South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:02 PM
Platinum Member

Talking Skullfudge P1 update

Hi Fella's.

Just a little update on the P1.

Collecting this coming Wed from Roger Clark Motorsport.

Air Con removed (never used it)
Full Motec Launch Control activated
Mapped for 20% Meths
Full Race Oil Cooler

Dave Rowe (Mapper EPS) formerly Motec mapped whilst Olly Clark was behind the wheel. They achieved an additional 5 full degrees on the ignition when mapping for Methanol.

I had been looking into several options regarding fuels. Bio did not work out to good due to availability (near garage at Crowborough) and VP Import is a tadge expensive at over £ 400.00 every time I fill up the car.

Meths proved the best at just over a quid per Lrt and can buy that in 45 gallon drums.
Can pre-mix at 20% with V-Power and leave in jerry cans. Fill up, flick the switch and we are running on 20% Meths.

Dave & Olly mentioned it ripped on 20%.

Will be on RCM's dyno in due course.

I will keep you post here, as to how it drives when I collect it.
Old 10-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Regular User

Default Hope all is well

Hi Clive
Sounds really good.
As your car already has a great spec and is a bit of an inspiration
Hope the extra power still makes it a drivable car.
Any indication of what figures RCM are hoping for
Is the meths easy to get hold off?

Mine the forged 2.5 is run in over the past weeks - now back at APi now for the carbon clutch 6speed and rear diff - have bought the parts, syncros in box replaced ect. Money is getting tight after this stage. With the bulk of it done - but still some way to go. I have 800 injectors now. I still need headers, exhaust and better induction. The eventual Limiting factor I expect will be MD321T+ which will make south of 500bhp.

Hope all goes well
Steve
Old 10-11-2009, 08:27 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightonmunich View Post
Hi Clive
Sounds really good.
As your car already has a great spec and is a bit of an inspiration
Hope the extra power still makes it a drivable car.
Any indication of what figures RCM are hoping for
Is the meths easy to get hold off?

Mine the forged 2.5 is run in over the past weeks - now back at APi now for the carbon clutch 6speed and rear diff - have bought the parts, syncros in box replaced ect. Money is getting tight after this stage. With the bulk of it done - but still some way to go. I have 800 injectors now. I still need headers, exhaust and better induction. The eventual Limiting factor I expect will be MD321T+ which will make south of 500bhp.

Hope all goes well
Steve
You shouldn't worry about the bhp its the tourque that pushes you down the road
Just had a all but final mapp on a 2.5 semi closed forge build running a t and made 453 bhp and 470lbs .
to say its quick is not justifying it .
when totally mapped you shoud see 475bhp /485bhp with 500lbs of talk so happy days
Old 10-11-2009, 08:32 PM
Crowman

Awsome stuff guys, some very impresive cars.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:14 PM
Platinum Member

Hi Steve.
I understand what you are saying and the car was fast before the latest visit to RCM but the 20% Meths will only be an additional 50-60 Bhp increase. ALthough the car is very lively it's also very drivable and fairly easy to predict.
We shall be expecting mid to high 500's when on the dyno.

I bet you are looking forward to having yours finished!. A genuine 500+ in an Impreza shocks most people when they experience it for the first time, and is a different ball game behind the wheel when you intend to drive it fast.
I hear many good reports about APi. Good luck Steve

CJ.
You are correct mate, as I have been coming up through the power levels you do begin to realise that bhp isn't that important. It's more the case of addressing the feel of the whole car with the power department being one of several issues.

I have called it a day now. I want to keep it as a nice example of a P1.
The list will never end and next will be a dry sump system, sequential box, Gas O RIng, NOS, bigger turbo, VP Import and so on.

My next project commencing very soon will be full race and built for the track so it will prove silly spending more £ on the P1.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 PM
Regular User

C.J. Clive
Yes I am looking forward to getting it finished...its seems never ending sometimes. A huge amount of energy goes into it. My pockets are always empty. Sometimes I wonder why I started it..but then I think of the end result

Totally agree about power not being everything - it is the feel of the whole car. I am throwing alot of money at the suspension too at the moment.

One day I might actualy drive it properly lol
Next spring is my compleation date - as out of funds
Anyway all the best
Steve

This is the engine spec as built so far for the 2.5 (engine just run in)

Api Stregthened liners flanged top and bottom
Omega forged billet pistons
Subaru Ring set to match
Crank bearing set - ACL Race - 3 layer lead, on copper, on steel.
Subaru Gasket & seal set
ARP Head studs
V4 Sti Heads - 3 angle valve seats, high temp valve stem oil seals, matched valve spring length.
APi Parallel fuel rails - diagonal feeds 1&4 linked, 2&3 linked.
APi I beam Steel Rods with ARP L19 - 9000 rpm big end bolts
APi Tufnol Manifold Spacers with O rings fitted
Api Heavy duty Oil Catch Can that returns to the sump
APi Grp N Prodrive rally version baffled sump
Mocal 13Row Oil cooler
800cc HKS injectors
MD321T+

Once the induction is sorted, tubular headers are on and full 3in exhaust is on...we shall see! Not chasing numbers so much...just want a very very quick classic with useable power/torque

keep us posted on the P1 clive
Old 11-11-2009, 09:11 AM
worzel

This thread is a really good read.

