South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 26-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Platinum Member

Default Saw an accident today

Saw an accident today, a cyclist was knocked down by a lorry, wasnt the lorrys fault, the cyclist was weaving in and out of cars squeezing through any and every gap untill it got to the lorry, the cyclist stopped on the inside between the trailer and the kerb, when they pulled away it was on a slight bend so as the lorry went round the bend the trailer naturally moved closer to the kerb as the cyclist was still trying to get past, then he was knocked off and fell to the floor, only at about 2mph, the cyclist got back up as the lorry stopped and he started yelling at the driver. He was saying the lorry should be more carefull and cyclists have the right of way on the road etc etc

Not long after that the police and an ambulance turned up and started sorting things out, they spoke to the driver, witnesses including me and the cyclist. Not sure what they said to the cyclist but i did overhear the police man saying "your a bike, he's a lorry, cyclists do not have right of way on the road, if theres no cycle path you follow the cars in traffic not weve inbetween them................" so i think the cyclist got quite a telling off lol But why do they think they own the road in the first place?
Old 26-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Authorised Trader

When they pass a test, pay insurance and road tax they should be allowed on the road IMO. (just the same as if it was a motorbike)
Old 26-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Years ago I cycled to school nearly every day.
We followed all traffic rules, stopped at lights, didn't weave in and out and didn't ride on the pavement through fear of local plod catching us and yelling at us....those days are long gone.
Old 26-05-2011, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moley_WRX View Post
When they pass a test, pay insurance and road tax they should be allowed on the road IMO. (just the same as if it was a motorbike)
Totally agree with you mate, they can still cause damage to cars and motorbikes so they should have insurance, their using the road so they should pay to use it like the rest of us, some of them abide by the rules of the road so they should have a test and the ones that brake the rules should be punished just like motorists.
Old 26-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Gold Member

Lucky he hasn't got 10" wide tyre tattoo across his forehead!!! Would of been his lot!!!
Old 26-05-2011, 02:19 PM
Platinum Member

Lorry driver should have walked over to him and gave him a good slapping and when the cyclist asked "what was that for?" the lorry driver responds............................."because I missed you, damn!"

Agree with you all though, they should pay as us drivers do, I cycle but keep to cycle paths only.
Old 26-05-2011, 02:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
+1 moley
Old 26-05-2011, 04:07 PM
Platinum Member

some of us cycle to work every day....and pay car tax for the car as well....by us cycling we aren't clogging the roads up as much as if we were in a car...having said that I obey the rules of the road and give way to cars.....they would hurt if they hit me!
Old 26-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Authorised Trader

Down this way the local cycle club have a 4-5 mile bit of road (a nice fast one at that) closed 2 or 3 times a year to hold a race.

Reckon the council would do that if we asked them to close it for us guys to have a race in the cars?

Also loose count the amount of cyclists who ignore red lights, ride two-a-breast, ride down twisty lanes where it's unsafe to overtake them but they refuse to stop and let the line of cars past, and the last straw was when a mate asked one cyclist why he wasn't using the cycle lane next to him.... and got told to ''go f**k yourself''.

I am sure most cyclists are fine, but the actions of quite a few has made me hate them with a passion.
Old 27-05-2011, 09:27 AM
Silver Member

I cycle a lot and cyclists are the same as car drivers, there are good ones and bad ones out there, I find that being a cyclist now also makes me a better driver than I was before I started cycling as I used to get stressed with them too, but now I give them more room when overtaking and treat them with more respect as I know how close some people get with there cars trying to squeeze through to overtake.
The government would not charge road tax as a bike is 0 emissions, an Audi A2d is £30 per year tax so there would be no point. Insurance is something that might come in in the future, you never know.
Cyclists should not ride 2 a breast, go through red lights, ride on the pavement etc but they should not have to stop to let cars past (not to say the wouldn't if they are nice but they shouldn't HAVE to) as the law states they have as much right to be on the road as car drivers.
Old 27-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Authorised Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRX_Paul View Post
they should not have to stop to let cars past (not to say the wouldn't if they are nice but they shouldn't HAVE to) as the law states they have as much right to be on the road as car drivers.
I'm not saying they should HAVE to, but common courtesy would be nice.
Old 27-05-2011, 09:48 PM
Bronze Member

yearly mots at £10 pound a pop and a road tax of £5 could help the goverment out quite alot and stop quite a bit of resentmant from non cycling car users in my opinion. i know most cyclists do drive as well as has been pointed out about the tax, but if you have two cars you have to tax both so that arguement doesn't wash with me. we also get like moley has round here, at least one cycle race a month where some of the bikes will be breaking the 30 mph speed limits and riding dangerously on the roads to try and win, as moley has also said you try organising a car race on the roads and you'd get laughed at all the way to the mental hospital.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Spot bluddy on Moley.
They abuse their vulnerability.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:21 PM
Silver Member

Horses fir courses but I had to pass a cycling proficiency test.
I have to agree there is good and bad cyclisters.
A Car driving test is not just to Satisfy legislation with regards to maniacs in a can on four wheels but teach those maniacs the unpredictable nature of other maniacs.
So should it be for cyclists.
A licence to ride would demonstrate a competence NOT to endanger themselves AND others, whether it be accidental or force!! To see situations and consider the lightening fast changes in road conditions, particularly at their ratio of travel.
Old 31-05-2011, 08:26 PM
Silver Member

After all, we ALL love to use the roads.
It's a freedom. A joy. Paid for by us.
No one wants to harm another road user!
But just stay the "eff" out of MY way!!!!! You slow b@$t@rd¥!!!!!!!