South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > The Ring Zone

The Ring Zone The area for the Annual S.E.S Ring Trip. Plus all the information you will ever need on the infamous Nurburgring.

Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

I was starting to lean towards the tunnel, but the fryup for breakfast on the boat has just swung it back the other way
Old 12-02-2013, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
I was starting to lean towards the tunnel, but the fryup for breakfast on the boat has just swung it back the other way
Question being would it swing back the other way if Greg could get say.. 25% off the tunnel ^^

Does it then give time to stop for breakfast in France?.. will they look at us all funny when we ask for a full english?

Im easy either way quite like ferry's but never been through the tunnel

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Tunnel is not affected by weather......... Just a thought.
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 12-02-2013, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Tunnel is not affected by weather......... Just a thought.
it does by fire/engine problems though. Sorry but I prefer a boat...less clostrophobic but am happy to go to calais and meet you all other side
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Like I've said it makes no difference to us as we're travelling on our own due to work/children preventing us from travelling the same times as you guys.

To give an example though, we left Littlehampton at 4 UK time first time and were at the hotel by 11 (10 UK time)
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 12-02-2013, 08:44 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Boat is better for a fry up and a good chance for the 1st of many social interactions. But the price is getting a bit silly.
I could probably use my Tesco points on the Tunnel.

Whats the Dover Calais boat route costing ? as this is quicker then Dunkirk.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM

Ferry is currently £90 Dunkirk or Calais
Tunnel is currently £98, for which I can triple my Tesco points for.
With the points I have at the moment it will cost me about £40.

TBH I would prefer (and have always wanted) to get the Tunnel back as the Ferry seems to take forever on the way home.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:55 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Boat is better for a fry up and a good chance for the 1st of many social interactions. But the price is getting a bit silly.
I could probably use my Tesco points on the Tunnel.

Whats the Dover Calais boat route costing ? as this is quicker then Dunkirk.
don't know for May but greg and me have a return via calais for £39 next month
Old 12-02-2013, 09:00 PM
Silver Member

If everybody is that worried by a few quid Big "E" has the perfect money saving diesel that i'm using at the mo!
Old 12-02-2013, 09:23 PM
Gold Member

It seems the 7.30am outbound from dover to calais is fully booked. This could just be a temporary issue with their website? The next one is 10.15. Its £94 return for this route. I guess theres more demand so they can charge more.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:54 PM
Nige

Been over a few times with the bike on the train. Much quicker. Breakfast can be had once we are over there.
Old 12-02-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Been over a few times with the bike on the train. Much quicker. Breakfast can be had once we are over there.
Sounds good to me and like I say it makes the return journey alot more pleasant.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

Right then!!!!

This is the event organizer here..

I think we ought to get the ferry outward and the train to return. This way we can the best of both worlds.

On the way to the ring our mini holiday is starts so lets make it nice and relaxed, by having a good breakfast, chat and general chill time, you can even take some good pictures of the white cliffs as we wave goodbye to good old blity. You can even have a nice relaxed crap!

We will meet as in previous years at the Shell service station Junction 11, M20, at 06.45 to depart @ 07.00. Then onto the ferry port for 07.15.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Right then!!!!

I think we ought to get the ferry outward and the train to return. This way we can the best of both worlds.

On the way to the ring our mini holiday is starts so lets make it nice and relaxed, by having a good breakfast, chat and general chill time, you can even take some good pictures of the white cliffs as we wave goodbye to good old blity. You can even have a nice relaxed crap!

We will meet as in previous years at the Shell service station Junction 11, M20, at 06.45 to depart @ 07.00. Then onto the ferry port for 07.15.
Fine with me as I get a free return trip with the Tesco vouchers....
It better be a bright sunny departure though 'E' or I'll be puking in ya hoodie.
Old 13-02-2013, 09:49 AM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Right then!!!!

Good call Ian, happy with that as long as my driver is too!!
Old 13-02-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Right then!!!!

On further investigation to book two single trips it works out quite a bit more expensive.

From £81 return to £120, for 2 X singles trips

So we are back to plan A

Ferry return trip 24/05/2013 @ 08.00 (outward)

28/05/2013 @ 18.00 (homeward) Slightly earlier for those that dont want to get back to late.

I do hope this meets with the majorities approval.

Last edited by BIG"E"; 13-02-2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old 13-02-2013, 05:58 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
On further investigation to book two single trips it works out quite a bit more expensive.

