South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 14-08-2011, 06:57 PM
Platinum Member

Default I had a blast in the RCM Gobstopper !

Bruntingthorpe Aerodrome Charity Day. Sat 13th August 2011

What an event this is ! You guys must do this one next year.

5 quid and you can jump in any car waiting in the pits. Supercharged Mustangs - Ferrari's - TVR's - Caterhams - AMG's - Many Scoobs - Lotus's - Evo's and many more. You can even jump in a artic truck or JCB's and drive for £5.

Air displays and numerous attractions were also going on throughout the day.

Roger Clark Motorsport were also in attendance offering a limited lucky few with a two lap blast for £30.
The Gobstopper (which came out of retirement for this event) sounded awesome whilst mincing everything on track.

RCM also own a stock Scooby (Betsie) with EXE suspension and use it to demonstrate the handling of a basic OE Subaru. Matt Clark threw me the keys and asked if I would spend some time taking people out for a lap.

Whilst dropping a guy off in the pits Steve ( a mate of mine) came running down the pits giving me the "swap driver" gesture. He's opened the drivers door and said Olly (Clark) wants you.
Whilst walking down I saw the Gobstopper sitting there with the passenger door open and the engine sounding more than ready.

(I knew RCM were limited to the 36 gallons of VP Import that was available and pretty much knew that this was the last 2 laps of the day)

I wriggled in amoung the NOS tank etc to see Olly sitting there dripping and soaked through. Got belted up and off we went.

What I found out later was Steve had said to Matt "Olly is going to give that some serious with Clive in there isn't he" to which Matt replied "Yepppp"

The machine is just incredible guys. The seq' box is deafening, it sounds like you are sitting in the engine bay, it stinks of VP Import race fuel and it's foookin heaven.

The level of grip blew my mind I own an RCM built P1 so I know how a good road car feels but this is a whole new level. The thing just sounds bomb proof.

Whilst existing the last bend of the last lap totally sideways Olly floored the thing rather than pull over to the left and enter the pits. I soon realised that I was going to be treated to an extra lap and Olly's Leicestershire grin suggested a fookin riot of a lap ........ and it was !!

Pure magic watching him drive a thing that was trying it's upmost to kill all occupants. I've always hoped I would have a lap in The GS one day and the two laps were something special.
The third lap was a blokes thing showing mutual respect between two guys, and it will be something I will always remember.
Old 14-08-2011, 07:03 PM
The Nurburgring JUDGE!

Awesome mate sounds like you had a great time.. got any pics? I'll try & pop round during the week
Old 14-08-2011, 07:12 PM
Gold Member

Just amazing. Great write up. I think we're all very jealous...
Old 14-08-2011, 07:18 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby_Greg View Post
Just amazing. Great write up. I think we're all very jealous...
some people have all the luck and im not jealous at all ............ well maybe just a bit

good on ya clive
Old 14-08-2011, 07:34 PM
Gold Member

Lucky sod!!
Old 14-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Nige

That almost brought a man tear to my eye. Sounds like you had a fantastic day Clive!
Old 14-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Crowman

Read this on P1Woc
Clive if anyone deserved a complimentry ride its you mate.
One of there best customers.
Very jealous indeed, have watched a few vids, looked fantastic
Old 14-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member

That sounds perfect.
Old 14-08-2011, 08:26 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skullfudge View Post

RCM also own a stock Scooby (Betsie) with EXE suspension and use it to demonstrate the handling of a basic OE Subaru.
got any info on this clive,wot has been done on it.
Old 14-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member

This will give you an idea of what it sounds like but wont give you a clue to a fast lap.
I realise now after watching this that Olly was showing me how the Gobstopper goes
We were totally flat out round all the bends and it was sooooooooo different to this video.
Old 14-08-2011, 09:42 PM
Bronze Member

nice , can we all have a go
Old 14-08-2011, 09:55 PM
Crowman

Love the video, the guys is certainly enjoying it.
And to be fair he is not hanging about.
Old 15-08-2011, 09:42 AM
worzel

Superb stuff Clive, great report on a great day

If it wasn't for one or 22 JD's slipping down my neck on Friday at Steves Reception, I really would have joined you for this, Laura was right up for the idea but I could not risk driving really with that much residual booze in the system, that would have been a proper
Old 15-08-2011, 10:24 AM
Platinum Member

Awesome Clive...just awesome!!

Old 15-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Silver Member

You lucky Git... I bet there are a hell of a lot of jealous people, i know i am one of them...
Old 15-08-2011, 05:19 PM
Gold Member

Great write up you lucky, lucky sod! More pictures and videos please!

NB: Loving the transmission whine as he gets going there!
Old 15-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Great write up you lucky, lucky sod! More pictures and videos please!

NB: Loving the transmission whine as he gets going there!

There are many pics and several vids over the net on the day, I will try to find some mate.

I either attend events where the situation is chilled and I'm in camera mode but days like this are a bit different. I only took a few pics when we first set up in the morning but sadly never thought of my camera again

Whilst being strapped in the GS I was thinking , 5hit. I need to video this for the guys but having been pulled out RCM's other track car then running to The GS I didnt even think of getting my camera.

P2 will be finished by next summer. It wont be the same as The GS but it will be a furkin monsta and I wont need to film that as you guys can jump in and experience it for yourself
Just make sure you turn up at events like this and we can have a riot.
Some people with quicker cars keep them all wrapped up and basically ignore the fact that others would like to experience a quick car but I'm not one of them.
It's nice for me to see a huge grin on the faces of my Scooby mates.
Old 15-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
There are many pics and several vids over the net on the day, I will try to find some mate.
Nice one, cheers!

Quote:
P2 will be finished by next summer. It wont be the same as The GS but it will be a furkin monsta and I wont need to film that as you guys can jump in and experience it for yourself
Ha, I reckon you could have a serious queue with an offer like that!
Old 15-08-2011, 06:19 PM
Platinum Member

very jealous...
Old 15-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiggy View Post
Awesome mate sounds like you had a great time.. got any pics? I'll try & pop round during the week
Yeah pop round mate. Give me a ring first as I have a few things going on
Old 15-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member

I just emailed this to Olly Clark telling him to shape up with the appearance of his car then he too may see this happening
Old 19-08-2011, 10:27 PM
Admin, Meets/Events Organiser

Cracking stuff Clive, sounds like a fantastic day out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
If it wasn't for one or 22 JD's slipping down my neck on Friday at Steves Reception, I really would have joined you for this
Sorry matey but glad you guys had a good laugh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbtstt View Post
Ha, I reckon you could have a serious queue with an offer like that!
Most definately, get in the queue after me!