I have to take my hat off to you guys, as the attention to detail and knowhow here is top notch.

My own rebuild, while not cheap by any stretch is not on this level. And I'll be happy to reach my initial target of 400bhp / 420ft lb hopefully in the next couple of weeks.

Watching you guys go onto and way past 500bhp is inspiring. Keep up the good work and keep the updates coming as it's fantastic reading.

What with Skullfudge and Brightonmunich already there, CJ coming very close now and no doubt soon to be there and not to forget the monster that Jaffa is building, this is one serious set of scoobies.

Good job y'all.

Old 11-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
What with Skullfudge and Brightonmunich already there, CJ coming very close now and no doubt soon to be there and not to forget the monster that Jaffa is building, this is one serious set of scoobies.

Good job y'all.

Thats what i was thinking - some seriously quick motors in this club

Remind me never to go in a convoy with you lot, it'll be embarrassing!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:30 AM
Platinum Member

Steve, sorry mate, Meths is not any trouble to purchase.

Will send you the link if every you want any fuels.

Toluene, Methylbenzene, Methanol, VP Import, C12, C16, VP113 etc........ Nitromethane (CH3NO2)

Last edited by Skullfudge; 11-11-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Platinum Member

"Totally agree about power not being everything - it is the feel of the whole car. I am throwing alot of money at the suspension too at the moment."

What suspension are you looking at Steve?.

I realise the EXE-TC is expensive but in my opinion it's def' worth saving for. With 40 settings on each corner it provides superb results.
Old 11-11-2009, 03:24 PM
Platinum Member

So is CJ going to be the first Moderator for the new South East Scoobies 500+ Club?

Sounds like an awesome place to be!!

Great stuff Guys!!
Old 11-11-2009, 05:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBARMAN View Post
So is CJ going to be the first Moderator for the new South East Scoobies 500+ Club?

Sounds like an awesome place to be!!

Great stuff Guys!!
No may get another 10 bhp but thats it 500lbs is what i'm after thou
Old 11-11-2009, 06:21 PM
Crowman

500lb is unreal, things have moved on big time.
May end up with a very elite area on here for 500plus members
Old 11-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Regular User

Fiirstly - Hi Keith hope you are well.

Suspension for the time being is BR coilovers (very good - but not the best ...but all the budget will alow at the mo) - Front and Rear ARB - drop Links - Most of the bushes and ALK.

I may even miss off the ALK initialy and then add it. As personaly I feel that idealy you need to build suspension up in layers - try one thing and get a feel for it - add another - then another - change the coilover etc etc.

Clive - Can you PM me the link for the fuel - greatly appreciated. I will get it mapped for V power initialy and then play about with mixing stuff?

Worzel - I think at the end of the day it is how driveable the car is in the real world. And that 380hp mark is a good place to be in a way. With Simtek and its two maps (one is a mirror of the other in effect - so how doable this is we shall see) i want one map that is 350-380hp that is real useable british back road power and then another which is straight line autobahn insanity.

Attention to detail...but a real steep learning curve with these bigger lumps in classics - coming from 2.0T it has been like starting again in a way with the knowledge I have really be fumbling about esp at the begining trying to work out how one part will effect another. Hats of to people like David at APi giving me the info and advice.

C.J. Who has built yours. DIY or a tuner?

Steve
Old 11-11-2009, 08:22 PM
Platinum Member

Some and some
Bottom end TFS & Me but my spec
Heads rework myself on exhaust side and then rebuilt
Every thing otherwise I have done
Old 12-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Platinum Member

PM'd link Steve.

I agree with you. 380 - 400 is a great power for the roads. The jump from 400 to 500+ is massive in relation to constant pure grunt but also very drivable off boost.

At 400 I found you soon realise that you have something seriously quick and driving it near the limits and with a good set up it's fairly easy to find the optimum.

At 500+ it's a new ball game and the limits are much harder to find as your brain is telling you to slow down and the friggin car is saying "come on".
I was nearing the limits on the last 6 laps of Snetterton a few weeks ago and I was amazed with the speed you can carry through bends, but you are very busy doing it.
Running a much stiffer front end then finding the balance with minor tweeks Daz Davies & I were really impressed when thinking we were on Hankook road tyres.

Next problem will be oil surge when on Tripple 8's. We feel that the mechanical grip is so good that when I run on Triple 8 slicks a baffled sump may be a good investment rather than the motor going.

Seriously mad fun

Last edited by Skullfudge; 12-11-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 09:11 AM
worzel

Steve

Again, I totally agree with your comments on where I am / could be.

I have always said that I wanted a bullet proof 400 - 440 tops bhp and whatever the ft/lb that would go with that. I know that I have probably gone to an overkill level with the spec of my re-build for those kind of figures, but I want something that I can drive hard and enjoy, without too much fear of it going bang.

My Scoob as it is right now @ 370bhp & 380 ft/lb feels really good, knowing there is some more to come is something I am looking forward to big time.

I want to go FMIC next year with good induction set up (Jaffa Styleeeeee), plus a Simtek dual map (courtesy of JGM).