From £81 return to £120, for 2 X singles trips

So we are back to plan A

Ferry return trip 24/05/2013 @ 08.00 (outward)

28/05/2013 @ 18.00 (homeward) Slightly earlier for those that dont want to get back to late.

I do hope this meets with the majorities approval.
Thanks Ian. I know the ferry takes a tiny bit longer but it is far more social. The full English is definately worth it! It's what has been done with prior trips and I know we've not had any issues so far!
Old 13-02-2013, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I think the 6pm boat is best anyway - as it lets us get on the 4pm or 8pm if we need to. Sure one year we got back to the port early and ended up on the 4pm one (was it last year in the rain?)
Old 13-02-2013, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I think the 6pm boat is best anyway - as it lets us get on the 4pm or 8pm if we need to. Sure one year we got back to the port early and ended up on the 4pm one (was it last year in the rain?)
Not sure if it was last year or the year before, was it last year we went passed the police that had pulled over Porsche then they let him go as we all flew by. ?
Old 13-02-2013, 09:40 PM
Nige

28/5 return ferry to be booked for 20.00 as normal? As above says 18.00?
Old 13-02-2013, 10:21 PM

Quote:
28/5 return ferry to be booked for 20.00 as normal? As above says 18.00?
Nige with regard the time of the return ferry some people have mentioned to me that they would prefer the 18.00, we have managed to get this the ferry, for the last two years so I think its easily achievable, unless we decide to go back via Brugge?

With regard to booking the ferry.

To qualify for the discounted price we need to book on a booking form which I can get from DFDS.

At the moment we need one more vehicle to get the discount.!!!

Scooby Stu

Tomma

Jura

are you yet in a position to confirm yet ??

Last edited by BIG"E"; 13-02-2013 at 10:25 PM.
Old 14-02-2013, 04:36 PM
Nige

Your right the 18.00 is easy & no problem. The reason we have booked 20.00 is just in case. The ferry company don't mind us tuning up early. They do however charge if your late & can make you wait many hours. So giving the group a little comfort zone with the 20.00 booking.
Old 14-02-2013, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Your right the 18.00 is easy & no problem. The reason we have booked 20.00 is just in case. The ferry company don't mind us tuning up early. They do however charge if your late & can make you wait many hours. So giving the group a little comfort zone with the 20.00 booking.
Point taken..

We need just one more to qualify for the discount...
Old 14-02-2013, 05:51 PM
Platinum Member

Have we thought about Calais return? A nice hour on the ferry back is always nice. This is what I have done last two trips
Old 14-02-2013, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hongkongfooi View Post
Have we thought about Calais return? A nice hour on the ferry back is always nice. This is what I have done last two trips
No Why??

According to DFDFs web site the difference in time is 30 minutes and that is how long it takes from Dunkirk to Calais. The least time I spend driving in France the better.

For the last four years I have done this trip, everything has worked like clock work
Old 11-04-2013, 12:08 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBugEye View Post
Already in force!

New law in France
Effective from 3 January 2012 French laws prohibiting drivers from carrying devices capable of detecting speed cameras have been extended to include devices able to warn or inform of the location of speed cameras e.g. satnav or gps systems capable of showing speed camera sites as PoI.

As well as now banning all devices capable of warning drivers of speed camera locations, the French government is installing around 400 new fixed speed cameras and is taking down road signs indicating the location of existing fixed speed camera sites.

What should you do
If you have a satnav capable of displaying French camera locations in France then you must at least disable camera alerts before driving in France. We recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the satnav for advice as it is likely that a software or database update is available that will actually remove camera data for France from the device.

If you have a satnav system built into your car then we recommend contacting the vehicle manufacturer in the first instance.

Further advice
Driving regulations and customs in France are different to the UK. There are severe and rigidly enforced penalties for all road traffic infringements. These include imprisonment and a heavy fine for causing death whilst driving over the alcohol limit or under the influence of drugs.

There are also similar penalties for causing death by dangerous or negligent driving.

The French police apply speeding restrictions strictly and if you exceed speed limits you will face heavy on-the-spot fines.

If you break French driving laws you can also have your UK driving licence confiscated by French Police. This could lead to your vehicle being temporarily impounded if no alternative driver with a valid licence is available.

