South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 23-02-2012, 09:02 AM
Bronze Member

Default Thinking about an SSQV

Morning all,

Thinking about getting an SSQV and it seems that the high opinions people have of them are reflected in the price. Does anyone know of anywhere likely to have the most reasonable price? I am assuming all the cheap 'brand new' ones on Ebay are copies (despite being listed as genuine) but is there any merit in trying to track down a genuine used one or is wear and tear too big a factor?

Thanks!
Old 23-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Nige

Normaly a very good bov. Just make sure your not buying a copy one. :EVO:
Old 23-02-2012, 11:21 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nige View Post
Normaly a very good bov. Just make sure your not buying a copy one. :EVO:
Yeah there seem to be no shortage of knock-offs. To be honest I think I'd prefer to get the real thing or not at all!
Old 23-02-2012, 01:18 PM
Silver Member

i think they sound better if you get the recirculating adaptor rather than let them vent to atmosphere
Old 23-02-2012, 02:58 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy-m View Post
i think they sound better if you get the recirculating adaptor rather than let them vent to atmosphere
Forgive a stupid question, but isn't the sound made by venting to atmosphere?
Old 23-02-2012, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

the sound is made by venting. venting to atmosphere is louder than venting with the recirc adaptor but you can still hear with the recirculating setup, it just muffled a bit as teh sound is going back through the airbox.

not an impreza, but heres a clip:-

you can remove the intake snorkel on an impreza to make it a bit louder if you want. I have a standard DV on my classic which I can hear because i removed my intake snorkel so you could do that with the recirculating SSQV setup

although people install VTA DV's without a remap, unless you are mapped for a VTA DV, then you shouldnt realy VTA.

Edit:-
quick search of e-bay shows the recirc adptors for £20-40
Old 23-02-2012, 04:37 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
the sound is made by venting. venting to atmosphere is louder than venting with the recirc adaptor but you can still hear with the recirculating setup, it just muffled a bit as teh sound is going back through the airbox.

you can remove the intake snorkel on an impreza to make it a bit louder if you want. I have a standard DV on my classic which I can hear because i removed my intake snorkel so you could do that with the recirculating SSQV setup

although people install VTA DV's without a remap, unless you are mapped for a VTA DV, then you shouldnt realy VTA.

Edit:-
quick search of e-bay shows the recirc adptors for £20-40
Good stuff, thanks!
Old 24-02-2012, 03:05 PM
Bronze Member

I have to say I love mine, and glad i spent the money. Good thing is it lets go at any boost, so even with a little bit of power it still 'hisses'

Try old Dan at Sumo Power. He knocked off a fair few quid for me and was the cheapest I found.

Go for it I say!!
Old 24-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
I have to say I love mine, and glad i spent the money. Good thing is it lets go at any boost, so even with a little bit of power it still 'hisses'

Try old Dan at Sumo Power. He knocked off a fair few quid for me and was the cheapest I found.

Go for it I say!!
Thanks Jay, have you had a remap after fitting or as per the advice from Andy are you running it as a recirculating system?
Old 26-02-2012, 05:21 PM
Platinum Member

I used to have one on my classic, was a great dv but was really loud at any rev range, eventually started to leak too but definatly go genuine mate
Old 28-02-2012, 09:40 AM
Bronze Member

Ok, so I have now sort of fitted the HKS to the car. Tried it with the recirc plugged and there is no doubt that the car isn't happy, most notably the throttle response is awful. So fitted the recirc. adapter to the valve however I can't see any obvious way to attach the necessary pipework to complete the loop.

The existing recirc. pipe is too short to get directly onto the valve and as far as I can see there is not enough room to fit additional pipework & adapters into the space that is left to connect the to together. Some pics below to try and show the situation.

Has anyone here fitted one of these using the recirc. adapter to a newage and if so how did you get it hooked up?

Thanks
Old 28-02-2012, 11:24 AM
Silver Member

where does that pipe go and how long is it? can it be re-routed ?
Old 28-02-2012, 11:43 AM
Bronze Member

Quote:
where does that pipe go and how long is it? can it be re-routed ?
Best I can tell it goes through every tiny nook and cranny possible and leads back into the airbox. At the moment it won't budge but even if it did it is a moulded pipe so might not take too well to being reshaped.
Old 28-02-2012, 01:26 PM
Bronze Member

Ordered a silicone elbow reducer and necessary connectors. Should be here tomorrow but Thurs at worst. Hopefully can get it all wedged in the limited space available.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:35 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossmarts View Post
Thanks Jay, have you had a remap after fitting or as per the advice from Andy are you running it as a recirculating system?
No Remap. Just bolted her on, stuck the bung in, connected the ickle pipe and away she went!!
Old 06-03-2012, 03:30 PM
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay View Post
No Remap. Just bolted her on, stuck the bung in, connected the ickle pipe and away she went!!
Thanks Jay. I got it recirculating in the end and having spoken with Simon then that is how I'll be leaving it until such a time as I can get booked in for a remap. Definite throttle and fueling issues on mine when venting to atmosphere