.S Ring Trip. Plus all the information you will ever need on the infamous Nurburgring.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:28 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Default RING TRIP 2013 - Travel check list & Questions here PLEASE!

Those who have been before will probably have most of this stuff already. For those who have not been before, the below list is invaluable. Most of the items in the "For The Car" section are actually law in Europe, so I would advise that you make sure that you do / have these things arranged.

I'm sure that most of you who have been before will have this stuff, but it's well worth double checking, just in case. Anything that you haven't got can be purchased at places like Halfords, or worst case scenario on the ferry, but they do charge a bit more there. The items in BLUE are the ones that are Law in Europe! Please remember that the breathalysers are a new requirement for this year!.

The Check List FOR THE CAR

1: Spare Bulb Kit
2: Warning Triangle
3: Hi Visibility Vests (1 for each person in car)
4: Headlight Beam Deflectors
5: Fire Extinguisher
6: First Aid Kit

7: Octane Booster (personal choice)
8: Oil (optional but advised)
9: GB Sticker (if you dont have GB on your number plate)
10:Spare Key
11: Sat Nav (with European Data)
12: Crash Helmet (not compulsory)
13: European Insurance & Breakdown Cover (make sure it covers repatriation, just in case)
14: Track insurance (those insured with Keith Micheals, call Moley)
15: Driving License (including Paper Part)
16: Locking wheel nut tool
17: Tyre pressure gauge
18: Breathalyser kit

PERSONAL ITEMS

1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports
2: E 111
3: Euro's and debit / credit cards (inform bank that you are away for safety)
4: Mobile Phone & Charger
5: Headache Tablets (trust me)
6: European Plug Adaptor
7: Walkie talkies ?
8: Big bag of cash. Euros.

Those with TOM TOM's down load the shell garages onto your european maps. If you know of anything that need adding to this list, please feel free to add it.

Not long now getting excited !!.

Last edited by BIG"E"; 10-02-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:36 AM
Gold Member

Always a good reminder Ian! After my couple of trips last year I also take a basic car cleaning kit as the car gets covered in crap.
Old 09-02-2013, 07:51 AM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Taken from the AA site:

January 2013 - the French government announced that the implementation of the sanction for drivers not carrying a breathalyser – a fine of €11 – has been postponed indefinitely.

So theoretically you are still required to carry a self-test breathalyser when driving in France but there is no current legislation demanding a fine for non-compliance.

While radar speed camera detectors may still be legal at home – the 2006 Road Safety Act did include enabling provisions allowing the Secretary of State to make regulations to prohibit them but this hasn't been done yet – the position is different abroad where many countries have laws in place banning the carrying or use of these devices.
For some years now it is has been strictly forbidden under article R413-15 of the French 'Code de la Route' (highway code) to have a speed camera detector in a car in France, regardless of whether or not it is being used.
Penalties can include fines of up to €1,500, confiscation of the device and of the vehicle.
Until recently this legislation didn't apply to satellite navigation or other GPS-based systems capable of displaying fixed speed camera locations as points of interest (PoI).
New law in France
Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

As well as now banning all devices capable of warning drivers of speed camera locations, the French government is installing around 400 new fixed speed cameras and is taking down road signs indicating the location of existing fixed speed camera sites.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 10-02-2013, 01:56 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
New law in France
Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

As well as now banning all devices capable of warning drivers of speed camera locations, the French government is installing around 400 new fixed speed cameras and is taking down road signs indicating the location of existing fixed speed camera sites.
Well thats a bit stupid, considering pretty much every device on the market has this feature already. What are they going to do, confiscate every satnav in France that has this feature, and force the satnav manufacturers to release a different version for the French market?

Can't see them enforcing that for quite a while imo. Luckily we only drive a short distance through France!
Old 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM

Already in force!

New law in France

What should you do
If you have a satnav capable of displaying French camera locations in France then you must at least disable camera alerts before driving in France. We recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the satnav for advice as it is likely that a software or database update is available that will actually remove camera data for France from the device.

If you have a satnav system built into your car then we recommend contacting the vehicle manufacturer in the first instance.

Further advice
Driving regulations and customs in France are different to the UK. There are severe and rigidly enforced penalties for all road traffic infringements. These include imprisonment and a heavy fine for causing death whilst driving over the alcohol limit or under the influence of drugs.

There are also similar penalties for causing death by dangerous or negligent driving.

