South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > Events & Meets > The Ring Zone

The Ring Zone The area for the Annual S.E.S Ring Trip. Plus all the information you will ever need on the infamous Nurburgring.

Old 19-04-2012, 05:32 PM
Bronze Member

Default Car preparation for nurburgring

Hi all just wondering what should I be checking on the car before ring trip
Also I've got standard brakes on my wrx, should I upgrade them and what to and how much
Cheers
Old 19-04-2012, 05:36 PM
Bronze Member

What power are you running
Most common upgrade are
Braid brake pipes
Uprated pads and discs
Then full brake kits like k sport or ap depending on budget

Adrian
Old 19-04-2012, 05:47 PM
Nige

Nut & bolt check = all of them. Oil water,diff's & gearbox. Then phone this man for brake info
Old 19-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Crowman

Yep as Nige said, Check and change oils if old.
Upgrade brake fluid and pads at the least would be my advice. Brake fade is not what you want.

Nige , have you checked your intercooler clamps, oh and your turbo
Old 19-04-2012, 06:01 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
What power are you running
Most common upgrade are
Braid brake pipes
Uprated pads and discs
Then full brake kits like k sport or ap depending on budget

Adrian
240bhp at the moment👎
Old 19-04-2012, 06:16 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason73 View Post
240bhp at the moment��
To be honest, if your going to just have a fun drive around and not pushing it then just get a set of perfomance pads, but any more than that i would suggest discs and fluid too.
Old 19-04-2012, 06:19 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason73 View Post
240bhp at the moment��
Might be worth looking into fuild and pipe change and maybe pad upgrade Just saw your car over on surreyscoobies would check to see if the fuild has been done if not it will need doing soon as per normal servicing for fuild change

As nige said alyn might be a good call as a lot is down to driving style

I know of a few people who have not had any problems with the stanard 4 pots on track at silver stone and others like myself who cook the brakes after a couple of quick laps
Old 19-04-2012, 06:47 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Yep as Nige said, Check and change oils if old.
Upgrade brake fluid and pads at the least would be my advice. Brake fade is not what you want.

Nige , have you checked your intercooler clamps, oh and your turbo
Ha! Ha! At least this time I have a proper turbo. You may need tissues for your laughter tears. Also usefull for any holes you may have in the type R
Old 19-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf View Post
Might be worth looking into fuild and pipe change and maybe pad upgrade Just saw your car over on surreyscoobies would check to see if the fuild has been done if not it will need doing soon as per normal servicing for fuild change

As nige said alyn might be a good call as a lot is down to driving style

I know of a few people who have not had any problems with the stanard 4 pots on track at silver stone and others like myself who cook the brakes after a couple of quick laps
Cheers mate. I'll phone Alan. When I bought it I had a 30k service done on it and I've only done 2k miles since. So fluid should be ok
Old 19-04-2012, 06:54 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Ha! Ha! At least this time I have a proper turbo. You may need tissues for your laughter tears. Also usefull for any holes you may have in the type R
Thought you were ignoring me .
Thank fook , normal service resumed
Old 19-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Crowman

Steve PPP is a good guy to ask, he has well abused 4 pots on the ring .
Old 19-04-2012, 07:36 PM
Events / Ring Trip Organiser

When was the Cambelt last changed ?

Just make sure all the fluids are at the correct levels and good quality.

Alyn is very good and will give you good advice.

Do not take this the wrong way,
but another bit of advice is: make sure you have got good brake down cover with repatriation.

The chances of needing cover is minimal, but should you need help it will save £££s if in doubt ask Worzel.
Old 19-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Moderator (formerly known as Bluebugeye!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
but another bit of advice is: make sure you have got good brake down cover with repatriation.

The chances of needing cover is minimal, but should you need help it will save £££s if in doubt ask Worzel.
Agreed!
Custom exhaust - Cosworth filter - Samco Intake - Tints - Bilstein B8/B6 & STI springs - SuperPro ALK - Whiteline positive shift kit, rack mounts, rear adjustable camber bushes, front ARB mounts & strut brace, 20mm rear ARB with AVO mounts, - Hardrace Gearbox and pitch mounts - Prodrive PFF7's - Front Brembos - Kenwood CarPlay - 1/2 carbon grille - STI front splitter
Old 19-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Ringmaster

Change the brake fluid!
Use a high temp branded fluid such as Castrol SRF or Motul RBF660
I would recommend Ferodo DS 3000 pads
Standard calipers and discs should just about cope if they are in good condition but if they are worn or a bit crusty then expect a juddery ride home
If discs need replacing then two piece rotors are favourite ensure they are fitted properly and check for runout bed in properly before abusing them or expect a juddery ride home
Make sure tyres are in good order inc spare. Tyre pressure monitor is a good idea, expect to gain at least 10PSI on a quick lap if ambient temp is high
Make sure cooling system is in good condition IE fans, rad ,cap, hoses & clips it will work as hard as it ever has
Change oil & filter, if its been recently done then after you get back
Check all levels including transmission oils
Check belts, if it hasnt had a cambelt for a few years even if milage is low then seriously consider one
Give suspension a once over and if possible a degree or so extra Neg camber on the front will help
Dont overlook lights etc some countries issue on spot fines for minor defects
Bring a few spares dont forget its a bank holiday and shops will be shut it would be a shame to spoil the trip for a £10 belt or faulty plug!
Old 19-04-2012, 09:15 PM
Crowman

Now that's a man who knows
Old 19-04-2012, 10:45 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowman View Post
Steve PPP is a good guy to ask, he has well abused 4 pots on the ring .
Don't know what you mean

Neil's covered the list well, make sure you check the hoses, don't want anything dropping fluids out there for someone following to find.