(16 February 2012)
I know this has been debated but was looking at Sat Nav`s yesterday in Ruby Murry`s, a sales advisor said `Make sure you delete speed camera detection before going through France`.
Old 11-04-2013, 01:18 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolesroor View Post
I know this has been debated but was looking at Sat Nav`s yesterday in Ruby Murry`s, a sales advisor said `Make sure you delete speed camera detection before going through France`.

Good point
Old 11-04-2013, 04:55 PM

If you buy a Garmin unit they have got around it by not having speed cameras in the database for France, they have accident black spots!
Old 12-04-2013, 09:42 AM
Regular User

Alternatively, knowing what the French rozzers are like, drive at the speed limit on a bog standard sat nav and wait until Belgium. Problem solved.

You'll have to tie BigE to someone else's car though, to slow him down enough
Old 12-04-2013, 09:54 AM

you can tie him to my car as i'm going to have problems keeping up in mine.
2003 Blobeye WRX SL Wagon
Old 12-04-2013, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocks Beard View Post

Old 12-04-2013, 10:45 AM

The trouble is if BIG E is in front he may have taken out all of the speed signs as we know he likes a little off roading
Old 12-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The trouble is if BIG E is in front he may have taken out all of the speed signs as we know he likes a little off roading
LOL
Old 12-04-2013, 12:51 PM

lol @ Lucky

Apparently TomTom have released a free update which turns the speed camera locations into an 'accident blackspot' warning Oh, and Simon - you'll keep up no problems mate, we just cruise easily through France/Belgium and only have a bit of a play when we get to the autobahns.
Old 12-04-2013, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spocks Beard View Post
Who said that ?
Old 12-04-2013, 03:39 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
have a bit of a play when we get to the autobahns.
Hopefully we'll get a chance this year after the German traffic jam last year
Old 12-04-2013, 09:39 PM

The count down is on....

6 WEEKS TO GO !!!!!!

Old 16-04-2013, 08:29 AM
Regular User

Quote:
Who said that ?
Wasn't me
Old 13-05-2013, 01:06 PM

Is anyone taking walkie talkies? I was thinking of sorting a pmr446 out, buit not going to bother unless anyone else is taking one.
Old 13-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagon_Si View Post
Is anyone taking walkie talkies? I was thinking of sorting a pmr446 out, buit not going to bother unless anyone else is taking one.
I will be taking mine ....

They are ok when close together.....

Anyone else, we will also exchange mob numbers...
Old 13-05-2013, 01:33 PM

Quote:
The Check List FOR THE CAR

1: Spare Bulb Kit
2: Warning Triangle
3: Hi Visibility Vests (1 for each person in car)
4: Headlight Beam Deflectors
5: Fire Extinguisher
6: First Aid Kit

7: Octane Booster (personal choice)
8: Oil (optional but advised)
9: GB Sticker (if you dont have GB on your number plate)
10:Spare Key
11: Sat Nav (with European Data)
12: Crash Helmet (not compulsory)
13: European Insurance & Breakdown Cover (make sure it covers repatriation, just in case)
14: Track insurance (those insured with Keith Micheals, call Moley)
15: Driving License (including Paper Part)
16: Locking wheel nut tool
17: Tyre pressure gauge
18: Breathalyser kit

PERSONAL ITEMS

1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports
2: E 111
3: Euro's and debit / credit cards (inform bank that you are away for safety)
4: Mobile Phone & Charger
5: Headache Tablets (trust me)
6: European Plug Adaptor
7: Walkie talkies ?
8: Big bag of cash. Euros.

Those with TOM TOM's down load the shell garages onto your european maps. If you know of anything that need adding to this list, please feel free to add it.

Not long now getting excited !!.
Just been through this list and thought its about time to get some bits! If anyone else has left it as late as me, there's some bargains on ebay

Headlamp deflectors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370795576017
3 x Breathalysers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271191071862

Think i've got the rest of the list from previous trips. Just need to sort some euros now!
Old 13-05-2013, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I will be taking mine ....

They are ok when close together.....

