South East Scoobies  

Go Back   South East Scoobies > General Forums > General Car / Scooby Chat

General Car / Scooby Chat General chat, car related. Threads posted in here may well be re-directed to a more relevant home.

Old 06-01-2013, 02:56 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Default Test Drove and RS4 B7

Finally got the keys from my brother and had a nice long spirited test drive, and in summary was dissapointed and a car that didn't live up to my expectations.

In fairness it was a rag top version I test drove which is even heavier than the saloon. On a posative the interior cabin space was a very nice place to be and very grown up, but even that didn't blow me away TBH.

As far as the drive was concerned, on a positive the gearbox and clutch was fanastic, light and short throw unlike a E46 M3. And the grunt for a 4.2ltr V8 an no turbo is a joy but did feel it was at its best just on light throttle blapping about without driving it like you stole it. The V8 sound track is nice if not a little muted even for me who likes a quiet car these days

The suspension felt dissapointingly very firm and not that compliant as a daily driver, and didn't inspire confidence to push on hard. But once brave enough to throw a heavy car about it does do the job and I feel sure could do the business both on track and on the road. But you would need to take brave pills, and trust the cars capabilities if you really wanted to push the limits. If the car was more compliant and more comfortable you could forgive the handling, but it nither inspired confidence to press on, or waft you along in comfort when you wanted to drive like miss diasy.

Best way I could describe power is NICE. Quick enough, and does like to rev and picks up a little more after about 6K revs, which all feels odd in a heavy 4.2ltr V8. But to get the best out of it, it did need to be spanked and the gear ratios were great at just keeping you in the hot zone of 6K. But it didn't set my world on fire or push my buttons half as much as I was expecting and all in all a fairly OK experience.

All in all dissapointed for what is regarded as once of the best saloon's money can buy, and no longer on my must own one day list.

My older Modded S4 twin turbo running circa 380/400 bhp felt quicker and suspension was nicer and more compliant with its coilovers. And my previous S4 running 450bhp felt much, much quicker, and feel sure a lightly modded scoob would be on the tails of on an RS4 very easily, but would start to loose out on a high speed run.
Old 06-01-2013, 03:38 PM
Platinum Member

Interesting viewpoint that as I have driven sims brothers rs4 estate and thought very good, suspension was firm but no worse than my scoob and this on soft settings on the ast's.I agree you had to use revs when pushing on though but a lovely noise.
I guess you won't be getting one now then rob?
Old 06-01-2013, 03:50 PM
Silver Member

Old 06-01-2013, 04:42 PM
Platinum Member

Test drove one and it just wasn't for me, boring car IMO but sounded good with a full Miltek on it
Old 06-01-2013, 04:58 PM
It Tick's All His Boxes.....or Scratches Another Itch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anger View Post
boring
I think that word sums it up for me. NICE but BORING. It was neither fun enough to put a real smile on my face or refined enough to tick either box, and just not the allrounder I was hoping it might be. Although I've not driven one, I've been in the E92 M3 and that felt allot more fun and something you would throw around more and yet still maintaines enough comfort and build qualilty to tick both boxes.

So maybe a M3, non of the above, or me I think the 2 car thing is the only way to go eventually.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:07 PM
Platinum Member

The same Rob, the M3 is so much more fun and nicer to drive... When I grow up ( if ever ) it would be the car for me
Old 06-01-2013, 05:18 PM
Gold Member

The drop top isn't really a fair benchmark of the whole range if you ask me (not that you did!).

A lot of people find them dull though, so perhaps it is indicative.

I have driven the V8 and really liked it.
Old 06-01-2013, 09:08 PM
Platinum Member

I didn't drive a drop top