The French police apply speeding restrictions strictly and if you exceed speed limits you will face heavy on-the-spot fines.

If you break French driving laws you can also have your UK driving licence confiscated by French Police. This could lead to your vehicle being temporarily impounded if no alternative driver with a valid licence is available.

(16 February 2012)
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 10-02-2013, 02:27 PM
Nige

Robs brother lost his car to the French police for quite along time & had to make more than one court appearance. A very large fine went with all this agro to. As said above we are not there long. Best get a move on me thinks
Old 10-02-2013, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Robs brother lost his car to the French police for quite along time & had to make more than one court appearance. A very large fine went with all this agro to. As said above we are not there long. Best get a move on me thinks
Yes, but that was for excessive speed, not for something as daft as having the wrong satnav - don't want to panic any newbies
Old 10-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Nige

I think the newbies will all be adult enough to know this & do there own homework. Many of us carry smart phones that have sat navs built in? I can't see them doing jack tbh. Just a matter of sticking to the limit. I won't drive with you lot through France as you attract to much attention. Big spoiler's and driving way to fast for me & fugly
Old 10-02-2013, 03:06 PM

For any that have not done this trip before.

Please don't worry unduly about the above 6 posts, they are obviously correct,

but to put things in to context we only drive though France for a maximum of 10 miles each way ..

In the previous years only one person has had any trouble, and that was in Germany because, said person didnt have the correct paper work ie. not having a driving licence in the vehicle..

Last edited by BIG"E"; 10-02-2013 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:19 PM

Quote:
I won't drive with you lot through France as you attract to much attention. Big spoiler's and driving way to fast for me & fugly
Now that did make me laugh, Nige becoming Mr Sensible all of a sudden
Old 10-02-2013, 04:43 PM
Silver Member

When are you guys planning on going to the ring this year? Me and a couple of friends want to go this year but have never been before. How much does it cost roughly altogether all in all?
Old 10-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Nige

Do a search lots of info in here on the Ring costs ect
Old 10-02-2013, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtirobbie View Post
When are you guys planning on going to the ring this year? Me and a couple of friends want to go this year but have never been before. How much does it cost roughly altogether all in all?
all your info is here::http://www.southeastscoobies.co.uk/v...ad.php?t=14510
Old 10-02-2013, 05:59 PM
Silver Member

Ideal, cheers mate
Old 10-02-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtirobbie View Post
Ideal, cheers mate
No probs.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:01 PM

Guys whats the prefered route for this, do we avoid Brussels etc. Also thinking about shell stops on the way, asking here as I guess you all know where all the petrol stations are etc :P
Old 10-02-2013, 08:02 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post
Guys whats the prefered route for this, do we avoid Brussels etc. Also thinking about shell stops on the way, asking here as I guess you all know where all the petrol stations are etc :P
We fill up on the m20 before the ferry then again in Belgium at a shell after Brussels, same on the return. We did try a different route there last time which is best avoided as was a nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post

The route is via the Brussels ring road but its not normally too bad.

We're booked on the tunnel!

Heading out at half 6 on the 24th so should be with you around 11pm (local time) , we're then booked back at 2pm on the 27th so will be leaving you around 9am bloody kids!
Gold Member

Does anyone have a dicount code for DFDS? Return currently £90. Thanks!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:03 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Greg View Post
I'm normally one of the 1st to book. Every time I have though its got cheaper. This price will drop just keep an eye on it. Are you going in Fugly or M3?
Nige

Is anyone thinking about taking there motorbike this year?
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm normally one of the 1st to book. Every time I have though its got cheaper. This price will drop just keep an eye on it. Are you going in Fugly or M3?
Most likely the M3 Nige.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:14 PM
Bronze Member

Nige and bike and the ring that's a recipe for disaster
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Bronze Member

What happened there

Last edited by BIG"E"; 10-02-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2013, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
What happened there
Big'E' broke the thread

A sequence of posts got deleted by mistake - i've restored them but they have a new post time rather than original post time. He's been disciplined appropriately and is now writing 100 lines of "I will not press the wrong button, I will not press the wrong button"

Sorry if anyones posts are now in the wrong order!
Old 10-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Bronze Member

Tut tut
Old 10-02-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
What happened there

Sorry about that.

PLEASE USE THIS THREAD FOR ANY QUESTION, COMMENTS

That relate to this years trip
Old 10-02-2013, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Not sure what to say about the ferries this year,

The prices certainly have increased on last years prices at the moment by about £20.

