South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 12-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Regular User

Default Advice needed

After having to sell my wr1 because of a past issue, i am now back in the position to buy another toy, i was tempted to buy another wr1 but dont think il get one as nice as the one i sold plus seeing as i already had one id get something different so herea the bombshell been looking at evo 8's anybody owned a scooby then gone down the evo route? Pros and cons much appreciated
Old 12-10-2011, 10:52 AM
worzel

When I bought my STi8, I also test drove the Evo8 at the same time.

I said at the time and still maintain this, that out of the box, the Evo8 is a better car, no question. Slightly quicker (but minimal to be honest) but so much better on the road, much better grip levels.

The negatives for the Evo are the interior is absolutely fookin shocking, thin cheap and nasty. Where as the Scooby is quite a nice place to be. Better seat, better interior all round really.

So one out weighs the other really, they are 2 very good cars, but in my position I had to choose only 1 obviously.

What it came down to for me, was the Evo felt absolutely soulless, there was no feel to the car, the gadgets and very clever electronics did far to much for me, plus it just didn't sound anywhere near as good as a scoob. So, I plumped for the STi8.

So was I happy? Mainly yes, but when you see what some people have done with Evo's, even members on here, I have sometimes questioned it. I even went through a stage of falling out of love with the car, and to a certain degree the whole scooby scene (I'm sure some wish I had done completely ) but now, with this site getting better and bigger and falling back in love with the old scoob, the old SLaG (as it's affectionately known) makes me smile every time I start her up.

Tough choice mate to be honest. The only thing I can say 100% hand on heart. Either way, you won't be unhappy
Old 12-10-2011, 12:06 PM
'2 Spanners Qualified Technician' - If your job requires more then 1 spanner I'm your man !!!!!

Drive a couple of examples of both and see which you are happy with. As Steve said, you wont be disappointed with either. The WR1 is still a nice car and there are some really good examples out there for sale. For WR1 money you may also get into an early hawkeye Sti?
Old 12-10-2011, 12:33 PM
Platinum Member

I tested both... A sorted 400bhp Evo9 and a STi8 at 430bhp

I think you can tell by my avatar which one i got, after 9 years of Subaru ownership i wasnt ready to leave yet
Old 12-10-2011, 01:46 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Both very nice cars, and as said can't go wrong with either.

I actually found the Evo interior quality better than a newage. Styling aside the Newage interior, plastics and build are on par with a classic IMO. But if you get a Evo then MR seats are much nicer than the UK 260 seats I had a the time..

Out of the box the evo has more potential at mild levels of tune, and better grip/handling out of the box but was harder to live with as a road car and on a daily basis as a result.
I preferred the exclusivity and more subtle looks of the Evo over the scoob, but found the exhaust noisey even as standard, and the burble of the scoob is priceless and much nicer.
Parts and repair bills on the Evo is more than a scoob.

Subaru community much nicer and less full of themselves than Evo’s (Nige excluded )
Second hand parts and tuning goodies are a plenty with scoobs.

Knowledge base and willingness to impart this knowledge with scoobs is superb. More than I can say with Evo ownership.

Pound for pound Scoobs represent better value for money IMO.
WR1 nice if you like the idea of have something a little rare, but for just a little extra £ I’d have a hawk.

I’ve had several of both of various ages and models and tune levels, but I still come back to scoobs , and perhaps rose tinted goggles, but my lastest variant Hawk STI is superb. Handling, breaks, power for what it is, is the best I’ve had. That said I liked my standard UK classic for different reasons just as much, but we all have to move on sometime and that’s another thread and story
Old 12-10-2011, 02:49 PM
Platinum Member

This is why i had and will always get another, simply for this reason! big burble = big smile, for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by worzel View Post
plus it just didn't sound anywhere near as good as a scoob.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:16 PM
Platinum Member

I've driven both and in a nut shell:-

Scoobs feel more raw and you need to "drive" them .

Evo's don't feel as fast although they are. The delivery of power is much smoother and can make you look a very good driver because the cars electronics do much of it for you.

On the limits, you would crash a Scooby long before the Evo.

I've driven an 8,9 & 10 and to be brutally honest the cars felt like I was sitting in a fast Ford Mondeo that held the road well.

They ticked very few of my boxes where a sorted P1 or RA does.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 PM
Regular User

Thanks for your input guys, must say if i do decide to go down the scooby route it would have to be another wr1, but i am tempted by the evos mainly on the looks so far, so looks like im going to have to go for a few test drives and do a bit more research thanks again
Old 12-10-2011, 05:05 PM
Gold Member

Don't do it I was I'n this predicament before I bought the wr... Test drove my mates 8 fq 320 mr which was modded up to 400 horses... Definitely prefferd the 1 for looks fun sound etc etc... and as you see that's there where iv stayed
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Platinum Member

WR1
Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 PM
Nige

Stick with the scoob mate. More to pass for me

I had an Sti7 & loved it. The Scoob is a much better road car. Interior wise some of the Evo's are rubbish you must buy upper level Evos for a good spec. Come to the meet on sunday morn & take a look at both.