Brakes wise, i pushed mine quite hard last year and managed to melt my bluestuff NDX pads on the front. Had uprated front/rear discs too and they seemed to hold up alright. But in my first year, i managed on pretty much standard brakes as i didn't know the circuit at all.

Hoping the 8pot KSports do the trick this year
Old 20-04-2012, 08:03 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Lots of good general advice here. But my advice is, if you think your going to cook your brakes on your first trip to the ring, then you shouldn't be going on track and you could be a liability for others.

Just enjoy the track and drive at a comfortable pace, no quicker then you would drive an unknown dangerous road in the uk.
Old 20-04-2012, 08:18 AM
Crowman

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Lots of good general advice here. But my advice is, if you think your going to cook your brakes on your first trip to the ring, then you shouldn't be going on track and you could be a liability for others.

Just enjoy the track and drive at a comfortable pace, no quicker then you would drive an unknown dangerous road in the uk.
And carefull not to spin, hey Scott
Old 20-04-2012, 08:25 AM
worzel

Quote:

Very very sound advice indeed
Old 20-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Bronze Member

Cheers for all the adviceI have no intention of driving fast just going to enjoy the experience. I was just asking for advice
Old 20-04-2012, 11:53 AM
worzel

It's exactly what people are here for mate. All of the stuff above is good advice.

I reckon if you took in the advice of Scoobyslayer & Silversurfer, you will be sorted. So if you wanted to push a bit further you would have everything in place.

You will love the Ring experience, getting out on track is a fairly small part of the weekend really.
Old 20-04-2012, 01:01 PM
Platinum Member

There's a track.... I go for the food and beer
Old 20-04-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
You still impressed with your vredesteins mate? I'm about to get a set as there seems to be a shortage of fk452s at the moment....camskill are out of stock and spoke to one of the guys at ASF in Crowborough, he phoned his distributor and they're not expecting more in the country until late May!

Need new tyres before germany, thats for sure
Old 20-04-2012, 01:05 PM
worzel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
Me to mate, me too
Old 20-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
Me to mate, me too
No Joe with me this year so this is more for the road trip than the Ring itself. No Joe No Go simples.
Old 20-04-2012, 02:49 PM
worzel

Quote:
No Joe with me this year so this is more for the road trip than the Ring itself. No Joe No Go simples.
Surely you'll go for a quick one with Neil onboard?

:rally: :rally: :rally:
Old 20-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Crowman

Quote:
Sh it, someone has hacked Nige's account.

Nige wouldnt write such lady boy tosh
Old 20-04-2012, 04:40 PM
Nige

Quote:

One name comes to mind on his 1st lap Duncan aka Spunky = no brakes after a quarter lap Funny as watching him bounce off kerbs :bump:
Old 20-04-2012, 05:08 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
One name comes to mind on his 1st lap Duncan aka Spunky = no brakes after a quarter lap Funny as watching him bounce off kerbs :bump:
Scary watching him come by grinning then just about scraping round the next corner then spending rest of lap expecting to find him at the side of the track least he got a good car with good brakes
Old 20-04-2012, 06:17 PM

Quote:
One name comes to mind on his 1st lap Duncan aka Spunky = no brakes after a quarter lap
Might have something to do with the tesco value brake pads he had fitted especially for the Ring
Old 20-04-2012, 07:02 PM
Nige

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_PPP View Post
Might have something to do with the tesco value brake pads he had fitted especially for the Ring
Your not wrong there mate :EVO:
Old 20-04-2012, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Need new tyres before germany, thats for sure
What about Hankooks V12s or Toyos T1Rs ??
Old 20-04-2012, 11:16 PM

Too late, popped over to ASF in Crowborough after work (after recommendations on here) and 4 Vredesteins set me back the best part of 500 quid. Guys in there seem very decent tho

Did quite a bit of reading online before buying and the reviews of them are right up there it seems. T1R's aren't meant to be good on newages due to the sidewalls not being stiff enough? but they seem fine on classics apparently. Couldn't find that many reviews of the hankook v12's so went for something thats been tried and tested in the scooby scene.
Old 21-04-2012, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Too late, popped over to ASF in Crowborough after work (after recommendations on here) and 4 Vredesteins set me back the best part of 500 quid. Guys in there seem very decent tho

Did quite a bit of reading online before buying and the reviews of them are right up there it seems. T1R's aren't meant to be good on newages due to the sidewalls not being stiff enough? but they seem fine on classics apparently. Couldn't find that many reviews of the hankook v12's so went for something thats been tried and tested in the scooby scene.
I had Vredesteins on mine, admittedly not long perhaps I should have given them longer, but they didn't feel right.
I hope they suit you.
Nearly £500 that's a bit pricey though, still your sorted now and that's the main thing.

ps. I personally like the Toyos but would on Clive s recommendation like to try the Hankooks
Old 21-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

T1R's are shocking in the wet if you ask me... Very tail happy, could wait to get them off my RA
Old 21-04-2012, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG"E" View Post
Nearly £500 that's a bit pricey though, still your sorted now and that's the main thing.
Yeah, i could have saved about £25 per corner by buying online, but i'd probably spend another tenner or so of that getting someone to fit them, and theres the fart-arsing around trying to sort it and getting both sets of tyres up the garage etc so just bit the bullet and got it done on the way home from work yesterday.

Massive improvement over my fk452s so far, but then the falkens were old, tired and unevenly worn after a lot of miles so you would expect that! Hopefully they settle in nicely and don't give me the same strange feeling you had.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:04 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:

Great advice. I did just that and loved every minute of it. Another thing I did was let quicker cars go, hang back and give yourself some space if possible, that way you are not in a 100mph traffic jam.
Old 21-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Platinum Member

Steve they improve the more you drive, I really like them and will be buying another set after these for all conditions