Anyone else, we will also exchange mob numbers...
ok, the ones I had before I could turn up to 4w for a bit more zip, you'll hear me, I just won't hear you.

hopefully i'll be able to keep up as my mobile no good, I am on EE and it is a miracle if they don't screw my account up if I call them, so not sure if my phone works abroad anymore, when I went to Dublin a few weeks back they made a right old mess of things. don't have the bottle to ring customer dis-services anymore.
Old 14-05-2013, 06:40 PM
Gold Member

JUst been reading through this thread re the camera alerts on Sat Navs.I have a Garmin Sat Nav with full camera alerts loaded.I've been stopped,general roadside checks,at least 3 times in the last year and never had any questions regards the Sat Nav.Can't see how the French police could prove you had speed camera alerts unless they sat in the car with you as you approached a camera,especially as of all the French police I have come across,quite a lot,none have spoken or been able to read English.
Old 14-05-2013, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchie View Post
JUst been reading through this thread re the camera alerts on Sat Navs.I have a Garmin Sat Nav with full camera alerts loaded.I've been stopped,general roadside checks,at least 3 times in the last year and never had any questions regards the Sat Nav.Can't see how the French police could prove you had speed camera alerts unless they sat in the car with you as you approached a camera,especially as of all the French police I have come across,quite a lot,none have spoken or been able to read English.
Thanks Terry, good to know.
Old 14-05-2013, 10:20 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Just been through this list and thought its about time to get some bits! If anyone else has left it as late as me, there's some bargains on ebay

Headlamp deflectors - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/370795576017
3 x Breathalysers - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271191071862

Think i've got the rest of the list from previous trips. Just need to sort some euros now!
Ordered just in case
Old 14-05-2013, 10:27 PM

Haven't justified spending £££ on a GoPro so i've also just bought a dash mount for my Galaxy S3 (another ebay purchase, for the grand total of £4.50 delivered lol).

The S3 records at 1920x1080, and whilst its not going to be quite as good as a GoPro it'll be more than good enough for youtube i hope
Old 14-05-2013, 10:33 PM

thinking of doing the same with my iphone5. keep looking for a cheap ebay camera but think quality will be just as good on phone.
Old 15-05-2013, 12:09 AM

Dash mounting your phone gives decent results, just make sure its braced firmly against the dash,
My 4S has made some decent enough video's (look in the vid section at my over the mountain vid) 11mins of 1080p on the IOM, will do the same at the ring hopefully.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 21-05-2013, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Those who have been before will probably have most of this stuff already. For those who have not been before, the below list is invaluable. Most of the items in the "For The Car" section are actually law in Europe, so I would advise that you make sure that you do / have these things arranged.

I'm sure that most of you who have been before will have this stuff, but it's well worth double checking, just in case. Anything that you haven't got can be purchased at places like Halfords, or worst case scenario on the ferry, but they do charge a bit more there. The items in BLUE are the ones that are Law in Europe! Please remember that the breathalysers are a new requirement for this year!.

The Check List FOR THE CAR

1: Spare Bulb Kit
2: Warning Triangle
3: Hi Visibility Vests (1 for each person in car)
4: Headlight Beam Deflectors
5: Fire Extinguisher
6: First Aid Kit

7: Octane Booster (personal choice)
8: Oil (optional but advised)
9: GB Sticker (if you dont have GB on your number plate)
10:Spare Key
11: Sat Nav (with European Data)
12: Crash Helmet (not compulsory)
13: European Insurance & Breakdown Cover (make sure it covers repatriation, just in case)
14: Track insurance (those insured with Keith Micheals, call Moley)
15: Driving License (including Paper Part)
16: Locking wheel nut tool
17: Tyre pressure gauge
18: Breathalyser kit

PERSONAL ITEMS

1: Ferry Tickets (confirmation e-mail) & Passports
2: E 111
3: Euro's and debit / credit cards (inform bank that you are away for safety)
4: Mobile Phone & Charger
5: Headache Tablets (trust me)
6: European Plug Adaptor
7: Walkie talkies ?
8: Big bag of cash. Euros.

Those with TOM TOM's down load the shell garages onto your european maps. If you know of anything that need adding to this list, please feel free to add it.

Not long now getting excited !!.
Time for a final bump of this post

Remember you should carry paperwork for the car in case you get pulled over - paper parts of driving licenses, V5 certificate, MOT, insurance and breakdown certificates. Also remember that hi-vis jackets need to be inside the car (not in the boot) so you can get to them before getting out of the car on the hard shoulder.

I've got 3 walkie talkies here, so will have 2 spare for people to borrow if they want to.

Counting the hours now
Old 21-05-2013, 09:29 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
I've got 3 walkie talkies here, so will have 2 spare for people to borrow if they want to.
They've got batteries in, but they've been in there for a while, so it might be worth having 4xAAA spare batteries in the glove box if you do borrow one.