South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > The Garage > General Mechanics

Old 01-09-2013, 07:25 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Default Downpipe and remap

I have been on the lookout for a decat centre pipe for the wagon. I've been offered a decat down pipe. The car is on its original ECU so not mappable. Where do I stand with putting a decat downpipe on. The second cat will remain.

I know on the Newage, anything to do with removing cats resulted in a remap. Are the classics the same?

Cheers

Steve
Old 01-09-2013, 08:23 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

Classic UK's are more tolerant to the decat then the STI.
The STi has a more aggressive map and can also boost spike once decatted. The boost spike can be controlled by increasing the size of the restrictor pill in the BCS pipework. But the fuelling should be checked and a listen for det is worthwhile.

I can always hook up my gear and have a check for you, but can't map it I'm afraid, unless you grab an Apexi PFC ECU and then I'll have a play for you.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member

Tone recommended a downpipe to me yesterday and reckoned I could get away without a remap, just need to keep an eye on things with a boost gauge. Apparently my car was running quite lean according to the emissions test and a down pipe would richen it up a bit. I have no idea what all that means of course but if its safe and gives me more noise and power then I'm up for it.

Shane
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member

Alternatively, what he said.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:48 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer View Post
Classic UK's are more tolerant to the decat then the STI.
The STi has a more aggressive map and can also boost spike once decatted. The boost spike can be controlled by increasing the size of the restrictor pill in the BCS pipework. But the fuelling should be checked and a listen for det is worthwhile.

I can always hook up my gear and have a check for you, but can't map it I'm afraid, unless you grab an Apexi PFC ECU and then I'll have a play for you.
Thanks as always Scott. I had read that the sti's are less tolerant hence asking the question. I think it's worth me waiting until I get an apexi etc and do it properly with the downpipe.

Does the same go for the centre or is that deemed less risky?

I need more noise/burble!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Baron View Post
Tone recommended a downpipe to me yesterday and reckoned I could get away without a remap, just need to keep an eye on things with a boost gauge. Apparently my car was running quite lean according to the emissions test and a down pipe would richen it up a bit. I have no idea what all that means of course but if its safe and gives me more noise and power then I'm up for it.

Shane
UK or JDM??

Last edited by Lucky; 01-09-2013 at 08:52 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:

I can always hook up my gear and have a check for you
Would be great one day, just to see what is doing.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Platinum Member

1999 UK classic.
Old 02-09-2013, 10:43 PM

If Decating I would get it mapped (get an Apexi) at least you will get the full benefit of the mods fitted and not run the risk of running lean..

The Apexi is a cracking ECU for very little folding these days, £350 odd normally 2nd hand, and if complete with the controller you can do all sorts of adjustments on the fly, + handy free gauges for Knock/Water temp/air intake temp/boost etc etc, believe you can even have pops and bangs put on the map at the flick of the rear heated window :P

Check with Scott or Simon on here but always thought that a more free flowing exhaust (decating) will make you run lean not rich.. as same fueling with more flow etc etc.. but I could be wrong.

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 03-09-2013, 11:22 AM
Bronze Member

I have to side with Ginola on this one. One of the very best investments we can do on our cars from an engine tuning side of things is a good system of ECU management to support modifications as and when we do them. If you plan on keeping the car for any period of time, i'd say its a no brainer.

I vote for a second hand Apexi or go ESL. Not sure if anyone on here has a cable/software for tuning ESL, but I would say those seem to be the most cost effective engine management solutions for classics. I run mafless with ESL on my classic and it is absolutely great!
Old 03-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser.... formerly known as SilverSurfer

I have a cable for ESL and the software although I don't think it's compatible with the latest MY97/98 board.
I may be able to exchange it with ESL for a small fee and can enquire if you end up going down that route.
ESL Live modules are a good solution and retain all the standard ECU safety features and 3d boost control and knock correction. The boards are £295+VAT IIRC.
Old 03-09-2013, 08:02 PM

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:56 PM

http://bbs.scoobynet.com/subaru-part...commander.html

Maggy has that up at the mo Steve

Mapped and maintained by FBTuning 07595 493581.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginola View Post

Cheers dude
Old 05-09-2013, 11:54 AM
Bronze Member

Very good to know you have the ESL stuff, nice to know Not sure if mine is the latest board for v4 though.