I will contact them tomorrow and enquire about a block booking and see what they can do for us.
Old 11-02-2013, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Bloody hell only paid £8 more for the tunnel!
Old 11-02-2013, 06:45 AM
Nige

Quote:
Most likely the M3 Nige.
Good choice. What tyres & brakes are on it?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:46 AM
Nige

Quote:
Was that return Nick?
Old 11-02-2013, 06:58 AM
Nige

Quote:
Nige and bike and the ring that's a recipe for disaster
Fancy a passenger lap? I can ride better than I can drive
I know that wont take much doing!

Last edited by Nige; 11-02-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-02-2013, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Was that return Nick?
£49 each way I think! Worth a look? Although I'm coming back on the 27th not 28th.

One thing to be wary of as I was caught out a couple of years ago, the unmanned self service stations do not take some Uk credit/debit cards!
Old 11-02-2013, 03:36 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Fancy a passenger lap? I can ride better than I can drive
I know that wont take much doing!
Might take you up on that offer not
Old 11-02-2013, 03:56 PM
Gold Member

888s and APs Nige
Quote:
Good choice. What tyres & brakes are on it?
Old 11-02-2013, 03:58 PM
Gold Member

Can use my Tesco clubcard points for the tunnel too. Went that way on my ring trip last august - it was very quick!

Quote:
Old 11-02-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Can use my Tesco clubcard points for the tunnel too. Went that way on my ring trip last august - it was very quick!
I am in the process of, hopefully negotiating a price.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:45 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
That's good news Ian - part of the fun is the convoy down!
Old 12-02-2013, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder, we've got to fly solo both ways!
Old 12-02-2013, 12:56 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reminder, we've got to fly solo both ways!
Sorry!!
Old 12-02-2013, 04:21 PM
Nige

Quote:
888s and APs Nige
Oh s.h.i.t that spells trouble for the scoobs
Old 12-02-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I have just received the following email.

Dover Group Booking (DFDS Seaways)

To BIG"E"
Good Afternoon

Thank you for your email and your call today.
The fare we can offer you for your request will be £81.00 per car and up 4 passengers. Please see below the available sailing times for your request.

Dover to Dunkerque 24/05/2013 at 0800

Dunkerque to Dover 28/05/2013 at 2000

Our standard terms and conditions do apply to this fare; therefore if you wish to amend dates and times a £10.00 amendment fee will apply, per amendment, and all bookings are non refundable. Payment must be made in full at the time of booking. I am able to hold this fare for you until the 29th March 2013; therefore all bookings must be booked and paid for by then. After this date, the fares are subject to change.

Please advise if you wish to go ahead with the bookings and I will forward you a booking form. Space is limited and cannot be guaranteed until a booking has been made.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best Regards / Med venlig hilsen

Samantha

Coach and Group Sales Co-Ordinator

BU Channel

Well what do peeps think ??
They would not give me any more than 10% because its a Bank Holiday Weekend
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM

I'd pay the £10 extra and get the tunnel but then I'm not going with you so ignore me!
Old 12-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I have just received the following email.

Well what do peeps think ??
They would not give me any more than 10% because its a Bank Holiday Weekend
I`m up for this, if we all are?

Don`t want to be Billy no-mate`s at Dover.
Old 12-02-2013, 05:37 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I'd pay the £10 extra and get the tunnel but then I'm not going with you so ignore me!
IMO I do prefer the tunnel, how much mileage does it add to the journey Nick?
Old 12-02-2013, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
I`m up for this, if we all are?
Don`t want to be Billy no-mate`s at Dover.
You've got your own ferry Steve.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
IMO I do prefer the tunnel, how much mileage does it add to the journey Nick?
30 miles, About 30 mins give or take.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:12 PM

So they give a 10% discount but its still over £20 more than last year? Thanks for trying though Ian

What do people think? Boat is currently £81, tunnel is currently £98 based on roughly the same travel times.
Old 12-02-2013, 06:23 PM
Gold Member

I do like the boat as its far more social, but it does always take 30 mins more than the published times. My last trip was a good hour quicker including the drive from Calais to dunkirque. I guess it comes down to whether you like it social with a breakfast or much quicker without. My preference is the boat, but I know someone at eurotunnel if you'd like m
e to ask if they'd do a group discount?